Ok, Now I'm looking...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Ok, Now I'm looking...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 03:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Default Ok, Now I'm looking...

Ok, so I'm in the market for an AK. I'd like to get everybody's opinion on which way to go. I know some here are tired of the "which ......... Should I get", and frankly so am I. So to keep from going in that direction, here's what I'm looking for...

I want a higher end AK, to begin with. While I think WASR's and the like are fine for what they are, that's not what I'm looking for and I have no desire to refinish or invest the time required to make one into what I'm looking for. I don't care to convert a Saiga or Tantal, but then I'm not opposed to one that has been converted already. I want it to have wood furniture, preferably with the "Russian red" hue.

Now, I'd like to ask of you guys, the AK brotherhood, to post pics of your stuff, what it is, where they can be bought, and WHY exactly you went with that over other available examples. I guess instead of asking "what should I get", I'm more interested to find "what all is out there", and what do people think of it.

I'm an AR guy at heart, but I can't discount the AKs any longer. I just don't know enough about them to even do any legitimate research. That's why I'm turning to you guys.

My price range is up to $1500

Thanks in advance, and let's see 'em!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-31-2012, 05:25 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51 View Post
Ok, so I'm in the market for an AK. I'd like to get everybody's opinion on which way to go. I know some here are tired of the "which ......... Should I get", and frankly so am I. So to keep from going in that direction, here's what I'm looking for...

I want a higher end AK, to begin with. While I think WASR's and the like are fine for what they are, that's not what I'm looking for and I have no desire to refinish or invest the time required to make one into what I'm looking for. I don't care to convert a Saiga or Tantal, but then I'm not opposed to one that has been converted already. I want it to have wood furniture, preferably with the "Russian red" hue.

Now, I'd like to ask of you guys, the AK brotherhood, to post pics of your stuff, what it is, where they can be bought, and WHY exactly you went with that over other available examples. I guess instead of asking "what should I get", I'm more interested to find "what all is out there", and what do people think of it.

I'm an AR guy at heart, but I can't discount the AKs any longer. I just don't know enough about them to even do any legitimate research. That's why I'm turning to you guys.

My price range is up to $1500

Thanks in advance, and let's see 'em!
The Arsenal's are top AK's built with quality I own three 2 7.62x39 and a 5.45x39. Never a single quality or shooting problem.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleshooter474

The Arsenal's are top AK's built with quality I own three 2 7.62x39 and a 5.45x39. Never a single quality or shooting problem.
What's an Arsenal typically go for? just the bare bones, wood furniture, etc. Do you have any pics?

Thanks for your response.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:58 PM   #4

These are mine Base prices are around $825US each the Russian Optics are not included.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleshooter474
These are mine Base prices are around $825US each the Russian Optics are not included.
Wow...those are really nice. Are they milled or stamped receivers? And is there an advantage to having one over another?

Another question...a friend of mine has a couple of WASR's, which function well and are surprisingly (to me anyway) accurate. Thing is, they were very dirty when he first got them...like they were used or something. They supposedly were new. Is that typical of AK's? Or do the Arsenals come in "new" condition, like one would expect a new gun to be?

Old 02-01-2012, 12:10 AM   #6

Mine are all stamped the milled have a lot more weight and cost around $150US more when they can be obtained.
They are no better as for shooting it's just that the Russians first used milled receivers.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:50 AM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Welcome to the dark side....

My vote goes out to Arsenal SGL-21

out of the box, got the bayonet for dirt cheap with the gun purchase:

this compensator works great:

Country of origin: Russia

Out of factory its accuracy checked:

Comes with proper scope mount rails:

can slide POSP Russian scopes on:

these scopes are cheap but FUN, illuminated reticles or you can buy the KV-04S mount and mount any scope you want to.

All parts are NEW and all numbers match!

I really love mine! It shoots great, accurate, reliable of course and has the cool factor of being actually Russian made and converted already to Russian mil specs. Chrome Lined barrel.
Has bullet guides, 90 degree gas block with the vent holes, bullet guide, X and Y pattern receiver reinforcements, safety lever dimples, and some AK74 specs!

Not my video but lots of good info on this gun:

Online ordering straight from k-var:
http://www.k-var.com/shop/home.php?cat=353

Hope this helps.

Last edited by goretro77; 02-01-2012 at 01:53 AM.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by goretro77
Welcome to the dark side....

My vote goes out to Arsenal SGL-21

out of the box, got the bayonet for dirt cheap with the gun purchase:

this compensator works great:

Country of origin: Russia

Out of factory its accuracy checked:

Comes with proper scope mount rails:

can slide POSP Russian scopes on:

these scopes are cheap but FUN, illuminated reticles or you can buy the KV-04S mount and mount any scope you want to.

All parts are NEW and all numbers match!

I really love mine! It shoots great, accurate, reliable of course and has the cool factor of being actually Russian made and converted already to Russian mil specs. Chrome Lined barrel.
Has bullet guides, 90 degree gas block with the vent holes, bullet guide, X and Y pattern receiver reinforcements, safety lever dimples, and some AK74 specs!

Not my video but lots of good info on this gun:
Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkYFlihPNS8

Online ordering straight from k-var:
http://www.k-var.com/shop/home.php?cat=353

Hope this helps.
Wow man, yeah...that helps a LOT. Nice setup, and I WOULD rather have Russian manufacture, thanks for pointing that out. I looked at the Arsenal website and noticed only the milled rcvr guns had wood furniture pictured. Is that an option on all the guns, or do you know? How big a deal would it be to swap it out once I buy it?

By the way Retro, is there anything you DON'T have?

Old 02-01-2012, 02:18 AM   #9

If you live near Tulsa my Local Dealer Sooner Guns 5663 So. Mingo Rd. Tulsa Ok 74146 918-286-8888 e-mail soonerguns@cox.net Mark Legget Owner He has them in stock and it's where I bought all three of mine.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:38 AM   #10

I also really enjoy shooting my Hungarian AMD-65 7.62x39 with my EOTech 553. For a small AK it's a door bell ringer.