Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > need advice on a sks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 08:01 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Default need advice on a sks

i want to get a sks and i want to be able to custom it or trick it out nothing too crazy just be able to add a hand grip red dot sight and what not (not right away but with time). what i want to know is who makes the best sks for the money and am i better off buying one that already has synthetic furniture or just getting one with wood furniture and adding tapco furniture to it latter on. im on a tight budget so im pretty much just looking for a stock sks but one that has more than a 6 round haha.

i want this gun sport shooting but be able to use to defend my family if needed (keep in my mind i already have a s&w .357,.38,and my old school cop 12 gauge always in arms reach but looking for something with range to it).
This would be my first assault rifle buy so something thats also easier to work with.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-31-2012, 03:54 AM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I say just get it and keep it stock. The original mag is 10 rounds not 6. Some of the tapco stocks need some minor fitting to work right depending on what country your sks comes from.

Just make sure that if you do change it. That you keep the parts that you remove. That way if you can put it back original if you want to sell it at a higher price.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:25 PM   #3
Weapons Aficianado
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4569 Times on 1549 Posts
Likes Given: 1412

Treevor, just my opinion but I feel the Russian SKS would be your best choice.
I have 2 Chicom models and both work flawlessly so they would be second.

Try Gunbroker.com

NSDQ

locutus Likes This 
Old 12-31-2012, 09:49 PM   #4

Liked 178 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I think that you have at least 3 choices: Russian (most costly) , Yugoslavian and Chinese. I have a Yugo SKS and not everybody likes the grenade launcher stuff on it, but it does not harm the function. I bought it last year for $320 and since then I have seen them a bit cheaper in the classifieds. Keep an eye on the local classifieds (backpage.com) and the pawn shops. Be patient and get a fair deal.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:18 PM   #5

Liked 287 Times on 193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by treevor View Post
i want to get a sks
This would be my first assault rifle buy so something thats also easier to work with.
Shhhhhh.......you dont want them banning any SKSs now.........

Old 01-01-2013, 04:37 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 701 Times on 457 Posts
Likes Given: 1925

Quote:
Originally Posted by treevor View Post
i want to get a sks and i want to be able to custom it or trick it out nothing too crazy just be able to add a hand grip red dot sight and what not (not right away but with time). what i want to know is who makes the best sks for the money and am i better off buying one that already has synthetic furniture or just getting one with wood furniture and adding tapco furniture to it latter on. im on a tight budget so im pretty much just looking for a stock sks but one that has more than a 6 round haha.

i want this gun sport shooting but be able to use to defend my family if needed (keep in my mind i already have a s&w .357,.38,and my old school cop 12 gauge always in arms reach but looking for something with range to it).
Just to clarify, an SKS is not an assault rifle. Assault rifles by definition must be full auto.

I second the Russian or Chinese option.

If you get one with a wood stock PM me if you want to sell the stock, I have a folder on mine and hate it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member - NRA, NAGR

Old 01-01-2013, 02:42 PM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Haha sorry nosaj good point better chose my words wisely

Old 01-02-2013, 11:17 PM   #8

The SKS is one rifle that goes to the range with me most often as it is fun to shoot --- I also load lead g/c boolets for it --- shooting milatary ammo also

Old 01-05-2013, 03:12 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2688 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

IMHO the main reason th change out the stocks is length of pull. SKS stocks are way too short for me. Keep in mind if you put a high cap detachable mag, a collapsible stock and pistol grip, you are now in 922R territory. With three "evil" features you cannot have more than 10 imported parts. As long as the stock and mag are US made, you are ok under federal law, but you could get crossways with some states.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-05-2013, 08:35 PM   #10

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would only get either a Russian or Chinese. Russian SKS's are getting harder to find but the Chinese Norinco type 56 SKS rifles are easier to find. Both are well made rifles. But if you ever happen to find a Chinese Norinco MC-5D then that would be the best choice of them all. It's a shorter SKS rifle that doesn't have a bayonet but it uses AK-47 mags.