Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AK & SKS Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   Need help with an SKS problem (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/need-help-sks-problem-64880/)

sputnik1988 05-21-2012 04:38 AM

Need help with an SKS problem

Backstory: I found a completely stripped SKS barreled receiver in my dads outbuilding, he told me it came from a storage building that my uncle bought.
Anyway, the bore was great despite surface rust and light pitting on the outside. He, told me that I could have it and I thought it would be a good truck gun, so I proceeded to buy parts. After some bead blasting, Krylon and a little fitting, it coming together nicely, save for one detail...

My operating rod wont fit??? It's simply too large to fit through the hole. Am I doing something wrong? (surely there is only one way?)

I'm seriously stuck here and have no idea where to go. Any help at all is immensely appreciated.

BTW: its a chinese receiver if it matters.

UrbanNinja 05-21-2012 04:42 AM

Doesn't fit meaning what? Too long? Too wide? Not wide enough?

sputnik1988 05-21-2012 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UrbanNinja (Post 809388)
Doesn't fit meaning what? Too long? Too wide? Not wide enough?

Too wide, I tried to take a pic, but my phone is beyond retarded as usual.

UrbanNinja 05-21-2012 04:53 AM

Is it an aftermarket rod or original? Have you tried very lightly reaming it out with a wire barrel brush? I know mine gets gunked up pretty good sometimes and needs a good scrubbing after a while.

sputnik1988 05-21-2012 05:01 AM

It's original, I'll give it a try right quick.

EDIT: No, it definitely too big.:(

UrbanNinja 05-21-2012 05:07 AM

If that doesn't work, you can try replacing the op rod. I believe tapco sells them for about $10, and its a step towards being 922r compliant.

sputnik1988 05-21-2012 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UrbanNinja (Post 809408)
If that doesn't work, you can try replacing the op rod. I believe tapco sells them for about $10, and its a step towards being 922r compliant.

Tapco discontinued them... this sucks.

UrbanNinja 05-21-2012 05:17 AM

I don't want to sound like a jerk, but I'm going to ask the dumb question here. And for the life of me I cant think of the name of the part right now.. but are you making sure that the little latch that holds it in place isn't getting in your way?

sputnik1988 05-21-2012 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UrbanNinja (Post 809414)
I don't want to sound like a jerk, but I'm going to ask the dumb question here. And for the life of me I cant think of the name of the part right now.. but are you making sure that the little latch that holds it in place isn't getting in your way?

LOL, yeah, i wish that was it. After I cleaned it, I inspected the rod itself and it seems to be slightly flared towards the end. It's so minor that you can barely tell it, but enough to not work. That thing must have had a long rough life. So, I guess I will have to find a replacement somewhere.

UrbanNinja 05-21-2012 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sputnik1988

LOL, yeah, i wish that was it. After I cleaned it, I inspected the rod itself and it seems to be slightly flared towards the end. It's so minor that you can barely tell it, but enough to not work. That thing must have had a long rough life. So, I guess I will have to find a replacement somewhere.

I usually see them at gun shows. I just checked a couple websites and they all seem to be backordered. Except for full compliance kits, which are over $100.