In the market for an AK - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > In the market for an AK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2013, 08:26 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1161 Times on 644 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Actually, I think they're working on a civilian version of the AN-94.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:14 AM   #22

Liked 2545 Times on 1452 Posts
Likes Given: 1976

What happened to me, OP, is I found

the SKS to be a better rifle, in build,

and for practical usage purposes.

I got two run of the mill rifles, of course.

For a milsurp, the SKS was almost

lovingly crafted. The AK was almost

carelessly assembled. The SKS is milled,

the AKM is stamped. The SKS is balanced,

but the AK is lighter. The SKS has a longer

sight radius. My AK, the coolest safe

queen ever.

I would hold out and get something with a milled

receiver. You only have to buy it once.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:35 PM   #23

Liked 2292 Times on 1345 Posts
Likes Given: 501

I no longer pay feel that there is much argument against the stamped receivers. There are Stamped AK-47 that have lived long hard lives in dung heaps around the globe, and survived worse abuse than most folks will dish out.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:17 AM   #24

Liked 247 Times on 169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post
Actually, I think they're working on a civilian version of the AN-94.
I would jump on that, the specs look very promising but who knows what the altered hand me downs will be like

Old 06-06-2013, 01:32 AM   #25

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

I have one of the century arms wasr 10's that everyone loves to hate. I can't comment on the entire ownership community, but in my experience its deserves to be called an AK. I've had the gun for about 3 years I've never so much as had a jam or a miss fire. I shoot the $6 steel rounds just like everyone else and it's performed exactly the way I expect it to.

I've shot it in under 30 degrees, I've shot it in 100 degrees, I've shot it bone dry, I've shot it lubricated, I've shot it clean, I've shot it dirty. It absolutely does not matter. The only complaint I have is the quality of the magazines. My
NJ legal single stack mags it accepts are brutal in the quality department. I've messed with them to the point that they work fine, but I had a lot of spring hang ups in the beginning.

Another issue I've heard is the canted front sights.. My sights are true, so I really can't comment on that either. May be that the criticism is over blown, or may be that you just have to be very critical when inspecting one before purchasing.

Old 06-06-2013, 03:52 AM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1161 Times on 644 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
I no longer pay feel that there is much argument against the stamped receivers. There are Stamped AK-47 that have lived long hard lives in dung heaps around the globe, and survived worse abuse than most folks will dish out.
There's really not an argument against stamped receivers, just a lot of misunderstanding of how Communist bloc rifle and carbine technology were designed to function.

Stamped receivers are plenty durable, just as accurate as milled receivers if the parts were properly assembled, and capable of withstanding abuse that would destroy an AR-15.

If anything, an improperly forged or heat treated milled receiver will have functional issues that affect durability and performance.

To me, the milled/forged/cast/stamped issue comes down to the suitability of the base metal for the manufacturing processes to be used and the quality of the heat treatment.

An improperly assembled or machined receiver is just that. It doesn't matter who made it or how many a particular manufacturer made properly.

No amount of forging technology can overcome a poor heat treatment or a steel selection unsuitable for forging. Process control is absolutely critical for forging.

Stamped receivers require process control for welding, riveting, and alignment of the riveted components.

Either way, you should always check alignment and function of the critical components or your AK may have issues.

Improper alignment of the front sight followed by trunnions seems to be the most common issue.

The front sight, trunnions, gas block, and barrel should all be aligned properly.

The bolt should slide freely in the carrier assembly and the carrier assembly should slide freely in the receiver.

The fire control components should be aligned such that the carrier rides directly over the top of the hammer. In other words, the wear mark on the hammer from contact with the carrier should be centered on the face of the hammer.

The generous tolerances for the bolt, carrier, and gas piston are not poor quality machining, they are intentional design features.

Basically, every AK is as much a product of the human hands that performed the individual assembly operations as it is the quality of the machining that produced the individual components. Therefore, any AK you purchase should be inspected to assure that the components are aligned correctly and function properly. For that matter, any carbine or rifle you bet your life on should be hand inspected.

Old 06-06-2013, 04:09 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post

If anything, an improperly forged or heat treated milled receiver will have functional issues that affect durability and performance.

To me, the milled/forged/cast/stamped issue comes down to the suitability of the base metal for the manufacturing processes to be used and the quality of the heat treatment.

An improperly assembled or machined receiver is just that. It doesn't matter who made it or how many a particular manufacturer made properly.

No amount of forging technology can overcome a poor heat treatment or a steel selection unsuitable for forging. Process control is absolutely critical for forging.
You got a badly forged, or sub-standard metal
receiver on an SKS? From where?

Old 06-06-2013, 04:42 AM   #28

Liked 2292 Times on 1345 Posts
Likes Given: 501

I don't think he said he got a bad milled receiver, just that stamped and milled receivers properly made are fine. Also, each have their own weaknesses in the manufacturing process. There were M1a, M1 Garand, and other milled receivers in the past that have suffered from heat treating problems, with stretching, cracking and warping as noted problems.

My intended point was that a properly designed and made stamped receiver is pretty durable. HK MP5, 91, 93, PPSh, M3, MP 40, AR180, Galil, are good examples if other quality stamped receiver based guns.

Last edited by SSGN_Doc; 06-06-2013 at 04:50 AM.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:45 AM   #29

Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts

I have an Egyptian Maadi imported by century arms. I don't believe it was assembled by CI.

It is a jam o matic with HP ammo. It seems to be ok with FMJ but I haven't put that many through it to be sure. The sights are way off and I don't have a good optic to put on it so it is a safe queen. I did put on a new trigger and folding stock which is nice.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:40 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
I don't think he said he got a bad milled receiver, just that stamped and milled receivers properly made are fine. Also, each have their own weaknesses in the manufacturing process. There were M1a, M1 Garand, and other milled receivers in the past that have suffered from heat treating problems, with stretching, cracking and warping as noted problems.

My intended point was that a properly designed and made stamped receiver is pretty durable. HK MP5, 91, 93, PPSh, M3, MP 40, AR180, Galil, are good examples if other quality stamped receiver based guns.
I'm sorry, the post seemed to infer the reliability of SKSs, generally, was in

question. The sad fact is that they are a less costly, and better made,

albeit less popular rifle than the AK. IF you stick to the

standard mags, IME, the shoot very reliably.