mag release latch?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > mag release latch?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2008, 09:53 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default mag release latch?

I noticed a decent amount of play on my mags and drum. I can rock it back and forth, pivoting on the front catch of the mag/drum with up and down movement at the back (closest to the trigger).

I think I need to replace my mag latch with something a little longer. I know SOME play is good, but this is too much. Anyone know where I can get a longer mag latch that can be ground down to the correct height? Or maybe a better/different design latch?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-05-2008, 05:02 PM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Is this a WASR?

Old 08-07-2008, 01:43 AM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_sxt View Post
Is this a WASR?
no, it's a yugo rpk.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:19 AM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Is the play causing any issues with feeding? If it's not, I wouldn't worry about it. The AK is built with lots of room for error.

Additionally, I don't think you can just "replace" it without cutting the entire trigger guard off and re-riveting a new one on...

Old 08-07-2008, 07:14 AM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Is the play causing any issues with feeding? If it's not, I wouldn't worry about it. The AK is built with lots of room for error.

Additionally, I don't think you can just "replace" it without cutting the entire trigger guard off and re-riveting a new one on...
I know AK's are designed to accept very loose tolerances, but this is TOO loose. If the mag falls down far enough to touch the release, feeding becomes an issue. I can hold onto the mag and pull it up (and pull the rifle towards me), and this solves the problem. It also gives me a good place to grab the rifle with my left hand. However, I'd rather having it working 100% right.

I didn't look closely at the mag release latch, but it seemed like a pin could be driven out and the release replaced. But, I didn't examine it closely. It could require the entire section to be replaced...

Old 08-07-2008, 05:39 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

At least on my Norinco, my two Romy "G-Kit" builds, and my Romy RPK build, the latch is not held on by a pin, but rather riveted on very permanently.

Who built/imported your rifle? The reason I ask is the more I look at this, the more it seems to me that it's not your latch that's out of spec, but rather your magazine well is out of spec. You could either solve the issue by contacting the manufacturer, or trying some different magazines...

Old 08-07-2008, 11:15 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

century built it.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:14 AM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

That explains a lot. The best description I've ever heard about Century's "builds" is they let a bunch of angry, drunken chimps loose on the guns and they hammer on the guns until someone throws them a bannana.

You might want to try some of the Bulgarian "Waffle" polymer magazines. They tend to fit a little bit tighter than the all steel ones. Look for a pair of concentric circles around a number 10...

Old 08-08-2008, 07:45 AM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
That explains a lot. The best description I've ever heard about Century's "builds" is they let a bunch of angry, drunken chimps loose on the guns and they hammer on the guns until someone throws them a bannana.

You might want to try some of the Bulgarian "Waffle" polymer magazines. They tend to fit a little bit tighter than the all steel ones. Look for a pair of concentric circles around a number 10...
Yeah, I knew century wasn't known for quality control... I have cant to deal with as well. I think an easy fix for the mag release latch is to just weld on a longer tab. All the mags I have fit well, they just rock up and down at the back where the latch is SUPPOSED to hold them in place. The front and sides of the mags fit perfect. I'll see what a gunsmith would charge to lengthen my latch by an 3/16 inch or so...