Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Need some pointers on which sks to buy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2011, 06:42 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Plinker or hog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastazz View Post
I really would like to use it as a plinker and hog rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk
Either one will do the job. I persoally like the SKS for hunting just a little more accurate, but for just blasting the Ak is my choice, but either gun works well for plinking or hunting. It's just my personal feelings...

Old 09-04-2011, 04:42 AM   #32

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

I actually purchased two SKS rifles from a shop in Georgia. Both had issues even though they were unfired surplus. So I decided to make one from the two. After some building, adjusting and fitting, I ended up with a very reliable and pleasant shooting rifle. I went all out and sanded down the wood frame, filled all the scratches and notches with filler and painted it with a tiger strip design. I found a bolt on rail system to support a scope and added a suppressor along with a rubber butt for comfort. Fired 500 rounds through the rifle with no jams at 250 yards. It turned out better than I could have imagined. The 7.62 round along with the add on's ended up giving me a very sweet looking and shooting rifle. Total money spent not including time in the build was around 350. I couldn’t afford an AK so I did my best with the SKS. Will be happy to send a Pic or two if you’re interested. Good luck.

No such thing as a "running start"
NRA, ILE, American Shooter

Old 09-04-2011, 07:57 PM   #33

Pics added to the gallery under SKS build.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:56 PM   #34

Default sks

Although they are kind of rare, I have a chi-com Norinco SKS with a chrome 16" barrel, that accepts AK magazines(from the factory, not a conversion). I got it NIB at a gunshow in Atlanta. it was mixed in with a bunch of 'normal' SKS that have fixed magazines. Kind of the best of both worlds. I added a folding stock and it's now my main ranch and farm rifle. I've shot several hogs, goats and a few feral dogs with it. Very effective little carbine. However it and the AK are (IMHO) both butt-ugly, clunky, weapons with the balance of an old tractor. The M1 carbine looks and handles much better. but I stupidly traded that one away some years ago, and now they can be a bit pricey.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:12 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglybluejeep
Although they are kind of rare, I have a chi-com Norinco SKS with a chrome 16" barrel, that accepts AK magazines(from the factory, not a conversion). I got it NIB at a gunshow in Atlanta. it was mixed in with a bunch of 'normal' SKS that have fixed magazines. Kind of the best of both worlds. I added a folding stock and it's now my main ranch and farm rifle. I've shot several hogs, goats and a few feral dogs with it. Very effective little carbine. However it and the AK are (IMHO) both butt-ugly, clunky, weapons with the balance of an old tractor. The M1 carbine looks and handles much better. but I stupidly traded that one away some years ago, and now they can be a bit pricey.
I had an m1 carbine myself and sold it for books in collage. Stupid thing I did. If I had it to do over, I would have picked up cans or washed cars to have that carbine back. Live and learn. I do love my sks though and will be building another soon.