Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AK & SKS Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   Picked up a romanian .. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/picked-up-romanian-42892/)

MobileMarine 05-23-2011 02:25 PM

Picked up a romanian ..

I picked up a romanian this weekend , fires good and seems to be in good shape . But the side folding stock is missing as are the pins and harware for it . Also what is the hunk of steel riveted on the left side of the receiver ? Would you guys go back with folding or buy a wood fixed ? Is it even legal with out the stock on it right now ? Granted it looks cool as is but very hard to shoot .

winds-of-change 05-23-2011 02:30 PM

Oh, I was going to say where did you meet her and what's her name. :D

Congratulations on the new gun.

canebrake 05-23-2011 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MobileMarine (Post 510216)
I picked up a romanian this weekend , fires good and seems to be in good shape . But the side folding stock is missing as are the pins and harware for it . Also what is the hunk of steel riveted on the left side of the receiver ? Would you guys go back with folding or buy a wood fixed ? Is it even legal with out the stock on it right now ? Granted it looks cool as is but very hard to shoot .

It's an optic mount.

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...achout50-1.jpg

Davo45 05-23-2011 03:11 PM

I'd recommend the Wood

I'd recommend the wood stock if it will fit....I've got a WASR-3 with a wood stock and have been pleased with it. Depending on your state laws, your rifle should be legal without a stock as long as the barrel is still 16" long....otherwise it couldn't be sold legally with a folding stock under federal laws.

Chances are, it is legal in your state if it was originally purchased within your state from a licensed dealer as they have to abide by all local, state and federal laws or risk losing their FFL.

I will never understand why some people remove stocks from a rifle. It basically turns the rifle into a long, heavy pistol making it ineffective past point and shoot distances.....far closer than what it was intended.

MobileMarine 05-23-2011 04:39 PM

the barrel is 14in . and i knew it was a optic mount .... i just wanted to see if you guys knew what is was:D . And yes I need to find a stock , im not a fan of putting a bare assed ak close to my face to aim . I was thinking of buying one of those ''parts guns '' that have been cut in half to try and rob the furniture off of it . Prob a overcompensating atf agent sell it on gb lmao . I dont want to ruin it by putting all of the stupid black plastic stocks that look like hell , im more of a fan of the purrty wood

diggsbakes 05-23-2011 05:04 PM

Some guy with nothing better to do, posted up a bunch of AK-related sources where you can find good stuff for cheap.

IWDwoodpile

If I were you I'd just match up a whole new furniture set and finish it up sweet. . .

orangello 05-23-2011 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MobileMarine (Post 510307)
the barrel is 14in .

:confused: I thought it had to be 16" on a "rifle"???

Wait, it isn't one of those "Draco" AK pistols, is it?

Romanian AK Draco Pistol #AKAGUN-PIS

I'm fairly sure that you are NOT supposed to put a stock on them, ATF happiness-wise.

c3shooter 05-23-2011 08:48 PM

There are PISTOLS with a permanently welded stock- cannot be unfolded. If you have a handgun with a 14 inch barrel, and you add a shoulder stock to it, you have just "manufactured" a Class III firearm- a Short Barreled Rifle. Unless you have the paperwork showing where you paid the BATFE a $200 tax BEFORE making it, you have just committed a Federal felony, punishable by 10 yrs in a Federal prison, and a fine of not more than $250,000. With a VERY few exceptions (orginal Artillery Lugers, original Browning Hi-Powers, orginal Mauser broomhandles) if it has a shoulder stock, OR a forward vertical grip, it had better have a 16 inch barrel, 26 inch overall length- or 18"/ 26" for smoothbores.

Careful, grasshopper- you may be on the verge of a VERY expensive legal education.

lonyaeger 05-23-2011 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MobileMarine (Post 510307)
i knew it was a optic mount .... i just wanted to see if you guys knew what is was:D .

Sure you did.

MobileMarine 05-23-2011 10:21 PM

i will post some pics . its not a draco it has the block where the stock use to be with two vertical holes . bear with me as i will get some pics up soon