My midlife crisis... - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion >

My midlife crisis...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2012, 05:36 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

A little experience from todays range trip that we can use as a learning experience.

I spent about 8 hours at a private range today w/ the ARs, VZ, and AK. The AK has the MI micro RDS mount that replaces the rear sight. I used loc tite on all the fasteners, wait for it, but one. That set screw backed out and the RDS fell to the ground. SOB. The AK went back in its case. Lesson learned? 1.Make sure to loc tite everything. 2.Not all parts are made equal. Some don't need "to hell and back" worthy parts but sometimes not going that route can bring and abrupt end to whatever it is you're doing. You get what you pay for in most instances. Now I have to spend money to get the correct part which I should have done in the first place. It would have been cheaper.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:06 AM   #32

Liked 9212 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Look fluke, if it works for you and your happy with it, screw what everyone else says.
Nice rifle, nice add ons. Enjoy.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:13 AM   #33

Liked 69 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Look fluke, if it works for you and your happy with it, screw what everyone else says.
+1

You're going to get lots of different opinions here. A lot of them are going to conflict with one another. Spend some more time with your AK and go from there.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:52 AM   #34

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

So.. How old are you? I'm just curious, I'm 30 and I'm thinking I'm getting that itch too.
Have you scrolled through the ak/sks pic thread? If ya look at that you should get some good ideas.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:57 AM   #35

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Ohh yeah do what you wana do. I got all kinds a crap for throwing 350 at my sks but I love it even more now and its bad ass if ya ask me. I think I might even do a trigger job on it next.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:02 PM   #36

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
Op asked for suggestions, don't jump on our nuts when we give them, and state the reason why we recommend other products.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:10 PM   #37

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1158 View Post
So.. How old are you? I'm just curious, I'm 30 and I'm thinking I'm getting that itch too.
Have you scrolled through the ak/sks pic thread? If ya look at that you should get some good ideas.

Yes I did browse through the thread.

Ultimately I have decided that yes I do want a reflex and an STS tactical mag.

I've kind of decided to go this route thinking it would be the route I most wanted to go.

Reflex + laser at sub 50 meters/yards w/e you measure in (close range)

Ironsight and/or Tactical mag for medium to long.

My intention was to zero the laser at 25 m/yrds.

Zero the reflex at 50-75m/yrds

Zero the ironsight at 100m/yrds if it isn't already.

Zero the Tactical mag + reflex at 200-400m/yrds.

Just not sure how possible that would be. And I'm sure it'll be a fun learning experience to see if I can do that. I was also thinking I may need a mildot of sorts... but don't know if reflex can come with a mildot image.

Which is also why I specifically want quick detach tactical mag and reflex to revert back to ironsights as needed quickly and with as little issue as possible. I want versitility with the AK medium to long if I want to... but close range as well.

I will look in to the better rail mount at a later time but for now the UTG will suffice.

I realize at some point I'll eat the cost of the NC and UTG. But for the time being I think the UTG is a better choice over the NC top cover. Until I can look into the better side rail mounts.

Last edited by FlukeLSX; 06-24-2012 at 12:16 PM.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:27 PM   #38

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 8

There is a proper way to zero the AK sites, I would suggest reading this article
http://www.ak-47.net/ak-47/sightingin.php

Optic at a 50 yard zero is a good set up, that's how I run mine also.

Honestly, the laser I wouldn't bother with, even at 25 yards unless it at night, you most likely won't be able to see it.

I have no idea what you are talking about when you refer to a "tactical mag".

Have you already bought your optic?

Old 06-24-2012, 12:47 PM   #39

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSCRS View Post
There is a proper way to zero the AK sites, I would suggest reading this article
http://www.ak-47.net/ak-47/sightingin.php

Optic at a 50 yard zero is a good set up, that's how I run mine also.

Honestly, the laser I wouldn't bother with, even at 25 yards unless it at night, you most likely won't be able to see it.

I have no idea what you are talking about when you refer to a "tactical mag".

Have you already bought your optic?
Sightmark 5x tactical Magnifier

It is but isn't a scope and works cowitness with a reflex sight.

No I haven't bought any optics yet as I said I want to learn to use ironsights consistantly before I moved to that.

I want a laser for a specific reason that has to do with close range. Sighting a laser at 25 yards while the reflex at 50 yards means I'll see 2 dots on the reflex (unless someone knows of a reflex with a mildot image then I don't need the laser)

It's to gauge distance of a target within 50 yards if it is random.

When I shot the AK recently 75-100m zero'd ironsight is rediculously unpredictable at 25 yards there's nearly no way for it to be practical at close range without "knowing" your gun first. That is the purpose of the laser, while the reflex takes care of slightly longer range (rather i see the laser or not is irrelivant but if I do see it judging distance is quick and easy).

It's entirely based on how far away I can actually see the laser compared to the reflex.

Last edited by FlukeLSX; 06-24-2012 at 12:55 PM.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:20 PM   #40

Liked 9212 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSCRS

Op asked for suggestions, don't jump on our nuts when we give them, and state the reason why we recommend other products.
No one's jumping on your nuts, quite frankly I want nothing at all to do with anyone's nuts but my own. They itch, I scratch. YOUR nuts could fall off and roll down a storm drain for all I care.

OP was getting bashed for putting stuff on that OTHER people didn't like. I encouraged him to do what makes him happy.

I said absolutely nothing TO, or ABOUT you, so kiss my ass and back off, bub.

He can listen to your suggestions, follow your advice, what the hell ever. I just pointed out that it's his rifle, his toy, and his opinion that matters most.

Again, I didn't say the first fu˘king thing about you, or crawl up your a$$ in any way, shape, form, or fashion, so how about you get off MY nuts? Unless you wanna catch that little itch slightly left of center?