Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AK & SKS Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   My $200 chinaman (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/my-200-chinaman-21763/)

Zacsquatch 01-03-2010 01:50 AM

My $200 chinaman

Buddy at work dropped way too much on a R-25 308 so he was looking to get some cash back quick. He said he had an AK in .223 he wanted to sell me. I figured he was going to try to ream me to make back a buck but he said $200.

I have no clue what the heck this thing was but I figured I couldnt mess up at $200.

Its a Norinco BWK 92 sporter. It came with a wood thumbhole stock that looked like a spiderweb it was cracked so much. It had a clean action and shiny bore but only 1 mag. It felt amazingly sturdy and tight so I got it.

I decided to drop on a UTG front grip with quad rails, a 6 pos stock and a folding front grip. I also dabbled with a lil urban fish-scale paint sceme and it looks decent. It is amazingly accurate with iron sights. I was knocking out pop cans at 75 yards. I had not expected that from this lil thing. I threw 200 rounds through it and it peformed galantly.I cant find mags to save my ass though, it sucks. I am going to throw on a tapco folder instead, looks cleaner to me.

My main question... is how much is this thing worth (minus the goofy paintjob)

As it was bought
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...quatch/ak0.jpg
After the new furniture
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...squatch/ak.jpg
And with the paint
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...atch/cetme.jpg
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...quatch/sig.jpg

m72law 01-03-2010 02:25 AM

no you didnt get hurt at all with your purchase....i bought one of these very accurate(for an ak-type rifle) back in 1995...235.00 brand new out the door...came with 2 20rd mags 1 10rd mag and 1 5rd mag...i got lucky when a buddy of mine had two 30rd mags i bought from him and the only other place i can find 223 mags for this gun is APEX Gun parts ...used to have them but they are now sold out...they where 50bucks each...might be able to mod a 7.62x39 mag to work?i have seen some of these rifles go for 500+ at some places of course being a norinco they are some what of collector item now,of course its not original now so as long as ya keep all org. parts and can get all the paint off:/ norinco did do a good blueing job on these rifles...shouldnt painted it!but its yours,do as you may...i've done worse & seen alot worse.....good luck with your mag search...:D

therealtom88 01-03-2010 02:28 AM

i saw one at a small shop in platte city mo. for $300 this was about a year or so ago

m72law 01-03-2010 02:38 AM

& another thing....check to see if your norinco has a fullauto disconnector in it....i dont know if it makes it a machine gun or not (if it has)?...but mine did and i removed it, and replaced it with another (ground off tail) disconnector...it has been said that this is why USA doesnt import norinco firearms anymore...because some guns they made had so-called machine gun parts in them?....i dont know how much truth that is but i have red and heard about it a few times...someone here knows more about this then me...so maybe theyll chime in...stay safe,keep it legal:)

Leavingplatoscomphycave 04-12-2010 03:56 PM

chinaman is not the perfered nomenclature dude

crockett007 04-12-2010 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m72law (Post 207623)
& another thing....check to see if your norinco has a fullauto disconnector in it....i dont know if it makes it a machine gun or not (if it has)?...but mine did and i removed it, and replaced it with another (ground off tail) disconnector...it has been said that this is why USA doesnt import norinco firearms anymore...because some guns they made had so-called machine gun parts in them?....i dont know how much truth that is but i have red and heard about it a few times...someone here knows more about this then me...so maybe theyll chime in...stay safe,keep it legal:)

Full Auto disconnector?:eek:. I think what you are referring to is some MAK-90 receivers were imported with the "third hole" for the auto sear. Norinco sent these in to a few importers with a pin installed in the hole thinking they would be legal. A few rifles made it into private hands before the issue was resolved. The ATF put a stop to that. Go to ar15.com in the AK discussion section there is a sticky which will explain.

As to the OP, a great buy on your MAK-but as previously stated, original .223 Chinese mags are scarce.

As far as the furniture and the paint, well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I am suprised that the question hasn't come up. since you changed the thumbhole stock to a pistol grip configuration, if your rifle is 922r compliant. You can change the rifle over to a traditional AK configuration, but, you must have the correct number of US made parts to be legal with BATF. Check it out.

regards

Steve

robocop10mm 04-12-2010 08:54 PM

Well, you have now created yourself an interesting little problem. You have an illegal imported high capacity semi-automatic rifle. To get yourself back into compliance (under section 922r) you will have to replace some parts with US made parts so you do not have anymore than 10 imported parts.

The following are the "countable parts" on an AK

(1) Receiver
(2) Barrel
(3) Trunnion
(4) Muzzle attachments(flash hiders, brakes, barrel extensions, barrel nuts)
(5) Bolt
(6) Bolt carrier
(7) Gas piston
(8) Trigger
(9) Hammer
(10) Disconnecter
(11) Buttstock
(12) Pistol grip
(13) Forearm handguards
(14) Magazine body
(15) Follower
(16) Floorplate

You likely have 13 imported parts on this rifle (the first 10 + the magazine components). A US made mag will fix your situation, but I do not know of any US made .223 AK mags.

orangello 04-12-2010 10:47 PM

AK 47/Mak 90 Cal 5.56X45(223rem) NIB AK47 : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com
Here is one on auction, maybe you could watch how that goes to see an approximate value.

Zacsquatch 04-13-2010 12:08 AM

traded this thing off for a kayak a month ago... glad to see it gone, haha.

m72law 04-13-2010 01:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
no...im talking about the disconnetor...the one that came in my bwk-92sporter looked like the one in the picture....
Quote:

Originally Posted by crockett007 (Post 268890)
Full Auto disconnector?:eek:. I think what you are referring to is some MAK-90 receivers were imported with the "third hole" for the auto sear. Norinco sent these in to a few importers with a pin installed in the hole thinking they would be legal. A few rifles made it into private hands before the issue was resolved. The ATF put a stop to that. Go to ar15.com in the AK discussion section there is a sticky which will explain.

As to the OP, a great buy on your MAK-but as previously stated, original .223 Chinese mags are scarce.

As far as the furniture and the paint, well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I am suprised that the question hasn't come up. since you changed the thumbhole stock to a pistol grip configuration, if your rifle is 922r compliant. You can change the rifle over to a traditional AK configuration, but, you must have the correct number of US made parts to be legal with BATF. Check it out.

regards

Steve