new to me today
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > new to me today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2013, 11:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Default new to me today

I just trade for a sks today and I know nothing about them. It has a folding stock on it and the reciever feels loose in the stock. It has the 10 round drop out the bottom magazine. How do I identify exactly what I traded for. And what ar style stock will fit this.
Thanks
Pics keep saying app crashed so I will try a pic later
forumrunner_20130922_185226.jpg   forumrunner_20130922_185302.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-23-2013, 12:15 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1228 Times on 802 Posts
Likes Given: 789

I would def search for a different stock. That just looks odd to me.
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 09-23-2013, 12:37 AM   #3

Liked 204 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 48

That is a decent stock it looks much better with 20 rd mag I like yours better than the Intrafuse I have on mine. You will not find anything similar to AR. Tapco intrafuse makes a stock that fits the sks and works fairly well. I prefer the origianl furniture that comes with it. It is not much of a tactical gun but it is fun as hell, very very well made, and accurate. you may check and see if your trigger group is secured properly. Look for a pin behind the trigger guard. It may not be snapped in all the way.
here is the one I have

http://www.amazon.com/Tapco-Intrafuse-Stock-System-Bayonet/dp/B001AT4NAS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379896530&sr=8-1&keywords=sks+stock

Keep in mind if you get that one you will need to purchase a gas tube separately.

just google any info you find on the reciever and it should tell you anything you need to know about your particular rifle.
What did you trade for it?
orangello Likes This 
Old 09-23-2013, 02:28 AM   #4

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

I traded a bunch of tools for it. I can't get the stock to fold and the reciever/trigger is loose in the stock. I will check that pin tomorrow evening after work
This is my first rifle that's not a 22 . So excuse my dumb questions but what is the gas tube you have to buy to change stocks
Thanks

Old 09-23-2013, 03:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkuhar View Post
I traded a bunch of tools for it. I can't get the stock to fold and the reciever/trigger is loose in the stock. I will check that pin tomorrow evening after work
This is my first rifle that's not a 22 . So excuse my dumb questions but what is the gas tube you have to buy to change stocks
Thanks
Its a great rifle and I think you will be pleased. It sounds like the stock may be damaged, idk. Even so there is the stock in the link I sent you that is made to fit. You can also go to ebay and find the original stock that fits it for even cheaper. The gas tube is the upper portion of the hand guard which gas travels through to activate the piston.
this one fits the Intrafuse stock I linked in my previous post.

http://www.amazon.com/Tapco-SKS6601-Tube-Handguard-Black/dp/B0041NXXS8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1379905643&sr=8-2&keywords=tapco+sks+gas+tube

Here is the original that goes with the original wooden furniture
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SKS-GAS-TUBE-CHINESE-7-62x39-/151112920606?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item232f08 2e1e

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SKS-GAS-TUBE-CHINESE-7-62x39-/151112920606?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item232f08 2e1e

The rifle you have has a gas tube that I am pretty sure will work with a different style stock.

Here is your rifle in its original form

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SKS

Edit: Looks like your gas tube should work fine on any stock you buy.

In any case you have a fun rifle there. Once you get your stock situation fixed you should be good to go.

Last edited by ccase39; 09-23-2013 at 03:17 AM.

Old 09-23-2013, 04:07 AM   #6

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

I couldn't stand not knowing what was wrong so I watched a you tube video how to break it down and it is missing the spring that goes into the stock right above the trigger. It appears that this spring was a dampener between the stock and trigger/reciever. My gas tube is wood that's been painted black

Old 09-23-2013, 04:25 AM   #7

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

There also appears to be a pin missing in the front that held the stock tight in the front

Old 09-24-2013, 12:23 AM   #8

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

I put a roll pin in the hole in the front of the stock where the cleaning rod was supposed to go and I went to the hardware store and got a spring to put under the trigger assemble. World of difference on the stock feeling loose. The folding stock had a stopblock in it so I took that out and it folds up nice. Ithink I'm going to shoot it this way for a while before I change stocks to make sure I like it.

Thanks ccase39 for the help
People Like This 
Old 09-24-2013, 04:49 PM   #9

Liked 81 Times on 56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkuhar View Post
I put a roll pin in the hole in the front of the stock where the cleaning rod was supposed to go and I went to the hardware store and got a spring to put under the trigger assemble. World of difference on the stock feeling loose. The folding stock had a stopblock in it so I took that out and it folds up nice. Ithink I'm going to shoot it this way for a while before I change stocks to make sure I like it.

Thanks ccase39 for the help
Unless there's a functional issue I do not think I would change stocks, that thing looks sweet, I've been eyeballing on archangel stock to put on mine. I really like that look. What power scope is that?
purehavoc Likes This 
Old 09-24-2013, 07:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 304inc View Post
Unless there's a functional issue I do not think I would change stocks, that thing looks sweet, I've been eyeballing on archangel stock to put on mine. I really like that look. What power scope is that?
I agree. It looks a whole lot better than my Intrafuse.