Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > My $200 chinaman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2010, 01:50 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default My $200 chinaman

Buddy at work dropped way too much on a R-25 308 so he was looking to get some cash back quick. He said he had an AK in .223 he wanted to sell me. I figured he was going to try to ream me to make back a buck but he said $200.

I have no clue what the heck this thing was but I figured I couldnt mess up at $200.

Its a Norinco BWK 92 sporter. It came with a wood thumbhole stock that looked like a spiderweb it was cracked so much. It had a clean action and shiny bore but only 1 mag. It felt amazingly sturdy and tight so I got it.

I decided to drop on a UTG front grip with quad rails, a 6 pos stock and a folding front grip. I also dabbled with a lil urban fish-scale paint sceme and it looks decent. It is amazingly accurate with iron sights. I was knocking out pop cans at 75 yards. I had not expected that from this lil thing. I threw 200 rounds through it and it peformed galantly.I cant find mags to save my ass though, it sucks. I am going to throw on a tapco folder instead, looks cleaner to me.

My main question... is how much is this thing worth (minus the goofy paintjob)

As it was bought

After the new furniture

And with the paint

WCU Rugby!

Lucky Taurus Owner... 3 out of 3! PT1911/ PT92F/ 44 Raging Bull

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-03-2010, 02:25 AM   #2

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 760

no you didnt get hurt at all with your purchase....i bought one of these very accurate(for an ak-type rifle) back in 1995...235.00 brand new out the door...came with 2 20rd mags 1 10rd mag and 1 5rd mag...i got lucky when a buddy of mine had two 30rd mags i bought from him and the only other place i can find 223 mags for this gun is APEX Gun parts ...used to have them but they are now sold out...they where 50bucks each...might be able to mod a 7.62x39 mag to work?i have seen some of these rifles go for 500+ at some places of course being a norinco they are some what of collector item now,of course its not original now so as long as ya keep all org. parts and can get all the paint off:/ norinco did do a good blueing job on these rifles...shouldnt painted it!but its yours,do as you may...i've done worse & seen alot worse.....good luck with your mag search...

Last edited by m72law; 01-03-2010 at 02:30 AM.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:28 AM   #3

i saw one at a small shop in platte city mo. for $300 this was about a year or so ago

Old 01-03-2010, 02:38 AM   #4

& another thing....check to see if your norinco has a fullauto disconnector in it....i dont know if it makes it a machine gun or not (if it has)?...but mine did and i removed it, and replaced it with another (ground off tail) disconnector...it has been said that this is why USA doesnt import norinco firearms anymore...because some guns they made had so-called machine gun parts in them?....i dont know how much truth that is but i have red and heard about it a few times...someone here knows more about this then me...so maybe theyll chime in...stay safe,keep it legal

Old 04-12-2010, 03:56 PM   #5

chinaman is not the perfered nomenclature dude

Old 04-12-2010, 08:45 PM   #6

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by m72law View Post
& another thing....check to see if your norinco has a fullauto disconnector in it....i dont know if it makes it a machine gun or not (if it has)?...but mine did and i removed it, and replaced it with another (ground off tail) disconnector...it has been said that this is why USA doesnt import norinco firearms anymore...because some guns they made had so-called machine gun parts in them?....i dont know how much truth that is but i have red and heard about it a few times...someone here knows more about this then me...so maybe theyll chime in...stay safe,keep it legal
Full Auto disconnector?. I think what you are referring to is some MAK-90 receivers were imported with the "third hole" for the auto sear. Norinco sent these in to a few importers with a pin installed in the hole thinking they would be legal. A few rifles made it into private hands before the issue was resolved. The ATF put a stop to that. Go to ar15.com in the AK discussion section there is a sticky which will explain.

As to the OP, a great buy on your MAK-but as previously stated, original .223 Chinese mags are scarce.

As far as the furniture and the paint, well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I am suprised that the question hasn't come up. since you changed the thumbhole stock to a pistol grip configuration, if your rifle is 922r compliant. You can change the rifle over to a traditional AK configuration, but, you must have the correct number of US made parts to be legal with BATF. Check it out.

regards

Steve

Old 04-12-2010, 08:54 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2263 Times on 1188 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Well, you have now created yourself an interesting little problem. You have an illegal imported high capacity semi-automatic rifle. To get yourself back into compliance (under section 922r) you will have to replace some parts with US made parts so you do not have anymore than 10 imported parts.

The following are the "countable parts" on an AK

(1) Receiver
(2) Barrel
(3) Trunnion
(4) Muzzle attachments(flash hiders, brakes, barrel extensions, barrel nuts)
(5) Bolt
(6) Bolt carrier
(7) Gas piston
(8) Trigger
(9) Hammer
(10) Disconnecter
(11) Buttstock
(12) Pistol grip
(13) Forearm handguards
(14) Magazine body
(15) Follower
(16) Floorplate

You likely have 13 imported parts on this rifle (the first 10 + the magazine components). A US made mag will fix your situation, but I do not know of any US made .223 AK mags.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 04-12-2010, 10:47 PM   #8
Deader Bears=Better Bears
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5658 Times on 3326 Posts
Likes Given: 4788

AK 47/Mak 90 Cal 5.56X45(223rem) NIB AK47 : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com
Here is one on auction, maybe you could watch how that goes to see an approximate value.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Old 04-13-2010, 12:08 AM   #9

traded this thing off for a kayak a month ago... glad to see it gone, haha.

WCU Rugby!

Lucky Taurus Owner... 3 out of 3! PT1911/ PT92F/ 44 Raging Bull

Old 04-13-2010, 01:51 AM   #10

no...im talking about the disconnetor...the one that came in my bwk-92sporter looked like the one in the picture....

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockett007 View Post
Full Auto disconnector?. I think what you are referring to is some MAK-90 receivers were imported with the "third hole" for the auto sear. Norinco sent these in to a few importers with a pin installed in the hole thinking they would be legal. A few rifles made it into private hands before the issue was resolved. The ATF put a stop to that. Go to ar15.com in the AK discussion section there is a sticky which will explain.

As to the OP, a great buy on your MAK-but as previously stated, original .223 Chinese mags are scarce.

As far as the furniture and the paint, well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I am suprised that the question hasn't come up. since you changed the thumbhole stock to a pistol grip configuration, if your rifle is 922r compliant. You can change the rifle over to a traditional AK configuration, but, you must have the correct number of US made parts to be legal with BATF. Check it out.

regards

Steve