New Saiga - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > New Saiga

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2010, 03:52 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Glad to help brother! There is another company that makes one with a quick disconnect and it has a built in M16 style adjustable peep sight in the rear, but it's $250.00!

Old 01-15-2010, 01:29 AM   #22

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by afi1 View Post
Glad to help brother! There is another company that makes one with a quick disconnect and it has a built in M16 style adjustable peep sight in the rear, but it's $250.00!
$250 is almost what I paid for the rifle. How low is that Beryl mount you have? The pics look pretty low. And how do you takedown for cleaning? Is it hinged, to allow the dust cover to come off? Thanks!!

Old 01-15-2010, 02:18 AM   #23

Well, it fit's in place of your rear sight. Just aft of that, there is a small set screw that is used to run down against the sight block to keep it nice and tight(use locktite). The rear attaches to the stock tang's rear bolt. You may have to find your own bolt, I can't remember if it came with one or not. For cleaning you simply take out the screw in the tang, and it all hinges up and away on the rear sight block. They have a second, more expensive one that's got a quick disconnect, and it retains the rear sight. But you have to drill two holes in the sides of the sight block.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:30 AM   #24

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by afi1 View Post
Well, it fit's in place of your rear sight. Just aft of that, there is a small set screw that is used to run down against the sight block to keep it nice and tight(use locktite). The rear attaches to the stock tang's rear bolt. You may have to find your own bolt, I can't remember if it came with one or not. For cleaning you simply take out the screw in the tang, and it all hinges up and away on the rear sight block. They have a second, more expensive one that's got a quick disconnect, and it retains the rear sight. But you have to drill two holes in the sides of the sight block.
Cool, thanks for your help. I don't mind drilling the holes in the rear sight base and like the idea of keeping the sight intact.

In a perfect world I would really like to find something like the Tech Sights with a piece of pic rail in front of the rear sight. Getting the tension right would be important, but should not be too hard to do.

Old 01-15-2010, 03:31 PM   #25

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

It all depends on the gunsmith doing the work, but I believe that mine charged about $60 for that type of work.

This may help.

Johnny 5.56: Saiga .223 conversion dilemma continues...

Saiga Conversion

Johnny 5.56: Saiga .223 conversion by Stu Olsen

Last edited by ARnoob; 01-15-2010 at 03:37 PM.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:32 AM   #26

Default Consider this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
Yes,I used the side mount. It is the best one that I could find,the only thing I don't like about it is the scope sets too high. Here's a pic of it,I have changed the rings and scope since. I just had these setting around when I bought the mount and put it on the rifle.
I got the Kalinka Optics extra low side mount. Great quality and very solid. The rings that came with it didn't fit the Nikon 3-9 X 40 BDC scope I put on it, but with new Weaver rings I can actually see under the rings to use the iron sights at close range (which I never do... but could if I wanted to), and the scope is very low to the barrel.

I don't think the dust cover/pic rail is that solid at all. Too much shake on firing and after. Won't hold zero. I can get consistant groups under 3" with my Kalinka side mount, and I'm not that good a shot!

Guns :: God & Guns made this country great picture by CaptainJim-01 - Photobucket

Guns :: God & Guns made this country great picture by CaptainJim-01 - Photobucket

Capt Jim

Last edited by CaptJim; 01-18-2010 at 09:21 PM.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:49 AM   #27

Its good to read another good review on Saiga. I've been reading up on Saiga for a very long time and I cant wait to get one as a birthday present to myself in August. =D

Old 02-26-2010, 03:58 AM   #28

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I saw someone post they wanted to convert their Saiga. If you wanted someone to do it, they usually run about $300 to have it converted and have all the holes welded up, but if you do it yourself it can cost as cheap as $60 or so.

There is a ton of info out there for this and a great place to start is here.
forum.Saiga-12.com

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 02-26-2010, 05:10 PM   #29

I just picked up a saiga 7.62x39 recently, haven't shot it yet but I have ordered the parts and am waiting for them to arrive. Everything I've seen and read indicates that the conversion is easy and not worth paying $300 for. Of course where I live it would cost even more than that, but I want to do it myself anyway for the experience and pride of it.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:21 PM   #30

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

The conversions are very easy, however the reason I pointed out the cost of having the conversion done is some people don't have access to the tools necessary to complete the conversion (drill, welder if you want to close the holes up without plugs, nut riveter if you want blind nuts, etc). But if you have those tools, then buy the trigger group and your good to go.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me