My midlife crisis... - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > My midlife crisis...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2012, 01:21 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Not to mention I bought a surplus Polish buttstock cleaning kit that I found out yesterday I didn't even need.

I had purchased a surplus AK47 cleaning rod... and the only thing I needed from the cleaning kit was the stupid brush (not including cleaning supplies) which screws on top of the cleaning rod with ease.

It would be of benefit if people could post Manufacturer names of products and/or review links for said products so I can learn and not make haistey decisions.

All total I've spent about $1100 on this gun so far including the redudency money I spent which I learned about after the fact.

Last edited by FlukeLSX; 06-22-2012 at 01:31 PM.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:34 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 218 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I have the UTG and it works great. So far it holds zero for 500 rounds including taking it offs when i clean my AK. Some people have unfortunate with UTG, but to me it worked and an inexpensive add on.
This is just my opinion, you might have to do some research for your final decision on which rail you will be getting.

732430406_10150722289450407.jpg  

Old 06-22-2012, 01:34 PM   #23
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1990 Times on 1078 Posts
Likes Given: 593

Just so you know, you never really get over the mid life crises. It keeps on extending until it turns into a bucket list.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 06-22-2012, 01:35 PM   #24

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Just so you know, you never really get over the mid life crises. It keeps on extending until it turns into a bucket list.
Some how that isn't very comforting.

I can barely afford my online gaming addiction now I have a new one.

Upgrade PC or Buy more eye candy for the AK.... hmmm

Tough choice.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:40 PM   #25

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Can someone please suggest a side rail mount that can house a reflex + tactical mag?

I know it would work with the top cover, but per the community I put the top cover aside and opt'd for a side rail... which another person says can't "cowhitness" which indicates to me. "No you cannot use a reflex + tactical mag with a side rail mount."

Is that information correct as I understand it?

I'm at the point of no return right now... $1100 in... so another $900 matters little to me at this point.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:59 PM   #26

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlukeLSX
I am trying to listen to you guys when you give suggestions.... The one person said top cover sux... so I got a side rail mount.

People saying UTG and NC suck... so now I don't even know if my Leapers is any good.

I didn't pay much for it, but this would make the 2nd railmount that becomes a paper weight.

Which is it?

Editted: Just realized UTG and Leapers same thing. :x

Fluke, I recommended two places to look. The best of the ruskie ones is the bp-2 or ruskus.

My advice to you is do a little research before plopping down the dough brother. There's lots of airsoft quality parts out there trying to pass as weapon grade.

Pm me and I'd be glad to help you pick a specific optic / mount that wont break the bank.

You bought a great Rifle to start with, just need to swap a few parts to make it solid.

Last edited by SSCRS; 06-22-2012 at 03:19 PM.
FlukeLSX Likes This 
Old 06-22-2012, 03:44 PM   #27

Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlukeLSX View Post
I am trying to listen to you guys when you give suggestions.... The one person said top cover sux... so I got a side rail mount.

People saying UTG and NC suck... so now I don't even know if my Leapers is any good.

I didn't pay much for it, but this would make the 2nd railmount that becomes a paper weight.

Which is it?

Editted: Just realized UTG and Leapers same thing. :x
No offense to anyone who posted broad & sweeping remarks concerning UTG "parts". I do not have any experience with any wide array of UTG parts.

What I do have is extensive experience with the one part that I recommended. The UTG/Leapers side mounted scope mount. You made a great choice for what you are wanting to use the gun for. I have mounted the scope and zero'd it - once. I have fired in excess of 1000 rounds down the pipe and never have to touch the scope again. I have removed the UTG mount numerous times to clean the rifle and it is on the side rails so tightly that I have to drive it off with a rubber mallet and then drive it back on the same way. Again, after doing this multiple times the scope has held zero. My 12 year old son used the gun from a freehand standing stance detonated a 1/2 lb (smallest made) cannister of Tannerite at 100yards.

I am sorry but I cannot ask for any better performance from this scope mount. I stand behind what I said earlier.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:58 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartwatkins

No offense to anyone who posted broad & sweeping remarks concerning UTG "parts". I do not have any experience with any wide array of UTG parts.

What I do have is extensive experience with the one part that I recommended. The UTG/Leapers side mounted scope mount. You made a great choice for what you are wanting to use the gun for. I have mounted the scope and zero'd it - once. I have fired in excess of 1000 rounds down the pipe and never have to touch the scope again. I have removed the UTG mount numerous times to clean the rifle and it is on the side rails so tightly that I have to drive it off with a rubber mallet and then drive it back on the same way. Again, after doing this multiple times the scope has held zero. My 12 year old son used the gun from a freehand standing stance detonated a 1/2 lb (smallest made) cannister of Tannerite at 100yards.

I am sorry but I cannot ask for any better performance from this scope mount. I stand behind what I said earlier.
You have 1k down with it on, I had over 5k down with mine. Does that mean I have more experience? Point is it's a very high mount, that's made of a cheap material. Towards the end of use for me I was consetently needing to tighten the mount or it would shift between use. I could have lived with it, but instead I replaced it with a better quality US made part.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:20 PM   #29

Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSCRS View Post
You have 1k down with it on, I had over 5k down with mine. Does that mean I have more experience? Point is it's a very high mount, that's made of a cheap material. Towards the end of use for me I was consetently needing to tighten the mount or it would shift between use. I could have lived with it, but instead I replaced it with a better quality US made part.
The "point" is that you dislike the part and I like the part.
That is all. I can agree to disagree, can you?
If the other part works great for you, that is fine by me.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:52 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartwatkins

The "point" is that you dislike the part and I like the part.
That is all. I can agree to disagree, can you?
If the other part works great for you, that is fine by me.
I'm not trying to get in a pissing match here. You post your experience, I posted mine with a significantly higher round count. I used mine in 3 gun and rifle matches so it was beat up decently, and the mount did not hold up. Depending on the op's use, the utg may be fine if its living on a bench or static line. If he wants to run it harder, myself and Mike are recommending parts that are built for it.