Money Pit. - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion >

Money Pit.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2009, 06:29 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afi1 View Post
Here's what I got at 100yds. sort of propped against a 4in.x4in. swing set. I also can't keep consistent sight picture because my adjustable cheek piece hasn't come in. I don't have much to compare it to, aside from my AR; and it doesn't stack up well. Is this normal for AK type rifles?
That's pretty normal shooting for an 7.62 AK, a little better with some and a little worse with others, I still see a dead ______________.

Feel free to fill in the blank with what you wish.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 12-26-2009, 12:48 PM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I was using some Wolf ball ammo. And I almost always shoot proped against a tree or the hood of the truck; something. I don't like training myself to always shoot lying down, or in a rest of some sort. I shoot the same positions with my Model 70 and my AR and get groups just as good as from a sandbag. I think it's mostly the low stock and high optic, and my inability to maintain proper and consistant cheek weild/sight picture. It could be the trigger too I guess. I like the way it feels, and the pull is good. I just probably need to get used to it over my other rifles. I also tried the iron sights, and frankly; they suck. I can't see jack beyond 30yds. or so, and the sight radius is so short. I had to send my Beryl type rail back because it was machined slightly out of spec. When I get another I may mount a flip up AR style rear sight and try that too.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:52 PM   #13

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Just remember that the AK was designed to be cheap to produce and extremely reliable. Accuracy was intended to be "good enough" for the situations the Russians encountered in WWII. Don't expect your AK to shoot like an AR, even with all the bells and whistles you put on it.

The AK47 is a beautiful thing. Sometimes less is more.

Old 12-27-2009, 01:05 PM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ah, no doubt. I don't expect it to shoot like the AR. I was just asking if it was a normal spread. The only other rifle I have to compair it to would be my friends SKS. But the one he has will almost shoot in circles. On a positive note, there were no feed issues at all. The only problem I had was with one of the TAPCO mags, but ended up not being a problem at all. My wife found out that you could cram an extra round into the mag, but it pushed it out slightly so it wouldn't fit in the mag well. The stock works nicely. My 5'6 wife can shoot the rifle comfortably now. Where as before, she struggled with the length. And I preffer it fully collapsed. It makes it much easier to handle for tactical drills. The buffer works well too. I took it out to see how it would cycle. After 5 rounds I put it back in. The action is so violent without. My favorite addition would have to be the grip though. I don't see how the regular grip made it into production. It's too thin, and akward shaped. With the new grip, I can get a good sure grip on the rifle; it just feels right. I'll run some Winchester ball through her and see if that helps. I'll also try and shoot from a real rest, maybe prone with a bag or two. Thanks for the input.

Old 12-31-2009, 09:47 PM   #15

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Right on brother. Have fun shooting and let us know how it goes!

Old 01-26-2010, 03:52 PM   #16

Default That's not bad...

Quote:
Here's what I got at 100yds. sort of proped against a 4in.x4in. swingset. I also can't keep consistant sight picture because my adjustable cheek piece hasn't come in. I don't have much to compair it to, aside from my AR; and it doesn't stack up well. Is this normal for AK type rifles?
That's pretty darn good free handing it. I can print consistant 3" groups from 100 yds but only w/ a sandbag or rest. Also my eyes suck so I need a scope. When I try the iron sights the front one pretty much covered the whole bulls eye area at 100 yds. So how accurate could I really be? That said, I'm very happy (and the BG's very sad) with 3" groups.

Capt Jim

Old 01-28-2010, 01:24 AM   #17

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Here's what I got at 100yds. sort of proped against a 4in.x4in. swingset. I also can't keep consistant sight picture because my adjustable cheek piece hasn't come in. I don't have much to compair it to, aside from my AR; and it doesn't stack up well. Is this normal for AK type rifles?
Yeah thats why I got an S12 shotgun....similar paterns...lol
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 01-28-2010, 07:48 PM   #18

Liked 30 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
I was using some Wolf ball ammo. And I almost always shoot proped against a tree or the hood of the truck; something. I don't like training myself to always shoot lying down, or in a rest of some sort. I shoot the same positions with my Model 70 and my AR and get groups just as good as from a sandbag. I think it's mostly the low stock and high optic, and my inability to maintain proper and consistant cheek weild/sight picture. It could be the trigger too I guess. I like the way it feels, and the pull is good. I just probably need to get used to it over my other rifles. I also tried the iron sights, and frankly; they suck. I can't see jack beyond 30yds. or so, and the sight radius is so short. I had to send my Beryl type rail back because it was machined slightly out of spec. When I get another I may mount a flip up AR style rear sight and try that too.
I've got a Norinco MAK (debanned).

Your target looks atypical. I did a couple of things to improve my 100yd performance. First, I switched to the Wolf hollow point ammo, shoots way tighter in my rifle. Second, got rid of the red dot and went to the peeps. Purchased the set up from techsights.com:

Money Pit. - AK & SKS Discussion

This was my previous set up with the Red dot.

The dot covered up the bull @ 100 yds., so I actually shoot better with the irons.

With my military rifle training, I am more comfortable with the US style battle sight.

The Tech Sights set up is a little pricey, about $100. You get a new dustcover and RS recoil spring guide that dovetails into the receiver. I really love it. You must pop out the AK rear sight blade, this turns some people off.

Last edited by crockett007; 01-28-2010 at 07:51 PM.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:20 PM   #19

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Nice AK there. I am partial to them Chinese MAK 90 Norincos myself. Very reliable, well put together, no trigger slap and the receiver metal thickness is 1.6mm, more than other AK's at 1mm. Good choice of rifle Crockett.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 01-28-2010, 09:13 PM   #20

Liked 30 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
Nice AK there. I am partial to them Chinese MAK 90 Norincos myself. Very reliable, well put together, no trigger slap and the receiver metal thickness is 1.6mm, more than other AK's at 1mm. Good choice of rifle Crockett.

Jack
Thanks Jack,

Bought it new in '92 for $230 bucks, and it has ran like a raped ape ever since. Just recently put on the Ironwood furniture and the krink brake. I love my AR, but this is my SHTF weapon.

Cheers,
Steve