M16 or AK? - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion >

M16 or AK?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2009, 04:33 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

This debate would never gain footing if the people debating the issues had one of each rifle in front of them. The AK looks like something that was assembled in someones garage...many of them have rear sights that are "canted" because of sloppy assembly and piss poor QC. Quality forgings trump stamped sheet metal in my book all day long...the 5.56 round may lose energy at 500 yds., but at least you can hit your target. The 7.62 x 39 is ballistically identical to the 30-30, and we all know the effective range of the 30-30...and any lever action 30-30 will be a lot more accurate than any AK-47.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 07-27-2009, 08:10 AM   #32

A younger guy in my company was with some Army Special Forces in Desert Storm.

On a hotel shuttle at EWR (Newark) a few weeks ago I asked him the same question, with a few minutes left to arrive in front of the M. Courtyard (Elizabeth). His crew deadheaded with us the next morning.

All he told me was that their rifles would often jam and in order to have a reliable gun they picked up and used the Iraqis' AKs.
Those words were his, not mine. If this is hard to believe, or that he made up the story of Special Forces, send me a message and I'll be glad to leave a note in his Detroit company mail box next time I go through, and ask him to contact whoever. His first name is Rick or Richard (last name anonymous in public) and could be 40 years old.

Last edited by Laufer; 07-27-2009 at 08:17 AM.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:21 PM   #33

If you want a really badass gun get an AK chambered in 5.56 NATO... the cheapest way to do it is get a RAA Saiga .223 (it shoots 5.56 too) and convert it to a pistol grip. Saigas are more accurate than most AK's. That way you get the ballistics of a 5.56 with the reliablilty of an AK.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:42 PM   #34

I like the AR better. The thing that did it for me was that it felt more comfortable to hold. I heard that the AK can deal with the elements alot better. They are pretty inexpensive. The thing the AR has on the AK is accuracy and range. Then again, you CAN get AK's that are chambered for .223. Again it depends on what YOU want. I just prefer the AR. I think it looks more badass and I found it more comfortable. A friend of mine had a Romanian WASR that was chambered for .223 and it jammed up alot. So again, don't buy into the myths about either one. Get what you like best and what suits you best.

If you have a lot of money to spend on either weapon, I'd almost say scrap the AK or the AR and get an M14. They are cool guns. Problem is at least around here, they are a rare find. I think Norinco makes an M14 copy. I don't know what the legality of Norincos is anymore either. Perhaps someone could answer that for me.

Last edited by hogger129; 07-27-2009 at 10:51 PM.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:41 AM   #35

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 766

im no expert on the matter but i have heard some good things and bad things about the china copys of the m-14 type rifles...everything from soft bolts,unheat treated receivers,blah blah blah,ect...maybe someone or more then one people bought some of these china copys & they where crap when they came off the assembly line?...either way,everything is not perfect everytime...now i must say i have not owned any m1a rifles or doubt i will...because of the price but the good things that i have heard about the china copys (mostly polytechs) is that theyre receivers are just as good if not exactly the same as the original m14 rifles...they are still somewhat mixed reviews about the bolts and barrels....something about the headspace goes south after a few hundred rounds...i call B.S. on that one...my polytech has over 3k rounds out of it...and being i bought it used...there is no telling how many rounds where sent through it before me?...maybe mine is special?...my buddy has a S.A. m1a and it want shoot groups as good as my polytech...even when we traded rifles,he grouped better with my polytech than he did with his S.A. now im not by any means a rifleman...neither is he...but something is wrong there?im not saying polytech is anybetter than s.a. or anybody else that makes m14 type rifles...but it sounds like to me that s.a. was trying to start a bunch of crap on these rifles because the china made rifles where just as if not better than the s.a.'s..alot better in price (1/3) not that cheap anymore......now im not trying to start a big debate over which rifle is better or what ever...im just telling who ever that gets a chance to snag up one of these rifles,dont hesitate,buy it!...i did and didnt look back...by the way...my buddys s.a. showed more headspace then my polytech after blasting 1500 rds over a weeked...so much for the soft bolt theory?

Old 07-28-2009, 01:03 AM   #36

norinco makes well...made, one hell of an ak-47 type rifle...bwk-92 sporter...chambered in 5.56...it is one hell of an accurate sheet metal gun...atleast the one i snagged up during the AWB thanks to bill clinton..i might get bashed from RL357 saying this again... but my norinco @100yrds is just as if not as more accurate as my e2sbushmaster ar-type rifle...whats really unbelievable is the ak223 has a 16 1/2 inch barrel...the bushy has a 20inch barrel...maybe my eyes like the leaf style sights better than the peep sites???either way...i'd take my bushy over the ak anyday...just because i have more mags and a 100rd beta mag for it..as for the legality of the norincos...i heard it was because they where selling guns with fullauto parts in them to the public?...idk? thats what i heard?...come to think of it...the disconnector in my norinco has the tail still on it...i hope that doesnt mean i have a machine gun?

Old 07-28-2009, 01:15 AM   #37

recently on the military channel either future weapons or balistics pitted the two against eachother and the AK is more reliable when completly covered in mud but the M16 is far more accurate. if both guns are clean and the distance is normally great that your firing from then the M16 is more reliable to hit your target, but if your crawling through mud pits it doesnt matter what your distance if you cant get a shot off. (unless your close enough to beat them with it, but in that case i would guess its a draw)

Old 07-28-2009, 02:12 AM   #38

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by m72law View Post
i might get bashed from RL357 saying this again... but my norinco @100yrds is just as if not as more accurate as my e2sbushmaster ar-type rifle...whats really unbelievable is the ak223 has a 16 1/2 inch barrel...the bushy has a 20inch barrel... :
I'm certainly not gonna bash you for your choice - everyone has their preferrence. I just think it's ridiculous when people try to compare the AK to the AR. It's apples and oranges IMO. The discussion invariably turns into a defensive one on the part of the AK owners who claim "reliabilty" as their trump card. Reliability in the civilian world is a non-issue since both the AK and the AR are semi-auto. Then the discussion ALWAYS turns to function after being "dragged through the mud". Do you know anyone who has dragged their gun through the mud? When I hunt I am careful to keep water out of the action and bore. Hunting with a BP sidelock replica will teach you a thing or two about maintaining reliabilty and preventing misfires.
My guns are well maintained to the point of pampering - I want them to work when I need them to work...and accuracy to me is much more important than loose tolerances which allow a mud-caked gun to fire. Besides, AR's have port doors to prevent mud, sand, and debri from entering the action - AK's don't. And lastly, since we are not talking full-auto weapons here, I feel much more secure in the knowledge that my semi-auto is capable of making head shots at 200yds. and beyond, with every shot. But that's just my preferrence...
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 07-28-2009 at 02:19 AM.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:30 AM   #39

+1 to that RL ...there is no comparison to either rifle...& i know everyone makes that claim about the ak's covered in mud,sand,snow,what ever?...i just have to know...why in the hell would anyone want to treat any firearm especially a tool that will save your life that way??....i understand the whole tourture testing and things...but like you said...im not going to drag my rifle through the mud...i hope anyone knows better then to do such a terrible thing if they cant help it....if your gun gets dirty...you better clean it...cause there might be a time when that rifle must work to make a diffrence between life & death...a good rule of thumb would be to clean firearms before you even sit down to eat...or do anything for that matter...just my .02cents

Old 07-28-2009, 02:45 AM   #40

When I was active duty, I never once saw a soldier from any branch have to drop his m-16/m-4 in order to keep firing.You kept your rifle spic and span, and if you didn't you would be reprimanded. This may have been something that happened during 'Nam. then turned into myth.
When I saw an AK fired, it was generally from the hip. Probably because they have basically pistol sights on top of that rifle, trying to make an quick accurate shot would be almost impossible.
As for those of you that don't think a 5.56 will kill, you've obviously never seen someone take a couple to the center of mass, they don't go far, usually about 3 ft, straight down
When I was hit, it was by an RPG, not a sheet steel stamped out piece of crap AK.
That's me on the bottom left in the pic, my avatar.
He got me with an RPG, I got him with a Hellfire missile. He didn't do so well.

BTW, I'm front left in my avatar pic.

Closed Thread

Newest Threads