Norinco
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Norinco

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2008, 06:46 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Norinco

Dammit, I just picked up another rifle!

The front sight appears to be slightly canted, but I'm not 100% sure on that yet. It's missing the cleaning rod and bayonet.

Here' the thing, I don't know much about these rifles. I'm an AR guy and these suckers are nothing like the ARs. Are there trigger up grade kits? Where can I get a bi pod that bolts up to the Bayo mount that is metal and sturdy?

Anyone have 2 stripper clips they can sell me on the cheap? It came with a Monte carlo stock, and I plan to "Tapco****" this thing with the Fusion stock.

I'm sure enough that I will pick up a SKS to already have ordered the sight tool, rear adjustable sight, and a Tapco 20 round mag. If not this one, another one.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-23-2008, 06:47 AM   #2

I just started messing with the SKS and have torn apart the trigger assembly. Smoothed the sear on the trigger and removed the fixed box mag on it. Just recently got the 20rd mag for it as well. I plan on tearing the trigger assembly down again and replacing the springs with lighter pieces.

More pics with new 20rd mag

New stock is next.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:34 AM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Pretty sweet! The reason the bayonet has been removed is because of the aftermarket stock. The original bayonet won't fold back into that one.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:06 AM   #4

My buddy is the "original" owner and he claims no Bayo came with it. He tossed the original stock, kinda sucks it woudl have been cool to have.

I'm more interested in removing it.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:02 PM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

You know.....the way that looks, I'd say the bayonet part and forward almost looks like a barrel extension. I barely remember what my former Russian SKS looked like in that respect. Mine never had a muzzle brake anyhow.

Old 10-24-2008, 05:34 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2991 Times on 1558 Posts
Likes Given: 278

The muzzle brake is an aftermarket add on and is removeable. The brake will prevent the bayo from snapping into place.

Be very careful in changing springs and stoning too much on the trigger group. The SKS trigger is desigend to be safe and functional with a wide variety of Com-Bloc ammo. If you lighten the springs too much you may (and likely will) run into reliability issues with steel cased import ammo. The US made brass case (reloadeable) ammo from Federal and Winchester will likely work fine. Consider doing something to the FP as the US ammo may slam fire as the primers are more sensitive.

There is nothing wrong with the synthetic stock you have now. It has a longer length of pull than the original and should work fine. The Tapco is more "tacticool" but not necessarily better. If you are interested in an original stock I have one. PM me and we can work something out. I also have a small selection of parts like bolts, carriers, recoil springs and top covers.

Keep in mind that if you start switching to things like removeable magazines and protruding pistol grips on imported semi auto rifles you may run into issues with some thing they call section 922R. You must have a certain number of US made parts or rather not more than a certain number of imported parts. Educate yourself before the Alphabet boys kick down your door and shoot your dog.

Strippers are available from a variety of sources. Try Cheaper than Dirt they usually have them in stock for less than $.50 each.

Old 10-26-2008, 01:41 AM   #7

I'm going with the the Tapco for the shorter stock. I am more comfortable with it closer than father away. Also shortens the rifle to a more managable trunk fit.

The Tapco stock alone adds 3 items the 922R. I'm looking into a extended mag release to make 4 and a new piston and firing pin to get the full 6 parts needed.

I may skip the springs if it may cause firing issues. I do want to get a replacement sear as the one in there is still rough. The polish job has smoothed it some, but there are two notches that I believe shoudln't be there taht are making the take up a bit jerky (one was smoothed out the other causes a slight hang).

Yeah, I think I will pick up a pack of the stripper clips on the cheap at the next "fun show". The strippers are a PITA to load the 20rd mag. With the stock 10rd they work pretty well.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:54 PM   #8

Well looks like my buddy is messing with me. I picked up the rifle and we agreed on price. I told him I would shoot it and if it functioned properly I would give him the cash in hand.

He tells me know he's not sure if he wants to sell it. That's crap, I have known the guy for years and I know he is holding out for more cash but won't ask! I hate people who do not keep their word. We already talked price and if it were me, I'd have sold it.

Old 10-29-2008, 03:56 AM   #9

I'd say buy a wooden stock for the SKS.

They look better that way IMO

I love my Yugo...first rifle I've every bought...but I'm looking for a nice cheap AK.