Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Pondering an AK purchase.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2010, 11:58 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
My Romanian Wsar2 is all Romanian, including the receiver(Cugir stamped). It does have a Tapco G2 double hook trigger set at 3.5lb. If you are talking a Century built rifle, it would have a thinner stamped receiver. All the Century built rifles have a thinner receiver, not just the Romanians. There are better receivers than a century, Arsenal being one.
LOL, I wasn't knocking either gun. I was merely pointing out that of the two, the Yugos use a 1.5mm thickness in their receivers. Just about all of the other AK's out there, excluding RPK variants, use 1.0mm thickness receivers, not just Century built units either.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:00 AM   #12

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Yeah JP I kinda know all that. . . I was referring to sources for mil-surp rifles that weren't built by CAI. You referred to your WASR 2 as being 100% Romanian, receiver and all. So that made me curious as to where these rifles could be had. I have CAI builds and they are OK in function, but my next AKs will be held to higher standards in regards to possibility of greater accuracy. I may end up going with a Lancaster and Arsenal build, but am definitely interested in ANY AK rifle that hasn't been chopped up.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:32 AM   #13

Liked 665 Times on 456 Posts
Likes Given: 671

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
Yeah JP I kinda know all that. . . I was referring to sources for mil-surp rifles that weren't built by CAI. You referred to your WASR 2 as being 100% Romanian, receiver and all. So that made me curious as to where these rifles could be had. I have CAI builds and they are OK in function, but my next AKs will be held to higher standards in regards to possibility of greater accuracy. I may end up going with a Lancaster and Arsenal build, but am definitely interested in ANY AK rifle that hasn't been chopped up.
The Romanians are the only one I know of that are built semi auto and imported that way, with the exception of the Wasr10 which is a U.S. century receiver. .

One of these days I'll do something w/ the wood. Finish it Maybe!

Old 01-19-2010, 12:37 AM   #14

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-19-2010, 12:55 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
It sure does a number on Yotes!

Old 01-19-2010, 01:03 AM   #16

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Point out what crap you are referring to. . . ?

Old 01-19-2010, 01:08 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowryde45 View Post
LOL, I wasn't knocking either gun. I was merely pointing out that of the two, the Yugos use a 1.5mm thickness in their receivers. Just about all of the other AK's out there, excluding RPK variants, use 1.0mm thickness receivers, not just Century built units either.
Just out of curiousity I mic'ed my receiver. .075", 1.905 Millimeters.
So Where are you finding Yugo receivers??? They don't make any semi's for export and you can't just weld or rivet the 3rd hole.

Last edited by jpattersonnh; 01-19-2010 at 01:11 AM.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:10 AM   #18

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 764

i would go with the yugo...in my opinion...but everyone knows opinions are like a**holes...everybody has one...everyone knows yugo anything is going to be built better...i have a 1 yugo under folder(milled receiver)2 china (norinco) and a couple of romies (stamped)...now im not saying the romies are not worth a damm(best priced ak-clones!)...all shoot without any problems and will get the job done...but if your looking for the better built (in my opinion) for the extra lil bit of cash,i'd go go with the yugo...of course if you can find one...and want a AK-with a real blued finished (tight!) receiver....find a norinco mak-90!or other..of course i doubt you'll find these for less then the price of 2 romies or yugoseither rifle you choose from either builder will be more then enough for the 4-P's= plinking,protecting,providing,pleasure....good luck on your AK-purchase & post up a range report ASAP!

Old 01-19-2010, 01:13 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
Point out what crap you are referring to. . . ?
Diggs, My 12 year old has the same forward grip on his Airsoft gun!! UTG.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:21 AM   #20

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

OK. That's not my rifle, I was just curious as to what brother Cane was referring to as crap. I know ALL about AK purism, however I choose to keep an open mind when it comes to the improvement of the platform. I keep traditional wood furniture on mine (maybe not always in the historically accurate tone) , but do keep a quick detach side mount/scope combo handy even though I haven't completely dialed it in yet.

No stranger to AKs brother.