New (I think) Romanian Variant. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > New (I think) Romanian Variant.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2011, 11:36 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1070 Times on 753 Posts
Likes Given: 1075

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
...I'm still debating the M10. I really like the Draco gas block. They say it takes a lot of weight off of the muzzle.
I don't know much about this new model but my plain jane WASR10 never has given me any trouble for five years. Pretty hard to beat for a cheap AKM, really an impressive rifle for the money. The October SWAT magazine has an article on one of Pat Rogers' WASRs being run through a class. Quite positive review, other than the obvious ergonomic and sight issues of the AK.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:05 AM   #12

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7 View Post
Rifle Dynamics' website really talks them up. While I like them and I'm sure it does lighten it up, I just don't see how it could lighten them up THAT much. All your doing is removing the FSB. But then again, I don't know all that much about AK's so maybe it does a lot more than it look.

-Fred
I don't think it's as much of removing a lot of weight as it is moving the weight closer to the center of the rifle making for better balance that in turn makes the rifle feel lighter and increases maneuverability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
I don't know much about this new model but my plain jane WASR10 never has given me any trouble for five years. Pretty hard to beat for a cheap AKM, really an impressive rifle for the money. The October SWAT magazine has an article on one of Pat Rogers' WASRs being run through a class. Quite positive review, other than the obvious ergonomic and sight issues of the AK.
I had a WASR10 a couple years ago and was happy. I was just wanting something a little different and I had read the Draco style GB made for a great handling weapon.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
I don't think it's as much of removing a lot of weight as it is moving the weight closer to the center of the rifle making for better balance that in turn makes the rifle feel lighter and increases maneuverability.
Ah, that's very true. I hadn't thought of it that way. Once I get my Saiga and get it converted, I may have to look into sending it to Rifle Dynamics to have that done.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 10-10-2011, 02:57 AM   #14

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm guessing this new config makes an already short sight radius even shorter.
Maybe if the rear sights were moved to the recvr cover a la Galil or VALMET...

Old 10-10-2011, 06:12 AM   #15

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfafan View Post
A red dot will remedy the short sight radius problem.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:52 AM   #16

Quote:
I would think that the receiver mounted sights on AKs would have a hard time keeping zero. At least on the Yugo I had, the receiver never really locked down that tight and had a good bit of wiggle, something that wouldn't be indicative to holding zero well. Like MJkeat said, a red dot remedies the problem, and I'm planning on mounting an Aimpoint on the Ultimak rail anyhow.

-Fred

-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 10-10-2011, 12:22 PM   #17

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeah, true that on the rcvr cover sights. I haven't seen a VALMET up close and personal in over 25years now, and it's been awhile since I fondled one of the Century "Golanis". Can't recall how they handle the potential to wiggle.

Regardless, I had an RDS fail on me on my SIG522 - it made for an abrupt end to the fun and I'll never feel trust in them again. At least these new-style Romy's have ironsights to fall back to.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:31 PM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Yeah, true that on the rcvr cover sights. I haven't seen a VALMET up close and personal in over 25years now, and it's been awhile since I fondled one of the Century "Golanis". Can't recall how they handle the potential to wiggle.

Regardless, I had an RDS fail on me on my SIG522 - it made for an abrupt end to the fun and I'll never feel trust in them again. At least these new-style Romy's have ironsights to fall back to.
There are a couple of great mounting options on the market. One replaces the rear site and the other is a low profile mount that uses the mounting location on the side of the reciever. Not the old style, high enough to give you a nose bleed. This mount will actually let you co-witness an Aimpoint.

----

What brand RDS was it that failed on you?

Old 10-10-2011, 05:33 PM   #19

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7 View Post
I would think that the receiver mounted sights on AKs would have a hard time keeping zero. At least on the Yugo I had, the receiver never really locked down that tight and had a good bit of wiggle, something that wouldn't be indicative to holding zero well. Like MJkeat said, a red dot remedies the problem, and I'm planning on mounting an Aimpoint on the Ultimak rail anyhow.

-Fred
Take a look at Midwest Industries AK mounting solution.

Old 10-11-2011, 02:14 AM   #20

I saw the Midwest Industries rail, and it is really nice. I especially like the fact that you can get a top rail that allows a co-witness with an aimpoint, and the price is right. The only thing I'm leery on is the weight. The handguard with the regular railed top handguard weighs 10 oz. It doesn't say how the Aimpoint handguard compares, but I'd assume it would be similar. I'm not sure that I wanna add 10 oz to the front of my gun. The ultimak rail says it only adds 1 oz.

I'll have to wait until I get the rifle to see what the weight feels like before I make any decisions.

-Fred

-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!