New SKS owner with a question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > New SKS owner with a question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2013, 02:14 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts

Default New SKS owner with a question

With all the info I gleaned from you guys here on FirearmsTALK (thanks), I decided to purchase an SKS. The one I purchased seems to be a 1977Chinese model with a side mount lower strap. The stock is in good shape for it's age but I'm thinking about refinishing it anyway. My question is whether refinishing the stock with a darker wood stain will lower it's value. How much do most people value a completely stock gun when it comes to SKS's from the late 1970's?

Any comments?

Thanks

"The basis of our political systems is the right of the people to make and to alter their Constitutions of Government. But the Constitution which at any time exists, till changed by an explicit and authentic act of the whole people, is sacredly obligatory upon all."

George Washington

If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men.
Romans 12:18

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-28-2013, 02:19 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1794 Times on 1233 Posts
Likes Given: 913

A Chinese SKS is a shooter, not a collectible. A good restoration will not hurt resale one bit. (Unlike sporterizing)

Old 09-28-2013, 02:41 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 118 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 40

If you are still worried about it you can always pick up an extra stock on ebay cheap and stain that one. As stated above though SKS's are for shooting, and are fun as hell to shoot so shoot the **** out of it and dont worry about it. I would stay away from putting a composite stock on it of any kind. Thats just me though, from experience.

Old 09-28-2013, 03:13 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts

That's good to know, thanks. I can do a good job refinishing, I just didn't want to do anything that would be frowned upon for this model and year gun.

"The basis of our political systems is the right of the people to make and to alter their Constitutions of Government. But the Constitution which at any time exists, till changed by an explicit and authentic act of the whole people, is sacredly obligatory upon all."

George Washington

If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men.
Romans 12:18

Old 09-28-2013, 03:44 AM   #5

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Stocks are all over the place, get another one if ya really wan tot cover your rear. But I really don't see a SKS getting to high dollar as a collectable.
Maybe as a can't get em anymore vewcxause they asre evil and now and banned...? But the stock wont be an issue then anyway. So have fun wit hit. I've refinished several. THe only downside I see is people like them and want to buy them off me

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

TDS92A Likes This