Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AK & SKS Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   My new baby (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/my-new-baby-5503/)

Duck 07-10-2008 06:19 AM

My new baby

1 Attachment(s)
After 12 years of being an owner of a SKS and after debating between an AR and an AK I finally made the leap. I bought an AK from Shooter's Wholesale. If you've been looking, it's the one called a Black Widow on a lot of the guns for sale boards. It came with a Tapco collapsible stock and I upgraded it with a Tapco trigger and adjustable front grip with a pressure switch. I will probably get some sort of red dot scope for it and I'm definitely going with a Mamba sling.

I took it out the other day and at about 50 yards freehand, rapid fire was pretty impressed with it. Let's just say that I wouldn't want to be on the bad end of it. Once I get something other than a 30 round mag, I will be able to give a better idea of what it can do.

Braeden 07-10-2008 06:21 AM

looks really good. congratz

RL357Mag 07-10-2008 01:50 PM

Nice gun! Now if you want accuracy, take another leap and buy a bull-barreled AR! You'll never look back! I have a .40 HiPoint carbine that shoots under 2" at 50 yds. off hand. My .223 AR shoots 1/2" at 100 yds. It made all my other guns "obsolete".
My .308 AR is much worse - it only shoots 1" at 100yds., but it only has an 18" barrel. AK's are fun guns and cheap to shoot.

Duck 07-10-2008 04:48 PM

I spent 6 years in the Army so I'm very familiar with the AR platform, and I just couldn't justify buying one. Yeah, it's more accurate, but the AK is plenty for what I would need in the situation where I would really need it. If it ever gets to the point to where I really need my AK, those 1/2" groups from a bench won't make much difference. I've got other guns that fill the tack driver slot. I'm not saying that I don't like AR's, the AK just seems like a smarter buy to me for what I want.

iloveguns 07-10-2008 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duck (Post 31215)
After 12 years of being an owner of a SKS and after debating between an AR and an AK I finally made the leap. I bought an AK from Shooter's Wholesale. If you've been looking, it's the one called a Black Widow on a lot of the guns for sale boards. It came with a Tapco collapsible stock and I upgraded it with a Tapco trigger and adjustable front grip with a pressure switch. I will probably get some sort of red dot scope for it and I'm definitely going with a Mamba sling.

I took it out the other day and at about 50 yards freehand, rapid fire was pretty impressed with it. Let's just say that I wouldn't want to be on the bad end of it. Once I get something other than a 30 round mag, I will be able to give a better idea of what it can do.

May I ask how much you paid for it? I have an SKS but I have been wanting an AK. Also do you have a link to their website? Thanks,

John

Duck 07-10-2008 11:10 PM

Total was $603 with shipping and all of the upgrades. It sounds like a lot for an AK, but when you consider the cost of upgrades it works out pretty well. The guy's name is Gerry Sweet. He doesn't have a website, but you can find his ads on GunsInternational.com and a lot of other sites. I can also give you his phone number and email if you want it.

Righteous 07-11-2008 04:16 AM

Nice looking gun even with the stuff on it, I like my AK's stock. I got AR's but the AK will always be my fav.

Tom the roofer 07-12-2008 07:16 AM

Sweet AK. I like it. :D

Ermac 07-13-2008 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duck (Post 31215)

Looks like a nice AK, I think wood looks better on AKs just my opinion though.

Duck 07-14-2008 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Righteous (Post 31367)
Nice looking gun even with the stuff on it, I like my AK's stock. I got AR's but the AK will always be my fav.

I like the wood ones too, but the synthetic has it's advantages.