My new baby
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > My new baby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2008, 05:19 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Default My new baby

After 12 years of being an owner of a SKS and after debating between an AR and an AK I finally made the leap. I bought an AK from Shooter's Wholesale. If you've been looking, it's the one called a Black Widow on a lot of the guns for sale boards. It came with a Tapco collapsible stock and I upgraded it with a Tapco trigger and adjustable front grip with a pressure switch. I will probably get some sort of red dot scope for it and I'm definitely going with a Mamba sling.

I took it out the other day and at about 50 yards freehand, rapid fire was pretty impressed with it. Let's just say that I wouldn't want to be on the bad end of it. Once I get something other than a 30 round mag, I will be able to give a better idea of what it can do.

ak.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-10-2008, 05:21 AM   #2

looks really good. congratz

Old 07-10-2008, 12:50 PM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Nice gun! Now if you want accuracy, take another leap and buy a bull-barreled AR! You'll never look back! I have a .40 HiPoint carbine that shoots under 2" at 50 yds. off hand. My .223 AR shoots 1/2" at 100 yds. It made all my other guns "obsolete".
My .308 AR is much worse - it only shoots 1" at 100yds., but it only has an 18" barrel. AK's are fun guns and cheap to shoot.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 07-10-2008 at 12:53 PM.

Old 07-10-2008, 03:48 PM   #4

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

I spent 6 years in the Army so I'm very familiar with the AR platform, and I just couldn't justify buying one. Yeah, it's more accurate, but the AK is plenty for what I would need in the situation where I would really need it. If it ever gets to the point to where I really need my AK, those 1/2" groups from a bench won't make much difference. I've got other guns that fill the tack driver slot. I'm not saying that I don't like AR's, the AK just seems like a smarter buy to me for what I want.

Old 07-10-2008, 04:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck View Post
After 12 years of being an owner of a SKS and after debating between an AR and an AK I finally made the leap. I bought an AK from Shooter's Wholesale. If you've been looking, it's the one called a Black Widow on a lot of the guns for sale boards. It came with a Tapco collapsible stock and I upgraded it with a Tapco trigger and adjustable front grip with a pressure switch. I will probably get some sort of red dot scope for it and I'm definitely going with a Mamba sling.

I took it out the other day and at about 50 yards freehand, rapid fire was pretty impressed with it. Let's just say that I wouldn't want to be on the bad end of it. Once I get something other than a 30 round mag, I will be able to give a better idea of what it can do.

May I ask how much you paid for it? I have an SKS but I have been wanting an AK. Also do you have a link to their website? Thanks,

John

Old 07-10-2008, 10:10 PM   #6

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Total was $603 with shipping and all of the upgrades. It sounds like a lot for an AK, but when you consider the cost of upgrades it works out pretty well. The guy's name is Gerry Sweet. He doesn't have a website, but you can find his ads on GunsInternational.com and a lot of other sites. I can also give you his phone number and email if you want it.

Old 07-11-2008, 03:16 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Nice looking gun even with the stuff on it, I like my AK's stock. I got AR's but the AK will always be my fav.

Old 07-12-2008, 06:16 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Sweet AK. I like it.

Tom :D

Old 07-13-2008, 12:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck View Post

Looks like a nice AK, I think wood looks better on AKs just my opinion though.

Old 07-14-2008, 01:42 AM   #10

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Righteous View Post
Nice looking gun even with the stuff on it, I like my AK's stock. I got AR's but the AK will always be my fav.
I like the wood ones too, but the synthetic has it's advantages.