(NOOB)-Need help on an ak overhaul!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > (NOOB)-Need help on an ak overhaul!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2011, 11:58 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default (NOOB)-Need help on an ak overhaul!

Hello.

Im new to rifles and want to start a AK-47 project because I've been dreaming of one scence I was a kid. Let me start off that I know little about what im trying to attempt so please be nice. Thats why joined the fourm. Anyways....

Ive been looking at AK's for a while and I want something that doesnt look like your standard AK. I found this black widow made by shooters wholesale on Guns America that I thought would be badass to own. I want to try to do it myself though because im sure it would be alot cheaper. I am going the 7.62X39 route

Heres a few pics to show what I am tring to acheive

Okay
1. Is it possible to buy just a working receiver without the barrel, stock or anything else? Ive looked and found nothing. I dont know where to start with this. If so please give me an opinion on some.

2. Will any AK parts fit off of any AK receiver? I dont want to be ordering someting wrong and wasting my time.

3. Does anyone have any barrel idea's? Are there kits out there that come with everything but the front forearm? I want to go with that four panel rail system.

4. Is there anything else I should know before jumping into a project like this? My idea was to get a receiver from a stock CIA Draco or WASR-10 AK, strip down the barrel, stock, forearm, and grips. Then buy what I like to replace it.

5. How difficult would it be to replace the orignal trigger with a g2 trigger? Any opinion on this trigger?

6. Whats the most cost effective way to do this? It will mostly be used on the range. I will be using it for deer hunting buy I never see any deer so it wont get much use out in the woods

Thanks for reading and all infromation is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again-
Zach

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-07-2011, 01:07 PM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

My advise (what I would do) is buy a bone stock AK with beat up stocks and replace a part at a time. The general census I've gotten is its not the same as putting an AR together from scratch. Cane should be able to give you a better answer.

Heres a couple sites that will have just about everything you could want.
AK Parts | AK-47 Magazines | MidwayUSA
AK-47

However, if you really want to dive in to a build...
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=240113440
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=239567227

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Last edited by dnthmn2004; 07-07-2011 at 01:10 PM.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnthmn2004 View Post
My advise (what I would do) is buy a bone stock AK with beat up stocks and replace a part at a time. The general census I've gotten is its not the same as putting an AR together from scratch. Cane should be able to give you a better answer.

Heres a couple sites that will have just about everything you could want.
AK Parts | AK-47 Magazines | MidwayUSA
AK-47

However, if you really want to dive in to a build...
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=240113440
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=239567227
Thanks for the reply. Do you have a suggestion of what kind of gun to use as my starting point?
as far as starting a build to dive into like that i think it will be a few years. lol

Old 07-07-2011, 09:12 PM   #4

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Like Dan said you can buy all those parts and put one together piece by piece. You can buy parts from Cheaper Than Dirt - America's Ultimate Shooting Sports Discounter
I own an AK74 and the change out is easy. If you need assistance youtube is your friend.
Oh and welcome to the forum, great to have you here.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:26 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

"ROMANIAN AES10-B HEAVY BARREL AK" at Classicarms.us is a cool-looking AK-type rifle. I don't own one myself. I don't know if all the standard AK furniture would work with the AES10-B. If you are considering a drum magazine, that carry handle could be useful.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:05 PM   #6

Liked 1003 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Well you could start with a WASR or Saiga since they're cheap but definitely put a few hundred rounds down the bore to insure there are no problems before you start chopping it up. You might even discover that all that crap doesn't improve the original one bit.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:10 PM   #7

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

keep_that_crap_off_my_ak-.jpg   tactical8vw.jpg   russian2.jpg  

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 07-07-2011 at 10:25 PM.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctherock View Post
Like Dan said you can buy all those parts and put one together piece by piece. You can buy parts from Cheaper Than Dirt - America's Ultimate Shooting Sports Discounter
I own an AK74 and the change out is easy. If you need assistance youtube is your friend.
Oh and welcome to the forum, great to have you here.
Thank you i really appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
"ROMANIAN AES10-B HEAVY BARREL AK" at Classicarms.us is a cool-looking AK-type rifle. I don't own one myself. I don't know if all the standard AK furniture would work with the AES10-B. If you are considering a drum magazine, that carry handle could be useful.
Romanian aes10 looks like a great buy! just what im looking for if it will take aftermarket parts. Its got a nice barrel too. Thanks i will look into that!! Do you know if the carry handle comes off eaisly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Well you could start with a WASR or Saiga since they're cheap but definitely put a few hundred rounds down the bore to insure there are no problems before you start chopping it up. You might even discover that all that crap doesn't improve the original one bit.
Its more about accuracy and preformance. I figure if i get a decent body and barrel the rest is all about what i want. Thanks alot for the post man

canebrake- I thought i would get a little more input from a mod...... thanks tho

Old 07-08-2011, 10:28 PM   #9

Did a chek on the AES10-B and they just about doubled in price in the last few years. Its out of my price range

Can anyone reccomend a barrel? I know that some come chromed lined but theres got to be a nice aftermarket barrel out there. Also how long should it be for good accuracy?

Thanks-Zach

Old 07-09-2011, 09:21 PM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

If you really want to get into an AK build, I can point you in the right direction.

I will caution you that you will need a drill press, good solid vise, some sort of press or an alternative method of removing and installing the barrel 2-4 times, a riveting tool or something you can makeshift into a rivet smasher, a grinder or dremel at least, files, most importantly patience and skill.

It is not easy and not even in the same ballpark of an AR-15. There is much more involved as you are not just putting together a bunch of parts that were made to fit into common places. You are actually tearing apart and re-building a firearm that was designed for ONE use and to be discarded after that, never to replace barrels, etc.

I'm nearing the end of my build of an AMD-65, it wasn't easy, but I can see the light now.

PM me if you still think it's something you want to take on, otherwise just get an AR. AKs look and function best in their natural state, putting tactical gear upon them ails their soul. . .