Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AK & SKS Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   making the jump to sks.. help on acc? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/making-jump-sks-help-acc-89701/)

combateffective4 04-28-2013 02:31 AM

making the jump to sks.. help on acc?

so im gonna pick up a sks for $399
i know things are more pricey then they used to be is that an ok price?
im not sure what kind it is.

i was thinking ATI strikeforce folder stock and a UTG quad rail
Are they compatable?

my main question is sight mounts.
ive heard the dust cover mounts arent really recomended
what are other ways of mounting sights near the rear of the rifle?
im not really wanting to drill and tap anything
am i sol?

towboater 04-28-2013 03:17 AM

The price is a little high for where I live.
My favorite accessory is the extended rubber butt pad. Actually its my only accessory.

kaido 04-28-2013 03:20 AM

That price is about $200.00 high. I'm in Canada and everything here is about $100.00 or so more expensive then it is for you guys down in the states and I only paid $130.00 for mine.

As far as mounting an optic, I think your stuck with the dust cover mount. I've also heard that Tech sights work pretty well too. Haven't tried them though

combateffective4 04-28-2013 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by towboater (Post 1229611)
The price is a little high for where I live.
My favorite accessory is the extended rubber butt pad. Actually its my only accessory.

I just can't find a better deal the local shops have them for around 450-500

combateffective4 04-28-2013 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaido (Post 1229615)
That price is about $200.00 high. I'm in Canada and everything here is about $100.00 or so more expensive then it is for you guys down in the states and I only paid $130.00 for mine.

As far as mounting an optic, I think your stuck with the dust cover mount. I've also heard that Tech sights work pretty well too. Haven't tried them though

Send me one! I wish. The market is insane right now in the states

That's the cheapest one I've found

Right now

kaido 04-28-2013 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combateffective4

Send me one! I wish. The market is insane right now in the states

That's the cheapest one I've found

Right now

Well....if you fill out and pay for the shipping, I will gladly send you one. I'd even pay for the rifle. Haha

SSGN_Doc 04-28-2013 03:29 AM

If you want to do all these mods, try to hold out and find one that someone else has already modified a bit. Sometimes they will be cheaper than some that are all original.

orangello 04-28-2013 03:45 AM

Around here, you can pick up a Chinese type 56 for about $300-350, if you know the right FFL.

I never found a scope mount that was satisfied with, but some people have been happy with the ones you described. It might be good enough for a red dot or something less geared toward long-range accuracy and more for easier target aquisition.

Honestly, i am confused by the folder stock + scope combo. To get much out of a scope, you need a decent cheek weld or ability to hold a steady position somehow; i can't imagine a folding stock being optimal for that.

kaido 04-28-2013 05:14 AM

I'm mot sure if its because the panic but that's insane. I got a Russian one made in 1953 with all matching numbers for half that.

combateffective4 04-28-2013 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaido (Post 1229760)
I'm mot sure if its because the panic but that's insane. I got a Russian one made in 1953 with all matching numbers for half that.

Well these are unissued apparently "like new" idk if that makes it more of value I'm new to 7.62 rifles I normally run ar type rifles