M16 or AK?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > M16 or AK?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2007, 09:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default M16 or AK?

What is more reliable? I have heard the AK is more reliable than the M16... any ideas why?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-04-2007, 11:11 PM   #2

ar15:

generally more accurate
less damaging, but more prone to ricochet and bounce (could be good)
usually lighter
better sights
small cartridge
long range accuracy, too

ak47:

more damaging
heavy (could be good for aiming)
wood stock (for a club when you run out of ammo i suppose)
easier to field strip
more 'reliable' as in.. you can put mud inside the action of an ak47 and it'll still fire... this isn't so with an ar15 because the AR has smaller moving parts that are prone to jamming because of foreign materials (mud).

So, in essence, if you're in a situation where you can take good care of your firearm (clean/lube and such) the AR15 might be the better choice, but if you were lost in the wilderness or in the middle of a muddy battlefield the AK47 would be more reliable.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:00 AM   #3

HoundDog,
This post may help you make a decision: http://www.warrifles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47458

No guns, no peace.
Know guns, know peace.

Old 10-06-2007, 05:08 PM   #4

The AK is more reliable hands down.

The gas system is so pressurized and open in an AK that it has pressure to spare to run the action, that's why the star shape gas tube. The Piston is driving the bolt carrier back the full length of travel.

In an AR the gas is running through a small diameter tube with ID of about 1/8", and after about an inch of rearward travel of the bolt carrier; the tube's disconnected from the carrier. Also, there is no gas piston in the AR, the AR is essentially a gas-assist system in that the pressure in the tube transfers to the bolt carrier creating high pressure between the bolt and carrier (the bolt is a piston inside the carrier's cylinder) driving the carrier back unlocking the bolt.

In my opinion, it's a pretty worthless system. If you want accuracy; get a bolt action - for half the price.

Oh yeah, and this is comical but true stuff here: http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinHumor.htm

Neither the AK or AR is the winner.

Old 12-22-2007, 01:31 AM   #5

I can't agree with "better sights" , that is all personal preferance.

I have a hard time aquiring a target with the AR sights, you look through a little hole and when you line it up, the little hole is filled up!!!

With the AK, I am not blinded by the sight, plus it allows you to see if your target blew up or not.

Old 12-22-2007, 03:15 AM   #6

as for reliability the ak wins hands down, but I must disagree with csteinman about damage. The .223 was designed to cause damage, it bounces off bone and causes internal damage, so even if the entry point is not at a vital point it could still possible cause fatal injury, on the other hand the 7.62x39 is a heavy bullet that cuases a high percentage of through and through wounds, so in other words if it does not hit a vital area it is highly survivable.

Old 12-22-2007, 02:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex in Maine View Post
as for reliability the ak wins hands down, but I must disagree with csteinman about damage. The .223 was designed to cause damage, it bounces off bone and causes internal damage, so even if the entry point is not at a vital point it could still possible cause fatal injury, on the other hand the 7.62x39 is a heavy bullet that cuases a high percentage of through and through wounds, so in other words if it does not hit a vital area it is highly survivable.
For this, you would just have to listen to actual accounts.

The .223, from what I have heard, is not known for it's stopping power in the field.

About the design, the internal damage part might be somewhat true, but it is secondary, the primary goal of the .223 cal bullet was to limit penetration to avoid collateral damages.

With this being the case, I would want the round with the most kE, atleast you have a chance to knock the target off their feet, let them know they have been hit.

Old 12-22-2007, 05:02 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default M16 / Ak

This rates right up there with the Ford and Chevy debate. Either rifle will handle a typical armed conflict. Which one you feel most comfortable with is really the only question worth answering.
The AK is easier for a beginner to master. Given 30 minutes someone can be taught all they need to know about an AK. It is simple to use and maintain, and #1 it's cheaper.
The M16 is a different animal. It is capable of better accuracy and better range, but it demands better care and training, and #1 it's more expensive.
John Q.

Old 12-29-2007, 12:06 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

why cant ya have both? If I am on American Soil give me my AR, if i am over seas give me the AK , all comes down to what ammo you can get in a hurry

Old 01-11-2008, 07:29 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Righteous View Post
why cant ya have both? If I am on American Soil give me my AR, if i am over seas give me the AK , all comes down to what ammo you can get in a hurry
You can almost have both....buy an AK in .223

No, the .223 doesn't have the same "knock-down power of the 7.62x39, but that was not in the design parameters of that round. We were looking for something that was "lighter", hence more load carrying capacity (rounds) for the infantry man carrying that weapon.

As for penetration, the theory was that the round would penetrate then bounce around in the body, causing possibly fatal wounds, or enough of one to incapacitate that person, causing possibly the loss of service of a few of his comrades as they tended to their wounded or carried them out. This was all in the original theory, not always practiced in the field, as they often left their wounded behind if need be.

The AK is by far the most reliable design in a combat weapon and has been since the 1940's. No, it isn't as accurate as an AR can be, but it wasn't designed for that. It was designed to deliver lead, and does so very well. In the hands of someone that is experienced with it, and within the range it was intended to be used at, it is as lethal as anything out there. The AK's in 5.45x39 can be as light as alot of AR's, specially with poly stocks on them.

The AR, again, is more accurate, requires more maintenance, but is far more FLEXIBLE. You can easily modify an AR to fit most needs. Stocks and pistol grips, rail systems, trigger groups, etc. are easily changed, allowing you to add accessories like optics, lasers, vertical grips, flare launchers, etc. You can even buy or assemble different uppers that can be swapped back and forth on one lower receiver to fit the need again, whether it be Tactical and short for convenience, or a long range/target/varmint upper for reaching out and touching something. This is something that is not easily done on any AK.

There are many other differences, pros/cons, it's all in what fits your needs best.

Closed Thread