New Baby - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > New Baby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2009, 06:43 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

The cosmoline should come off the stock fairly easily. Some guys actually put their stock in the top of a dishwasher and let 'er rip. It's supposed to do a great job. The oven or the sun will work, but expect the stock to ooze for a while, it may take several cleanings to get it really clean.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 10-05-2009, 12:19 AM   #12

I am having a real problem seperating the stock from the reciever. I have stripped the magazine, the trigger assembly, and the gas area. I flipped the bayonet up and the damn thing wont budge. Any advice.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:25 AM   #13

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I take it the cleaning rod is out,the Yugo's have been in cosmoline for quiet some time the stuff can be like glue when it comes to separating the stock from the receiver.

Best way to separate it is to warm it up in the hot sun a little if possible then place the rifle receiver down and prop the back of the stock up slightly and use a wooden dowel and hammer through the trigger group hole and gently tap it out.

Don't use gas to remove cosmoline to explosive K1 Kerosene or plain old HOT soapy water works fine. Here is a good site on the SKS lots of useful info. I would clean my stock with mineral spirits,you can also use low heat to bake the cosmo out of the wood I don't recommend putting a wooded stock in a dishwasher or any water for that matter you may have some fit issued from the stock swelling up getting the receiver and trigger group back in. Also always make sure you cock the rifle let the bolt go back forward put the safety on before removing the trigger group makes getting it back in a whole lot easier.

Collecting and Shooting the SKS Carbine - HISTORY

Old 10-12-2009, 05:47 PM   #14

here she is

dsc00588.jpg   dsc00587.jpg