New AK left handed charging handle.

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > New AK left handed charging handle.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2013, 08:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 709 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

Default New AK left handed charging handle.

Just saw this on YouTube, it's pricey but it's pretty cool. It's an FAL charging handle and even folds out of the way so it's pretty low profile.

I may end up with one if I ever get an AK.. There's always tax time.

Here's the website.

http://lastroundholdopenak47.com

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Last edited by sputnik1988; 12-16-2013 at 09:12 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-16-2013, 11:15 PM   #2

Thought I'd give it a bump in case anyone that may be interested missed it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 12-16-2013, 11:47 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5678 Times on 2965 Posts
Likes Given: 375

I would be interested if it was just a new dust cover and left hand bolt carrier. I'm not a big fan of non-reciprocating handles on guns that should have one. If you don't have a forward assist you need that handle to do chamber checks quietly.

Although if you use a side rail it would be a huge nogo.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 12-16-2013 at 11:49 PM.

Old 12-17-2013, 12:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
I would be interested if it was just a new dust cover and left hand bolt carrier. I'm not a big fan of non-reciprocating handles on guns that should have one. If you don't have a forward assist you need that handle to do chamber checks quietly.

Although if you use a side rail it would be a huge nogo.
You still have the factory charging handle if you really need it. Having an optics rail would likely render it useless though.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 12-17-2013, 01:39 AM   #5

Liked 328 Times on 182 Posts

That's pretty slick. Way better than putting a lightning cut on the left side of your top cover, cutting a charging tab off an old bolt, and welding it on the left side of your existing bolt.

Old 12-17-2013, 01:46 AM   #6

Liked 65 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I may have to do this. As a lefty I would love to have it on the left.

Mossberg 590A1
Centurian C39 AK pistol
Sig 226
SA xdm 45 compact
H&K USP .40
Sig 938 Extreme
SA 1911 SS Loaded Model
Sig 716 Patrol .308

Old 12-17-2013, 02:09 AM   #7

Me personally, I think being able to charge the rifle with your support hand is one of the best ideas in modern firearms history.

I never understood why the charging handle was on the right side of so many rifles save for the fact that that's the side that it ejects from. I guess most people like it that way, I really never did.

I really like the idea of being able to change a mag and rack the CH without taking your rifle off target, plus it just seems more natural to me.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 12-17-2013, 01:10 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1955 Times on 1356 Posts
Likes Given: 999

A well done video. Look beyond the dazzle. A trained operator will reload and charge just as quickly with the right hand. You use the spare mag to knock out the empty one, and slam it home in a two-bit motion. To positively secure the 9 pound rifle against your shoulder, you hold it by the forend, in front if the center mass. Compare it to keeping your right hand on the pistol grip, behind the center mass, while recharging with your left.

A left hand charger really works in a bullpup, or a light carbine like the CX4. They balance differently. I think a left handed mod is fine on the AK, but I also understand why the real life Russian AKs remain right handed to this day. The Israelis had it both ways by switching to the top charging handle.

Old 12-17-2013, 04:41 PM   #9

Liked 1131 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

I have found that I dont mind reaching over the top and charging with my left hand with my long monkey arms and charging it with my last 2 fingers . Im getting pretty used to it now that I have been using that method and reloads happen pretty quickly . It might be a issue if your using optics to charge it that way but mine is just set up with irons and I intend on leaving it like that .

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 12-17-2013, 04:58 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1955 Times on 1356 Posts
Likes Given: 999

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
I have found that I dont mind reaching over the top and charging with my left hand with my long monkey arms and charging it with my last 2 fingers . Im getting pretty used to it now that I have been using that method and reloads happen pretty quickly . It might be a issue if your using optics to charge it that way but mine is just set up with irons and I intend on leaving it like that .
It is easy indeed with a quick left rifle tilt if you want to hang on to the pistol grip.

The point made of keeping the sights on target may be valid in a fixed target drill, but less so against moving targets that you likely have to reacquire anyway.
That said, I have seen a quote from a Russian Ministry of Defense official, that the AK is "morally outdated". Don't know what it means exactly, but could be the it's operation too.