New SKS Purchase - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > New SKS Purchase

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2011, 10:19 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 41 Times on 30 Posts

I also thought about shortening the barrel on my Norinco, but to me it is a lot of work and the end pay off isn't there for me. A shorter barrel only means slightly more manueverable... This would be important if I was using my SKS as my primary HD weapon but My 9mm and 12guage are my go to bad guy deterents... Leaving somethings alone just makes sense... Besides, shorten the barrel to a point and you begin to lose range and maybe even some accuracy if done wrong...

Old 11-20-2011, 10:50 PM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werminator
I also thought about shortening the barrel on my Norinco, but to me it is a lot of work and the end pay off isn't there for me. A shorter barrel only means slightly more manueverable... This would be important if I was using my SKS as my primary HD weapon but My 9mm and 12guage are my go to bad guy deterents... Leaving somethings alone just makes sense... Besides, shorten the barrel to a point and you begin to lose range and maybe even some accuracy if done wrong...
I wouldn't be using it for home defense, I have plenty of handguns and a 12ga for that. I wouldn't be using it for hunting either,therefore range wouldn't be an issue as well. Basically I bought this rifle to build something personal to me and to use a range gun. If it stays accurate at 75-100 yards.. ill be happy. Its nothing more than a toy to me.

Si vis pacem, Para Bellum.
"If you want peace, Prepare for war"

Old 11-29-2011, 06:40 PM   #13

Yes a shorter barrel will in fact make a difference ballistically you will end up with a lower muzzle velocity and less accuracy you will also feel the recoil more. The big problem though would be the drop in gas pressure in the system, if the gas block is too close to the end of the barrel more gas will escape out the barrel before the bolt cycles and you may not have enough pressure to do that. You could solve this by shortening the gas system (which is a totally custom job) but you would need to maintain the gun more because more unburnt powder will get in the system and eventually turn it into a chimney. If you do this you will also want a muzzle break otherwise it'll be a flamethrower out the end. I say just keep it the way it came. It was adopted by militaries in that form for a reason. If people keep changing it they sacrifice the main reasons militaries adopted it. It's supposed to be a simple robust rifle a two year old could use. It was never designed to be a tactical carbine there are reasons it functions perfectly with the internal mags but jams like crazy with tapcos