Pondering an AK purchase.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Pondering an AK purchase.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2010, 03:23 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Pondering an AK purchase.

I've been pondering buying an AK for a while now, and prices have come back down and I have so money saved up, so I'm probably gonna be getting it fairly soon. I have a couple questions though. I like the look of the underfolders, but was wondering about the ergonomics of them. For those of you who have them, are they solid? How comfortable are they to shoot? Are there any problems you have had with them?
Now to my second question. I looked on AimSurplus and found 2 that I could get. Both are underfolders, but ones a Romanian and ones a Yugoslavian.

Yugo - $469.95

Romanian - $419.95

Any reason to get one over the other? The Romanian comes with 2 extra magazines, a bayonet and a scope mount (which I probably won't use anyway). The Yugo has a nicer looking pistol grip and composite handguard which I like, but I plan on changing both out not matter which one I get so that's not a big deal to me. Any info would be much appreciated.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-18-2010, 03:59 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5912 Times on 3085 Posts
Likes Given: 415

what ya gonna do with it?? just bang away at paper bottles and fun stuff or hunt with it??

if its a plinker they are ok. if its for hunting there is like no bullet options for it that work terribly well.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:51 PM   #3

Oh yeah, probably should've put that in the original post. It's just gonna be a plinker/fun gun. I've got a AR-15 and AR-10 for any target work or hunting that I wanna do. I guess the AK appeals to me because ammo is fairly cheap, and well, it's an AK. I don't know exactly what it is, but it just has a certain appeal to it that I really like.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 01-18-2010, 07:17 PM   #4

Liked 737 Times on 512 Posts
Likes Given: 764

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7 View Post
Oh yeah, probably should've put that in the original post. It's just gonna be a plinker/fun gun. I've got a AR-15 and AR-10 for any target work or hunting that I wanna do. I guess the AK appeals to me because ammo is fairly cheap, and well, it's an AK. I don't know exactly what it is, but it just has a certain appeal to it that I really like.

-Fred
If you want a fun gun, look at an AK74. 5.45 is still dirt cheap. Much more accurate than a 7.62x39. Mine has many rolls. Standard stock set up w/ 30 round mag. Accurate to 160 meters, minute of man. It gets a 30mm Red dot mounted on a Kalinka optics side rail Weaver mount and .223 5 round mags for hunting. The mags function perfectly, but only hold 4 rounds of 5.45x39 which is fine for coyotes and woodchucks out to 150 meters. W/ a 30 round mag and the red dot it is good to Minute of man a 300 meters. I have tried to set the wood handgaurd on fire, but have not come close yet. 6 30 round mags rapid fire and it is not even smoldered yet.

Here are a few links:
https://www.southernohiogun.com/index.php/bulgarian-ak-74-545x39-cal.html
https://www.southernohiogun.com/index.php/romanian-ak-74-5-45x39-cal.html

Old 01-18-2010, 07:44 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've found that the Yugos usually have better fit and finish to them, than the Romanian models. On the Yugos I looked at, they had flip up night sights, and an interesting flip up grenade launcher front sight. Best thing about them is it looked like they had the RPK style trunion. That beefs up the barrel to receiver fit, similar to the RPK squad weapons, and also how the VEPR AK's are built. They also went to using the 1.5mm thick receivers on these models. The Romanian models uses a 1mm thick receiver. But then again, that could be just the ones I looked at.

The Romanian models have lots of aftermarket accessories for them, probably a few more than most other models, I think mainly from the standpoint that they are the most affordable and the most prevalent ones on the market now, and have been for a while. You can still find Yugos, like the one you are looking at, some Bulgarians, and if you go to the shows, the occasional Russian, Maadi, Norincos, etc. but they are also asking for $$$'s.

Either of the two you picked out will work for what you want to do. Just comes down to personal preference. OR...you could always buy a SAIGA and convert it into an AK.

Oh yeah, for hunting purposes...try Wolf 154gr SOFT point.

Slo

Old 01-18-2010, 08:24 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7 View Post
I've been pondering buying an AK for a while now, and prices have come back down and I have so money saved up, so I'm probably gonna be getting it fairly soon. I have a couple questions though. I like the look of the underfolders, but was wondering about the ergonomics of them. For those of you who have them, are they solid? How comfortable are they to shoot? Are there any problems you have had with them?
Now to my second question. I looked on AimSurplus and found 2 that I could get. Both are underfolders, but ones a Romanian and ones a Yugoslavian.

Yugo - $469.95

Romanian - $419.95

Any reason to get one over the other? The Romanian comes with 2 extra magazines, a bayonet and a scope mount (which I probably won't use anyway). The Yugo has a nicer looking pistol grip and composite handguard which I like, but I plan on changing both out not matter which one I get so that's not a big deal to me. Any info would be much appreciated.

-Fred
I've owned a Romanian "G" model and I still own my Yugo m70ab2 underfolder. They can both be moded quite a bit or left alone if you're not into that. The Romy G was nice (looked like it had a better receiver than a WASR). However, I prefer my Yugo. I've moded my Yugo and it's just a lot of fun.
edited.jpg   img_7198-1.jpg  

Last edited by ARnoob; 01-18-2010 at 08:26 PM.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowryde45 View Post
I've found that the Yugos usually have better fit and finish to them, than the Romanian models. On the Yugos I looked at, they had flip up night sights, and an interesting flip up grenade launcher front sight. Best thing about them is it looked like they had the RPK style trunion. That beefs up the barrel to receiver fit, similar to the RPK squad weapons, and also how the VEPR AK's are built. They also went to using the 1.5mm thick receivers on these models. The Romanian models uses a 1mm thick receiver. But then again, that could be just the ones I looked at.

The Romanian models have lots of aftermarket accessories for them, probably a few more than most other models, I think mainly from the standpoint that they are the most affordable and the most prevalent ones on the market now, and have been for a while. You can still find Yugos, like the one you are looking at, some Bulgarians, and if you go to the shows, the occasional Russian, Maadi, Norincos, etc. but they are also asking for $$$'s.

Either of the two you picked out will work for what you want to do. Just comes down to personal preference. OR...you could always buy a SAIGA and convert it into an AK.

Oh yeah, for hunting purposes...try Wolf 154gr SOFT point.

Slo
My Romanian Wsar2 is all Romanian, including the receiver(Cugir stamped). It does have a Tapco G2 double hook trigger set at 3.5lb. If you are talking a Century built rifle, it would have a thinner stamped receiver. All the Century built rifles have a thinner receiver, not just the Romanians. There are better receivers than a century, Arsenal being one.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:13 PM   #8

Liked 1423 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Can't speak to the Yugo but doubt you could have more fun than I've had with my Romey.

There are improvements you will want to do once you get it, PM me for my list of suggested mods.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-19-2010, 12:36 AM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

JP thanks for that link. I've never came across that site myself. I'm also in the market for a few more AKs and surely want at least one 74 in the mix and preferably not a CAI build.

Anyone else got a ref to more sources for true Romy, Bulgy or other origins of a 5.45 chambered 74?

Old 01-19-2010, 12:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
JP thanks for that link. I've never came across that site myself. I'm also in the market for a few more AKs and surely want at least one 74 in the mix and preferably not a CAI build.

Anyone else got a ref to more sources for true Romy, Bulgy or other origins of a 5.45 chambered 74?
Romanian rifles are as follows:
Sar1, Wasr10: 7.62x39
Wasr2, Sar2: 5.45x39
Sar3: 5.56x45
CAI imports almost all of them. The Sar2(Wasr) and Sar3 are Romy receivers.
Bulgarian all come in as "kits", no receiver and other parts. They are on U.S. receivers. All of the Sar2 & 3 I've seen have a chrome lined chamber and barrel.