Need some pointers on which sks to buy - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion >

Need some pointers on which sks to buy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2011, 01:01 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default me personally

I have never payed over 120 for a sks but those days are gone. Everyone is buying sks's becuase they cant afford the AK jump in price. There usta be create and creates of sks at gun shows now not so much under like 220 you got a good deal chrome lined barrel is a plus. Being your age I would wait and save to buy something nice when your allowed

Old 08-09-2011, 01:04 AM   #12

Default huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
7.62 x 39...the SKS is the prototype of the AK-47 so they shoot the same caliber ammo...
I don't believe that is correct

Old 08-09-2011, 01:24 AM   #13

Liked 781 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyforlife1972nova View Post
I don't believe that is correct
which part?

http://www.hk94.com/sks-rifle.php
"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 08-09-2011, 01:29 AM   #14

the sks and AK were being created at like the same time all the research I have done they were not one before the other but 2 separate designers competing to get there weapon adopted by the military

Old 08-09-2011, 01:33 AM   #15

Liked 781 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyforlife1972nova View Post
the sks and AK were being created at like the same time all the research I have done they were not one before the other but 2 separate designers competing to get there weapon adopted by the military
I may be wrong but I believe the SKS pre-dates the AK by about 6-7 years, 1949 versus 1956.
"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 08-09-2011, 01:53 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1734 Times on 902 Posts
Likes Given: 3667

Thanks for the SKS link. Interesting.

Old 08-09-2011, 04:53 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

The "floating" firing pin thing on the SKS is only a danger if you don't keep it clean, but there are spring-equipped replacements out there for about $50. Regarding magazine size, i use the 20 round mags, but there are wind-up drums for SKS's if that is your thing.

Old 08-09-2011, 05:37 PM   #18

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

personally I would go with an AK, I don't like the trigger assembly on the sks, if the safety bar get bent or something happens that messes with that bar it's a pain in the ass. You could always get a saiga they are russian and come in everything from .410 to .308

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."

Old 08-11-2011, 01:07 AM   #19

Liked 95 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 138

I would not buy an SKS, mainly because it does not have a detachable mag...I know that some have been modified to take the AK mag, but I would still pick an AK47, AR15, or MINI14 over an SKS. I bought one back in the 90's for $120, it was a NIB Norinco and it worked good, but it was not up to the same standards as the other rifles I mentioned, and the fact that it did not have a detachable mag was a drag. (IMHO)

Old 08-11-2011, 09:12 AM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3586 Times on 1841 Posts
Likes Given: 400

The SKS was intended to have a 10 shot fixed magazine. Some fixed and detachable higher capacity mags work, many do not. The SKS is a rugged, accurate carbine with in its limitations. If you choose to go that route, I would look for a Russian model first. They are pricier but reputed to be the best of the breed. The Chinese Norincos are not military rifles, but commercial copies made for the US market. I have a Norinco that has always worked well. The Albanian models are cool variants that difer from the others, but were imported in much smaller numbers and are probably the most expensive. I would but the Yugos well down the list as they do not have chrome bores and many have corroded bores and gas pistons. They look cool, but many have issues that are not easily corrected as parts are not available. The Yugos were actually issued to line troops and have character.

The AK is a different breed. Reliable, high capacity, but less accurate (generally). The AK47/AKM is 7.62 X 39 just like the SKS. The AK 74 is 5.45 X 39. There are other rifles similar to the AK in other calibers (5.56 X 45, .308, 7.62 X 54R), but these are not really AKs.

I do not see much similarity between the AK and SKS. Perhaps in the gas piston arrangement, but the bolt/carrier is VERY different. To say Sgt. Kalashnikov took any ideas from the SKS is a stretch. Simonov and Kalashnikov likely worked independetly of one another in the development of the rifles.

IMHO to call the Kalashnikov rifles we have in the US by the name AK-47 is a misnomer. An AK-47 is a milled receiver, select fire machine gun. The typical US legal AK is more of a semi-auto variant of an AKM with its stamped receiver and slant brake.