need info on my ak - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > need info on my ak

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2012, 02:27 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by RufusTFirefly View Post
Okay...where are you guys finding nice pre-ban Type 56 AKs for $400-$500 ?
...from other people. seriously their not that rare nor special. i mean if you want to sell it by saying its pre-ban to up the price go ahead, but theres nothing different about them. and compared to others they're heavy as hell. yea you cant buy them publicly, but if you are in an AK type of market i.e. a city, almost 1 out of 5 AK owners has a norinco. off hand i know of 3 people, not including dad.

in the end its an AK, and if you are paying over 1000 for any regular wood furniture, solid buttstock, over weight AK, it must have a gold plated piston or something. The only AK worth close to 1k is a CZ. to me anyway.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:15 AM   #12

Soliferrum, from other people. seriously their not that rare nor special.

You are correct up to a point. MAK90's were modified to allow importation after the ban took effect. Pre-ban AK's are limited to whatever made it before 1989. An example is a 56 3 with red fiberglass furniture, only 1 shipping container made it to IACO....3600 rifles. As far as post ban guns whether they were imported from China, Europe, or assembled here in the States, the numbers must be in the millions.

Now if you can find a 56 5 National Match.

Last edited by markb; 01-29-2012 at 11:33 AM.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:31 PM   #13

no im not talking about modified mak-90s. all those letters and numbers the OP has posted i must have seen 3 dozen times over. The numbers 56 (dont remember the S), Norninco, that weird triangle thing, and NY are all a familiar site to me. as for the red fiberglass ones your right, that one i have never ran across. a heavy ass norinco with red fiberglass furniture would defiantly get my attention since all the ones i have seen, as pictured by OP, are all wood, or folding steel stock. im not saying people are wrong in saying its valuable. but a standard AK thats worth 1k, just because its rare in the U.S. is like saying a standard Gen 1's Glock 17 worth 2k because they dont make them any more. maybe im being close minded, but old, rare, used in war guns are the only reason a standard made rifle will be worth more than it should be.

but be the case that it is, i will defiantly be on the look out for fiberglass furniture norincos that are being sold under 500. not to get off topic, but anyone got quick info on Maadi's? those i havent seen too much and i cant seem to get straight information on like Yugo's, WASR's, Maks's, or Norinco's.

Last edited by Soliferrum; 01-29-2012 at 02:37 PM.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:24 PM   #14

Maadi is the Egyptian variation of the Russian AKM. Well built. If I remember correctly the original imports came with full auto carriers and the ATF didn't like that so importation was stopped. Another importer who I can't remember brought in some of the other AK's you mentioned. Disassembled them and rebuilt them to ATF acceptable spec and resold them.

The AK with the red furniture (56-3 not a 56S-3) in my pic while not extremely rare is at current value in the range of $1500 - $2000 depending on condition. The gentleman who sold it to me for $500 even after I told him it's value was selling guns for his deceased brother in law and viewed it as an "evil" gun.

Any guns value is influenced by rarity, condition and someones desire to pay the price to own it. Although not necessarily in the order I mentioned.

Old 01-29-2012, 04:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb View Post
Maadi is the Egyptian variation of the Russian AKM. Well built. If I remember correctly the original imports came with full auto carriers and the ATF didn't like that so importation was stopped. Another importer who I can't remember brought in some of the other AK's you mentioned. Disassembled them and rebuilt them to ATF acceptable spec and resold them.

The AK with the red furniture (56-3 not a 56S-3) in my pic while not extremely rare is at current value in the range of $1500 - $2000 depending on condition. The gentleman who sold it to me for $500 even after I told him it's value was selling guns for his deceased brother in law and viewed it as an "evil" gun.

Any guns value is influenced by rarity, condition and someones desire to pay the price to own it. Although not necessarily in the order I mentioned.
hahah thats why i love AK's, "its the enemies weapon" yea ok bubba, ill gladly take it off your hands. you got an approx value of a Maadi? the acceptable version. saw one awhile back, but didnt get the price.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:46 PM   #16

I don't know where you guys are getting your ak's but I got my cheapest from century arms $300