Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AK & SKS Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   New SKS Purchase (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/new-sks-purchase-51675/)

UrbanNinja 11-12-2011 10:50 PM

New SKS Purchase

Today I picked up my first SKS. Chinese Type 56.

Im looking for a schematic for takedown but cant seem to find any... Im probably blind and looked right over it somewhere. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Also are there any good places,websites to purchase parts?

dragunovsks 11-12-2011 11:42 PM

Go to google and punch in sks takedown instructions, there are several good links that come up. There are even a couple for the type 56.

trip286 11-12-2011 11:47 PM

I'm sure there's a youtube for it too.

UrbanNinja 11-12-2011 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286
I'm sure there's a youtube for it too.

Ive seen the YouTube video. I would like a "blown up" type with parts list. I apologize,I should have been more specific.

BillM 11-12-2011 11:53 PM

SKS-56 Manual <linky thing

UrbanNinja 11-13-2011 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillM
SKS-56 Manual <linky thing

Thank you. I appreciate it.

UrbanNinja 11-15-2011 06:38 AM

A little update... Ive spent some time getting familiar with the SKS, Breaking it down and putting it back together, getting to know the parts and such. Well now Ive decided to start setting it up to my liking.

The previous owner had removed the front sight and mounted a rail for a scope. Id like to put the front sight back on but after a bit of searching, I cant seem to find it. I found the "sight adjustment tool" but not the sight itself. Anyone know where i can track one down?

The stock is composite.. I am undecided if I should return to the wood stock or simply keep the composite stock and give it a nice OD Green paint job (I am a professional painter and i have a few gallons of OD green from a recent specialty drilling rig that was built by my company and donated to the US Navy).

Can anyone give some insight on which stock would be better to keep? Are there any performance differences or is this a weight only difference?

UrbanNinja 11-19-2011 06:58 AM

Still searching for a front sight if anyone knows where I can track one down, id appreciate a nudge in the right direction.
It doesn't have to be an original, something aftermarket will be fine as well. Clip on, universal,etc...

Billy9mm 11-20-2011 08:34 PM

Try gun-guides.com I got a manual from them for my sks and mauser they are only about 5or6 bucks. I think I ordered them from Samco, I think they are out of Fla. also Cheaper than Dirt has some parts.

UrbanNinja 11-20-2011 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy9mm
Try gun-guides.com I got a manual from them for my sks and mauser they are only about 5or6 bucks. I think I ordered them from Samco, I think they are out of Fla. also Cheaper than Dirt has some parts.

I did manage to get a manual and I later found out how easy they are to strip down. Ive been toying around with it and making it to my personal liking. The issue is finding the damned front sight. Ive gotten some leads..but nothing yet. Also looking into swapping barrels if possible. Is shortening the barrel possible? Would it make any performance difference? Im only thinking a couple of inches at the most.