Norinco SKS Question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Norinco SKS Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2013, 02:09 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Norinco SKS Question

I was a Cabelas a few days ago and saw a Norinco SKS for sale and it said on the tag, "comes with 2 magazines". I always thought Norinco SKS rifles had a permanent mag. Also, does this mean I could buy a Norinco SKS drum mag for it or even a TAPCO 30 round magazine? On another note, how would one load these detachable mags , would you remove the mag an load it like an AL-47 or would you loa it like a Mosin with stripper clips.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-15-2013, 04:16 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8829 Times on 3821 Posts
Likes Given: 1365

There was (I think ) one version of the SKS, possibly the D model, that used detachable mags. Other than that, it is someone trying an aftermarket conversion- which does not work well more than half the time.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:29 PM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

My sks has the internal mag aswell, and is held in by two points below the barrel inside the stock, and one point is held it with the trigger assembly. The detachable mags connect to the point (groove) at the front of the stock and locks into place with the mag lock (whatever its called)at the bottom of the rifle anyways they work, but most companies products work with specific models and years so make sure you know what model it is. As for loading, its just like any magazine fed rifle where it goes in at a bit of an angle back and the then forward where it is locked into place.

"There was a time when the world asked ordinary men to do extraordinary things."

Old 07-15-2013, 05:04 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

I have the original magazine that holds 10. I also have the detachable 20 rd Tapco magazine that fits perfectly into the stock.
No problem firing with either. However, I much prefer the original mag with 10 rds simply because I know there'll be no problems
with feeding, as there would be with detachables.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:42 PM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanBaccha View Post
I have the original magazine that holds 10. I also have the detachable 20 rd Tapco magazine that fits perfectly into the stock.
Some magazines fit great, but I hear most need alterations (filling the stock usually) very minor, its just figuring out where the tight spots are and widen them

"There was a time when the world asked ordinary men to do extraordinary things."

Old 07-15-2013, 07:48 PM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
There was (I think ) one version of the SKS, possibly the D model, that used detachable mags. Other than that, it is someone trying an aftermarket conversion- which does not work well more than half the time.
Your probably thinking about the Norinco MC5Ds and Sporters. Both of these SKS rifles use detachable AK-47 mags. Sweet rifles that are now pretty hard to find. Google them or check them out on YouTube.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:33 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsoutgunsout View Post
Some magazines fit great, but I hear most need alterations (filling the stock usually) very minor, its just figuring out where the tight spots are and widen them
Yes, that is true. Here is a vid on one who stated he had to sand the sides inside lightly so as to fit the Tapco mag.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:46 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Was the rifle in the original wooden stock, or was it in a plastic stock? With my Tapco stock, my Tapco mags work fine, but I hear that people with the original stock have a lot of trouble with the aftermarket mags. I load my Tapco mags off the rifle and swap them out similarly to those of an AK-type rifle, but there is a "duckbill" on the front that must be inserted into the stock before the mag can be seated.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:22 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The SKS was in a new fiberglass stock

Old 07-16-2013, 04:50 PM   #10

Liked 47 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 180baseball
I was a Cabelas a few days ago and saw a Norinco SKS for sale and it said on the tag, "comes with 2 magazines". I always thought Norinco SKS rifles had a permanent mag. Also, does this mean I could buy a Norinco SKS drum mag for it or even a TAPCO 30 round magazine? On another note, how would one load these detachable mags , would you remove the mag an load it like an AL-47 or would you loa it like a Mosin with stripper clips.
Norincos, like the SKS in general, has a permanent 10-round clip-fed magazine. But, it's very easy to change that (kinda). Pop out the trigger guard, pop out the magazine (it's tight, as it should be), and put the trigger guard back in! I'd like to say that all there is to it, but the trigger group is a real b!*c# to snap back into its place (I've never taken one apart that wasn't). The TapCo 30 round magazines are just ALRIGHT. 20 rounders from TapCo are the good ones that are detachable (I just don't hear complaints about them). That being said... I like the permanent magazine better, with lots and lots of clips...

Last edited by 308Wins; 07-16-2013 at 08:32 PM.