New AK owner with a few questions? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > New AK owner with a few questions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2009, 07:07 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Nice rommy! Nice vid also, It did have me laughing when the brass kept wacking the camera and whatever it was sitting on (car/truck?)
My Sar-1 throws steel cases about 30-40 ft to the side and 10ft to the front.
First time shooting it was at my club, cases were bouncing off the roof support poles and landing two benches down!
Talk about positive ejection!!
Luckily I had the range to myself that day

Good stuff---Gate

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 11-21-2009, 08:07 PM   #12

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Amen to everything Cane suggested. I would also buy more mags. There are several sources and are plentiful right now, so I would get at least half a dozen more. Right or wrong I was always taught to rotate magazines every 2-4 weeks and have never experienced a failure with any steel AK 47 mag, this includes 30 and 40 round capacity types of various origin. However, a buddy of mine bought a couple of the 50 round types and they were total junk.

Here are a couple more "Must Haves" if you are planning to shoot using open sights.

This front sight makes a world of difference as the standard AK front sight is simply to wide.

KNS Sight AK-47, MAK-90, SKS Duplex Crosshair Reticle Matte - MidwayUSA

This tool will adjust windage and elevation.

Sights & Sight Tools

Happy Shooting!

Old 11-21-2009, 08:25 PM   #13

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Hey Vit, what's all that white crap lying on the ground in your video?? I don't think I could shoot my Romey with that much clothes on.

Good stuff!
Yeah, It snowed the evening before, It was a nice calm 20deg. at the time and yes my dang jacket got caught on the rear sling loop.
Here are my sleeping quarters the night before ...

Yes I slept in the back of my FJ40, I didnt feel like puting up a tent during a snow storm.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:33 PM   #14

Thanks Gate and Diggs.
Yeah the spent rounds were bouncing off my vehicle, I kept moving away, I thought I was far enough, But I guess not, I couldnt hear it any more, So I thought I was good.
The sights seem to be working fairly well for me at the moment, I was able to hit objects 40 feet away with relative ease, I know thats not very difficult, But it was really the first time I shot the AK, I was considering a red dot sight, But its ether a $400.00 nice one or a $50.00 el-cheapo, I will see what I feel like, My wife wouldnt appreciate me spending a ton of money on the rifle a few weeks after purchase.
Thanks again for the thought.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:41 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 233 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 499

About the red dot site, I have a 50.00 dollar tru-glo on my romey, its no aimpoint, but it is water proof and shock resistint, and only 50 bucks, havent had a issue with it yet while shooting, and it keeps on target, picked it up at cheaperthandirt.com along with the mount for it. just a suggestion, also good find with that rifle, they are so fun!

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Old 11-21-2009, 11:24 PM   #16

Thanks for the reply Col. Ive done a bit of searching on amazon and there are quite a few scopes or red dot sights for well under $100.00.
Ive never owned a scope or red dot sight, What is more functional? I know... Im going to go out on a limb here and say "it depends on what I intend to do with the rifle" Right? I like the idea of a red dot sight, But I feel a scope might be more enjoyable, You know reach out and touch someone/thing FWIW, Im planing on purchasing a bipod as well, Ive been quite suprized to see how inexpensive some of the accessories can be, As long as you doo a little searching, Like for the crook spring replacement part, The price on that alone can vary quite a bit($5-25 depending on which site).
I will need to do a bit of soul searching on the scope/red dot choice.
Sorry for the long winded posts, Ive got a lot on my mind about this AK, Its been a great 2 weeks of ownership
Thanks again

Old 11-22-2009, 06:52 PM   #17

Lucky me! There was a gun show this weekend, So I wandered over and ...

UTG Bipod, AK Mount with tri-rail and NcStar 3-9X40R Sporting scope
Now to get out and use it! Not too shabby for $120.00 with admission for two, My son was in awe

Old 11-23-2009, 04:55 AM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

So you're going for a long/mid range accuracy out of a Romo? You'll have to post up a range report in conjunction with type of ammo used and what sort of rest involved. I typically shoot off of one knee, standing or occasionally prone (don't use rests unless sighting in because it's just not real) and struggle to put every round on paper with my Romo at 150-200 yards (usually 90% on a 12 x 18) using open sights. This has improved after the replacement front sight addition and although I've installed and used scopes/mounts I haven't quite decided if they are practical for use on my Romo (not quite as tactical as your's) and this weapon was designed for "Not greater than needed accuracy".

I'm curious to hear what you think.

Old 11-27-2009, 03:16 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 233 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 499

nice lookin sight! please send range report!

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Old 11-27-2009, 05:31 AM   #20

Lots of AK stuff here:

Centerfire Systems - AK Parts & Accessories

AK Accessory Package Part #AKACC-SPEC

Special - Packages of 4 AK Bayonets

KGB
01FFL - $20 Transfers In Indianapolis Area.