Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > My first AK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2012, 04:53 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfafan

Not a guru, but "unconverted" means it is a direct replacement for the factory forward handguard. Some folks do conversion work on the front end so as to use standard AKM handguard sets. It completes the whole look.

If you DO get the MI set, keep me in mind with a PM as I'll buy that "ventilated" factory handguard off of you, as I'm keeping my SAIGA unconverted unless I can trade it away for an U/Folder AK.
So it'll fit mine?

Old 09-28-2012, 11:38 AM   #12

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagNasty1001 View Post
So it'll fit mine?
Yes. A SAIGA front-end conversion uses a standard AKM upper tube with the tack-welded upper handguard brackets, while the lower HG requires the use of a standard lower-HG bracket. You can see that this is a non-trivial job to R&R the gas block and FSBs to swap it out. OR - you can use one of the new, 2-piece lower HG brackets that go together with screws around the barrel.
I have enough AKs I just want to keep the "rifle feel" of a SAIGA just as it is.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:29 PM   #13

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfafan

Yes. A SAIGA front-end conversion uses a standard AKM upper tube with the tack-welded upper handguard brackets, while the lower HG requires the use of a standard lower-HG bracket. You can see that this is a non-trivial job to R&R the gas block and FSBs to swap it out. OR - you can use one of the new, 2-piece lower HG brackets that go together with screws around the barrel.
I have enough AKs I just want to keep the "rifle feel" of a SAIGA just as it is.
Awesome, just the news I was looking for. I'll be sure to order it on my next paycheck