MAK 90 Muzzle Brake - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > MAK 90 Muzzle Brake

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2009, 05:18 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate2003 View Post
why does it look threaded BEHIND the front sight? I don't know much about chinese AK's, but I know my yugo isn't threaded behind the front sight...

Old 01-02-2009, 01:22 PM   #12

I think it's more common with the Norinco guns.. most just refer to them as machine markings rather the threads that could be used for anything.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:54 PM   #13

maybe I just just try one of those pin on muzzle break types...
here's a pic of one I'm thinking off

Old 01-02-2009, 04:12 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by janikphoto View Post
why does it look threaded BEHIND the front sight? I don't know much about chinese AK's, but I know my yugo isn't threaded behind the front sight...
It's just really rough machining. When the barrel was turned on a lathe, they had the tool feed speed set high. With it traveling that fast, you could probably turn out 3 barrels in the time you could turn out one that was machined smooth.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:44 PM   #15

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
It's just really rough machining. When the barrel was turned on a lathe, they had the tool feed speed set high. With it traveling that fast, you could probably turn out 3 barrels in the time you could turn out one that was machined smooth.
interesting... makes sense that the chinese would want to knock them out fast. But, i always heard that the chinese models were pretty well-built. At least better than the romies... These ways of cutting corners doesn't really support the quality claims, though.

And why do you want a muzzle brake? You gun is long enough to be legal as is, right?!? I heard that many of the AK brakes don't do much.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:55 PM   #16

I have little experience with the modifying of guns, just after this most recent rifle got me into it. It may not do that much improvement but I'm willing to accept whatever amount it would do.

not sure how well you can go by a video comparing brakes but here is one

Old 01-02-2009, 07:59 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
interesting... makes sense that the chinese would want to knock them out fast. But, i always heard that the chinese models were pretty well-built. At least better than the romies... These ways of cutting corners doesn't really support the quality claims, though.

And why do you want a muzzle brake? You gun is long enough to be legal as is, right?!? I heard that many of the AK brakes don't do much.
Really that area and it's machining quality has nothing to do with how well it'll function, it's just a fit and finish issue.

Under rapid fire or automatic fire, a muzzle break is essential on an AK. The muzzle on them climbs really bad. During full auto fire, you can lean into the rifle really hard and do all you can to pull the muzzle down, but it still climbs uncontrollably. It has to do with the design of the gas system, bolt and stock configuration.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Last edited by matt g; 01-02-2009 at 08:03 PM.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:14 PM   #18

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:

That's because a lot of flash hiders are sold as brakes. There's a big difference!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-02-2009, 11:47 PM   #19

uggg I just tried fitting a 75 round drum to my MAK90 and it doesn't fit/lock into place right.. goes in fine on my fathers MAK90.. and mine will take the 30 round clips all day long with ease..

a side note I just checked and the drum is made by none other then Norinco themselves.. what gives /facepalm

Last edited by Nate2003; 01-03-2009 at 12:05 AM.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:21 AM   #20

Default Did you resolve?

nate-

Did you get an answer? I have the same Mak90. I took a punch and backed out the two pins but the forward site won't budge.

Please let me know any suggestions or progress you might have made. Thansk!