Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > New flash hider on the RPK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2008, 03:35 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default New flash hider on the RPK

OK, so I changed out the stock AK muzzle brake for this birdcage style flash hider. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm sure performance won't be changed much. I mainly got it for looks anyway. It required some minor dremel work for the little tab to seat in its notches, but that was nothing big. I think it looks good... Any opinions?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-03-2008, 03:38 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

by the way, I think my next mod is to find someone who will properly weld on the side rail for the receiver, so I can mount a scope on this thing. I figure a long barrel, heavy rifle like this would make a better sniper-ish support weapon than an front line or breaching weapon (not that I'll really be doing either with it, hopefully).

Old 09-03-2008, 03:48 AM   #3

Looks nice-- real nice, but I wouldn't bother with a scope for it.

"Trust in God, but keep your powder dry."
signed,
Joe

Old 09-03-2008, 05:03 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBeck View Post
Looks nice-- real nice, but I wouldn't bother with a scope for it.
I know what you are trying to say, but I have other regular rifles with iron sights. I picture a big, heavy, long RPK as being used in a stationary position to hit targets from 100 to 300 yards at a fast rate. Maybe not a scope, but some sort of sighting system that will give a better aim at 100 yards or more. The iron sights max out at 100 yards for my eyes.

I know the 7.62x39 round isn't exactly a sniper round, but the rpk WAS designed for infantry support. It SHOULD be able to shoot past 100 yards. With an accurate aiming device (like a small scope), the rpk could become very handy for this purpose...

any more thoughts on the subject? This is an interesting topic to me.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:09 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2263 Times on 1188 Posts
Likes Given: 155

I replaced the slant brake on my Polish under folder with a birdcage FH. The recoil benefits of the slant brake cannot be very big and the FH will (hopefully) reduce the visible signature of the rifle.

Old 09-04-2008, 01:09 AM   #6

I guess the side scope mount is the way to go then-- I'd just get the 3-9x42 that was originally designed for SVD rifles.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/PO3-9X42SVD.html

This scope comes with a mounting system. 3-9 is plenty to get you out to well beyond 300 yards.

Personally I'd go with a EOTech on it. After all, it was built as a full auto squad leader gun so with that drum on there, and a red dot-- oh man talking major fun.

"Trust in God, but keep your powder dry."
signed,
Joe

Old 09-04-2008, 01:03 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2263 Times on 1188 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Oh, yeah! EoTech, C-More or other holographic sight would be perfect for this application. Boo Coo fun!

Old 09-04-2008, 10:12 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Oh, yeah! EoTech, C-More or other holographic sight would be perfect for this application. Boo Coo fun!
well, anything that will make this rifle viable at 100-300 yards is fine with me. I already have firearms that work well between 1-100 yards. And I know the rpk isn't sniper-level, but I bet I could place every shot on a human-sized target at 200 yards with it (with a good aiming system).

I like the idea of the russian scope, to fit with the look of the rpk. Since this rifle really is just for fun, looks are important to me.