Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AK & SKS Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   Need some help gas tube for nhm-91 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/need-some-help-gas-tube-nhm-91-a-48029/)

aktommysks 09-09-2011 06:18 PM

Need some help gas tube for nhm-91
 
I'm doing the compliance thing. I figured it would be easier to replace gas tube, rather then piston. I ordered a USA tube, but my original tube has vented slots at end of tube, The new one doesn't. Should i cut slots in new one or will it work without them. Appreciate any info.

orangello 09-09-2011 06:24 PM

Not sure; when i replaced my SKS's gas tube, the original piston didn't fit as well as the new one from the same company as the new tube (Tapco). The new tube had similar ports to the OEM on my SKS.

I would bet the manufacturer sold it complete & not in need of modification.

aktommysks 09-09-2011 06:37 PM

Gas tube
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello (Post 577443)
Not sure; when i replaced my SKS's gas tube, the original piston didn't fit as well as the new one from the same company as the new tube (Tapco). The new tube had similar ports to the OEM on my SKS.

I would bet the manufacturer sold it complete & not in need of modification.

Thanks Orangello, from what i can find out is with the cut you get less carbon, it's hard to get a clear cut answer. I don't think it would be too hard to make some cuts, but if i don't need them i'd rather not. thanks for the quick reply.

orangello 09-09-2011 06:39 PM

Cool model, BTW. Does your handguard get smokey after a long shoot? I read something about them not having the cooling slots cut in the wood (not the tube).

More "slots" in there than a casino. :rolleyes:


You should throw up a pic of the rare bird.

aktommysks 09-09-2011 07:34 PM

Gas tube
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello (Post 577454)
Cool model, BTW. Does your handguard get smokey after a long shoot? I read something about them not having the cooling slots cut in the wood (not the tube).

More "slots" in there than a casino. :rolleyes:


You should throw up a pic of the rare bird.

I think you misunderstood me. The original tube has slots past handgaurd. the replacrment doesn't have any slots. I haven't even fired it yet. All i've been told is it has heavy receiver and heavy 20" barrel. I want to get it compliant then i'll shoot it. Also i have no clue how to post pics. I'm not very computor friendly, but my buddy alot younger then i. I'll get him to put some on when finished.I'm not sure it's evn rare, not very familiar with this model.

orangello 09-09-2011 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aktommysks (Post 577474)
I think you misunderstood me. The original tube has slots past handgaurd. the replacrment doesn't have any slots. I haven't even fired it yet. All i've been told is it has heavy receiver and heavy 20" barrel. I want to get it compliant then i'll shoot it. Also i have no clue how to post pics. I'm not very computor friendly, but my buddy alot younger then i. I'll get him to put some on when finished.I'm not sure it's evn rare, not very familiar with this model.

Sorry, in my first post, i was referring to the gas tube; i would try it as-is first, since the manufacturer probably has it setup to carry a certain amount of pressure so far down the tube. That would probably be altered a good bit by cutting slots in the tube, especially if the slots are near the gasblock end of the tube.



The other slots i mentioned were the usual cutouts in AK-type handguards to let heat out. I have read that your model's handguards did not always have cutouts to release the heat. Chinese NHM91 Review

Sorry for the confusion. That whole compliance thing is a PIA, in my opinion.

I load pics by saving them in a free photobucket account & copying the image tags into my posts. There is another way for this forum, but this way works on most every forum i use. That photobucket free account is also where i keep a backup picture of the serial number of each of my firearms, in case they get swiped and need to be reported missing.

example:
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/f...PANA0028-1.jpg Not my rifle, just copied the picture from a public photobucket account. I marked my album "private", so only i can see all my cat pictures and such.

aktommysks 09-09-2011 09:39 PM

Gas tube
 
"Orangello" I hear you on the compliance thing. I think you are right. I feel why would they have those cuts up front if they didn't have some function. Anyhow i picked up a very narrow cutting blade for my dremmel and i'm going to measure and mark and cut them in and also file any burrs on inside. You make the pic thing sound easy, but i just know i'll mess it up, so when i get it finished i'll have my friend help me. I'll also post my 51 Russkie, i tweeked it out some. Going away for weekend. Thanks for all your help, and thats a sweet 91 you posted. i do have an original 75rd drum. Thanks again have a great weekend...


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:06 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.