New (I think) Romanian Variant. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > New (I think) Romanian Variant.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2011, 11:36 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Quentin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,658
Liked 1070 Times on 753 Posts
Likes Given: 1075

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
...I'm still debating the M10. I really like the Draco gas block. They say it takes a lot of weight off of the muzzle.
I don't know much about this new model but my plain jane WASR10 never has given me any trouble for five years. Pretty hard to beat for a cheap AKM, really an impressive rifle for the money. The October SWAT magazine has an article on one of Pat Rogers' WASRs being run through a class. Quite positive review, other than the obvious ergonomic and sight issues of the AK.
__________________

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.
________________________________________
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Quentin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:05 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mjkeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Wichita,Kansas
Posts: 4,026
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7 View Post
Rifle Dynamics' website really talks them up. While I like them and I'm sure it does lighten it up, I just don't see how it could lighten them up THAT much. All your doing is removing the FSB. But then again, I don't know all that much about AK's so maybe it does a lot more than it look.

-Fred
I don't think it's as much of removing a lot of weight as it is moving the weight closer to the center of the rifle making for better balance that in turn makes the rifle feel lighter and increases maneuverability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
I don't know much about this new model but my plain jane WASR10 never has given me any trouble for five years. Pretty hard to beat for a cheap AKM, really an impressive rifle for the money. The October SWAT magazine has an article on one of Pat Rogers' WASRs being run through a class. Quite positive review, other than the obvious ergonomic and sight issues of the AK.
I had a WASR10 a couple years ago and was happy. I was just wanting something a little different and I had read the Draco style GB made for a great handling weapon.
__________________
mjkeat is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:20 AM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
FCross7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 1,017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
I don't think it's as much of removing a lot of weight as it is moving the weight closer to the center of the rifle making for better balance that in turn makes the rifle feel lighter and increases maneuverability.
Ah, that's very true. I hadn't thought of it that way. Once I get my Saiga and get it converted, I may have to look into sending it to Rifle Dynamics to have that done.

-Fred
__________________

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

FCross7 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:57 AM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Weirton, WV,PA
Posts: 251
Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

I'm guessing this new config makes an already short sight radius even shorter.
Maybe if the rear sights were moved to the recvr cover a la Galil or VALMET...

__________________
nfafan is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:12 AM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mjkeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Wichita,Kansas
Posts: 4,026
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfafan View Post
I'm guessing this new config makes an already short sight radius even shorter.
Maybe if the rear sights were moved to the recvr cover a la Galil or VALMET...
A red dot will remedy the short sight radius problem.
__________________
mjkeat is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:52 AM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
FCross7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 1,017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfafan View Post
I'm guessing this new config makes an already short sight radius even shorter.
Maybe if the rear sights were moved to the recvr cover a la Galil or VALMET...
I would think that the receiver mounted sights on AKs would have a hard time keeping zero. At least on the Yugo I had, the receiver never really locked down that tight and had a good bit of wiggle, something that wouldn't be indicative to holding zero well. Like MJkeat said, a red dot remedies the problem, and I'm planning on mounting an Aimpoint on the Ultimak rail anyhow.

-Fred
__________________

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

FCross7 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:22 PM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Weirton, WV,PA
Posts: 251
Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Yeah, true that on the rcvr cover sights. I haven't seen a VALMET up close and personal in over 25years now, and it's been awhile since I fondled one of the Century "Golanis". Can't recall how they handle the potential to wiggle.

Regardless, I had an RDS fail on me on my SIG522 - it made for an abrupt end to the fun and I'll never feel trust in them again. At least these new-style Romy's have ironsights to fall back to.

__________________
nfafan is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:31 PM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mjkeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Wichita,Kansas
Posts: 4,026
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfafan View Post
Yeah, true that on the rcvr cover sights. I haven't seen a VALMET up close and personal in over 25years now, and it's been awhile since I fondled one of the Century "Golanis". Can't recall how they handle the potential to wiggle.

Regardless, I had an RDS fail on me on my SIG522 - it made for an abrupt end to the fun and I'll never feel trust in them again. At least these new-style Romy's have ironsights to fall back to.
There are a couple of great mounting options on the market. One replaces the rear site and the other is a low profile mount that uses the mounting location on the side of the reciever. Not the old style, high enough to give you a nose bleed. This mount will actually let you co-witness an Aimpoint.

----

What brand RDS was it that failed on you?
__________________
mjkeat is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:33 PM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mjkeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Wichita,Kansas
Posts: 4,026
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7 View Post
I would think that the receiver mounted sights on AKs would have a hard time keeping zero. At least on the Yugo I had, the receiver never really locked down that tight and had a good bit of wiggle, something that wouldn't be indicative to holding zero well. Like MJkeat said, a red dot remedies the problem, and I'm planning on mounting an Aimpoint on the Ultimak rail anyhow.

-Fred
Take a look at Midwest Industries AK mounting solution.
__________________
mjkeat is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:14 AM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
FCross7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 1,017
Default

I saw the Midwest Industries rail, and it is really nice. I especially like the fact that you can get a top rail that allows a co-witness with an aimpoint, and the price is right. The only thing I'm leery on is the weight. The handguard with the regular railed top handguard weighs 10 oz. It doesn't say how the Aimpoint handguard compares, but I'd assume it would be similar. I'm not sure that I wanna add 10 oz to the front of my gun. The ultimak rail says it only adds 1 oz.

I'll have to wait until I get the rifle to see what the weight feels like before I make any decisions.

-Fred

__________________

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

FCross7 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Buying an AK variant soon bmatt1 AK & SKS Discussion 9 07-24-2011 02:59 AM
SKS Vietnamese Variant? Scans sailor1 AK & SKS Discussion 3 03-07-2011 08:38 PM
EAA AK variant skullcrusher AK & SKS Discussion 2 12-28-2010 05:33 AM
Which Mosin-Nagant variant? HawkI Curio & Relic Discussion 34 11-08-2010 08:13 PM
Want to convert HK usp 45 lem trigger to variant 1 cbaze19 Semi-Auto Handguns 0 08-30-2010 11:30 PM