Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Need some pointers on which sks to buy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2011, 01:42 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4450 Times on 2348 Posts
Likes Given: 254

If the sks was chambered in 7.62x54r it would be one helluva rifle and definately a better buy than an ak. But just to shoot 7.62x39.... if i had to choose tween sks and ak it would be ak no question.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-11-2011, 05:02 PM   #22

Default SKS to buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
You should look for an AK-47 if you're going commie gun. They'll do everything the SKS will plus you have the most prevalent, reliable and rugged rifle on the face of the planet.

I like the SKS, but if you are only getting one, make it an AK
I disagree. I have jhad both and I had more fun shooting my tricked out SKS than I did the clunky AK and it's god-awful 30 round magazine. I'm sorry, but after ten rounds I want a chance for a breather.

My SKS is now an unfinished project, with a Belarus receiver mount integrated onto the side of the rifle the way the Serbian SKS snipers were made

Yugoslavia Model 59/66 SKS Sniper
Yugoslavia Model 59/66 SKS Sniper - Cached
Picture page and research information on my Yugo M48 Sniper rifle used during the war in Bosnia.

I also have a soviet PU scope mount that the Serbs also used on the SKS

Plus a bipod

It was a grand project which is abandoned because I have no place to shoot

The SKS (a chicom) is now for sale $200 with accys. face to face in Central Florida
(off list at CZ52_99@yahoo.com)

yodar

Old 08-11-2011, 05:09 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodar

I disagree. I have jhad both and I had more fun shooting my tricked out SKS than I did the clunky AK and it's god-awful 30 round magazine. I'm sorry, but after ten rounds I want a chance for a breather.

My SKS is now an unfinished project, with a Belarus receiver mount integrated onto the side of the rifle the way the Serbian SKS snipers were made

Yugoslavia Model 59/66 SKS Sniper
Yugoslavia Model 59/66 SKS Sniper - Cached
Picture page and research information on my Yugo M48 Sniper rifle used during the war in Bosnia.

I also have a soviet PU scope mount that the Serbs also used on the SKS

Plus a bipod

It was a grand project which is abandoned because I have no place to shoot

The SKS (a chicom) is now for sale $200 with accys. face to face in Central Florida
(off list at CZ52_99@yahoo.com)

yodar
I agree. I really like the look of the SKS better than the AK. In my opinion it look like tractor parts but I'm sure it is still a good rifle and very rugged but I want something that looks nice too.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

Old 08-11-2011, 05:37 PM   #24

Default SKS vs AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastazz View Post
I agree. I really like the look of the SKS better than the AK. In my opinion it look like tractor parts but I'm sure it is still a good rifle and very rugged but I want something that looks nice too.

The truth oif your preference is that Russian Drill and honor guards are equipped with (often chromed) SKS because they are easier and safer to gp through a ceremonial manual of arms

yodar

Old 08-11-2011, 06:33 PM   #25
Deader Bears=Better Bears

Liked 5599 Times on 3295 Posts
Likes Given: 4684

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodar View Post
My SKS is now an unfinished project, with a Belarus receiver mount integrated onto the side of the rifle the way the Serbian SKS snipers were made.
yodar
Sounds like a good thread on its evolution.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Old 08-11-2011, 07:56 PM   #26

Default sks is prototype for AK ? NOT!

not

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyforlife1972nova View Post
I don't believe that is correct
SKS was designed by an old guard gun designer (Simonov) whose anti tank rifle showed promise as a design basis for a automatic rifle and some say it evolved into the SKS

Then Simonov did the SKS thing and for some reason it wasn't well liked, and some suspect it was POLITICS (he was old guard )

That's when Kalashnikov entered the picture with his design which seemed to develop more appeal among the Generals.

The two designs are NOT related. Many Kalashnikov features are more unique, while SKS design show influence of the Simonov PTRS antitank rifle, which was rather a beast.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/aa/PTRS_41.jpg/800px-PTRS_41.jpg

"The SKS was to be a gap-filling firearm produced using the proven operating mechanism design of the PTRS and using proven milled forging manufacturing techniques. This was to provide a fallback for the radically new and experimental design of the AK-47, in the event that the AK proved to be a failure. In fact, the original stamped receiver AK-47 had to be quickly redesigned to use a milled receiver which delayed production, and extended the SKS rifles' service life." [WIKIpedia]

yodar

Old 08-12-2011, 12:12 AM   #27

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default pointers on sks to buy

I like both the AK & SKS, both guns r very reliable and rugged. $275 for a good chicom is a good price. I have a Ruskie sks i love it. I am also very fond of the AK. It's personal taste, and what you intend to do with the gun. I would look for a screw in barrel, early model chinese. The Romanian and yugo are also very well made, just check the bore. You can't go wrong with either one. Good Luck"

Old 08-12-2011, 12:53 AM   #28

I really would like to use it as a plinker and hog rifle.

Old 08-20-2011, 05:20 PM   #29

Default pinned in barrell

I have been shooting the sks since i was a little boy. I have learned there is one important difference on the many different types. pinned in barrell or screwed in barrell. I have found the screwed in barrells to be mor accurate.

Old 08-20-2011, 06:22 PM   #30

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Screw in barrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by sksmaniac View Post
I have been shooting the sks since i was a little boy. I have learned there is one important difference on the many different types. pinned in barrell or screwed in barrell. I have found the screwed in barrells to be mor accurate.
I totally agree. Screw in barrell is the way to go. Actually i just recently ran across some info on the size of the collar that holds barrell in place, Some models have a short collar, they said that the longer collar represents a heavier barrell. I'm not 100% sure if it is correct. I read it on a blog. I did check my Russian and it did have a longer collar then my buddies Chinese. Both guns shot well, don't know if it really makes a difference.