well i decided to go a different route with the colour. a divergence off the "russian red". this is the first coat of raw stain. its one called sangria.
its going to get the second coat tomorrow and a wet sand with the stain to get the color more into the wood. it should come out looking like a rich red with touch of purple
and i stupidly took the cleaning kit spring out of the stock. dont do it if you really dont have to. while i had it out i cleaned the cosmo off it and out of the stock. the base of the spring is MUCH wider than the hole it goes in and its a freekin bear to get back in!! took an hour to do it.