Pondering an AK purchase. - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion >

Pondering an AK purchase.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2010, 01:22 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the info everyone. I think I'm gonna end up going with the Yugo. From what everyone is saying, it seems like its gonna be worth the extra $50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowryde45 View Post
I've found that the Yugos usually have better fit and finish to them, than the Romanian models. On the Yugos I looked at, they had flip up night sights, and an interesting flip up grenade launcher front sight. Best thing about them is it looked like they had the RPK style trunion. That beefs up the barrel to receiver fit, similar to the RPK squad weapons, and also how the VEPR AK's are built. They also went to using the 1.5mm thick receivers on these models. The Romanian models uses a 1mm thick receiver. But then again, that could be just the ones I looked at.

Slo
I was looking through AimSurplus at the stats for the Yugo, and it says the receiver is 1.6mm. So that's definitely a plus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARnoob View Post
I've owned a Romanian "G" model and I still own my Yugo m70ab2 underfolder. They can both be moded quite a bit or left alone if you're not into that. The Romy G was nice (looked like it had a better receiver than a WASR). However, I prefer my Yugo. I've moded my Yugo and it's just a lot of fun.
The way you have yours modded is actually very similar to what I plan on doing. The different sights was something I hadn't thought of, but that's one thing I definitely wanna do now. Not only are they a better sight type, in my opinion, but it also gives you a longer sight radius. Is that something you did yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by m72law View Post
i would go with the yugo...in my opinion...but everyone knows opinions are like a**holes...everybody has one...everyone knows yugo anything is going to be built better...i have a 1 yugo under folder(milled receiver)2 china (norinco) and a couple of romies (stamped)...now im not saying the romies are not worth a damm(best priced ak-clones!)...all shoot without any problems and will get the job done...but if your looking for the better built (in my opinion) for the extra lil bit of cash,i'd go go with the yugo...of course if you can find one...and want a AK-with a real blued finished (tight!) receiver....find a norinco mak-90!or other..of course i doubt you'll find these for less then the price of 2 romies or yugoseither rifle you choose from either builder will be more then enough for the 4-P's= plinking,protecting,providing,pleasure....good luck on your AK-purchase & post up a range report ASAP!
Thanks for the info. I know opinions are worth what you pay for them, but opinions are exactly what I was looking for.

And Cane, I saw your list of recommended mods somewhere else, and once I get mine in, I'll definitely be sending a PM your way looking for those links again.

Thanks to everyone else who gave info as well.

-Fred

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 01-19-2010, 01:25 AM   #22

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Also, for anyone whose ordered from AimSurplus, I went to order it a minute ago, but couldn't find a way to have it shipped to an FFL, only to my address. Is this possible from their site, or will I have to go to my local FFL and have them order it for me?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 01-19-2010, 01:27 AM   #23

Liked 1443 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
Diggs, My 12 year old has the same forward grip on his Airsoft gun!! UTG.
Actually it's CAA.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-19-2010, 01:27 AM   #24

Liked 776 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 842

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
OK. That's not my rifle, I was just curious as to what brother Cane was referring to as crap. I know ALL about AK purism, however I choose to keep an open mind when it comes to the improvement of the platform. I keep traditional wood furniture on mine (maybe not always in the historically accurate tone) , but do keep a quick detach side mount/scope combo handy even though I haven't completely dialed it in yet.

No stranger to AKs brother.
We are on the same page! I usually dislike collapsable butt stocks, but that may be an option for my sons.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:28 AM   #25

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 766

Quote:
The Romanians are the only one I know of that are built semi auto and imported that way, with the exception of the Wasr10 which is a U.S. century receiver. .

One of these days I'll do something w/ the wood. Finish it Maybe!
Pondering an AK purchase. - AK & SKS Discussion
Pondering an AK purchase. - AK & SKS Discussion
jp...is that a 30mm or 28mm bushnell trophy red dont?...if so...i have the same on my ruger mkIII (30mm) & must say it is one of the best reddots+3 i've ever used....i bought mine over 6 years ago & the supplied battery that came with the scope is still going!!!!!!!!now i prob jinxed it!

Old 01-19-2010, 01:29 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7 View Post
Also, for anyone whose ordered from AimSurplus, I went to order it a minute ago, but couldn't find a way to have it shipped to an FFL, only to my address. Is this possible from their site, or will I have to go to my local FFL and have them order it for me?
You can have your FFL order it, or call them. His FFL must be on file 1st.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:33 AM   #27

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
You can have your FFL order it, or call them. His FFL must be on file 1st.
Ok, Ill have to check around tomorrow. I have quite a few different shops that have FFL's within a 20 minute drive, so Ill call them in the morning and see if any are on file with them.

-Fred

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 01-19-2010, 01:33 AM   #28

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 766

i have used AIMsurplus about 20 or so times...using my C&R.

as for an FFL idk?

they have changed there site & its gay as hell...

another place to try at the same prices is S.O.G. southernohioguns.com or net...just google..

Old 01-19-2010, 01:35 AM   #29

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks, Ill give S.O.G. a try.

-Fred

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 01-19-2010, 01:38 AM   #30

These folks have options.
AK 74 RR Rifle $479.00 1217