Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Looking to buy my first AK what do you have experience with

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2011, 04:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Looking to buy my first AK what do you have experience with

Hello i am looking to buy my first AK now i have been wanting one for the longest time. I was at the range with my G17 and 1911 and this dude let me shoot his Romanian AK. It was an underfolder and i really liked the action of it Now i am Original kind of guy. I like the Beautiful Wood Furniture type something that is well made not cheaply made. I don't know what Country makes the best i hear good and bad about all of them. Whether it is the Chinese,Bugarian,Romanian,Russian,Yugoslavian or whatever. I mean i guess it is all a matter of personal preference when it comes down to it.

GOTTA HAVE WELL BUILT QUALITY-BEAUTIFUL WOOD FURNITURE-RELIABILITY-CHROME LINED BARREL- NO MAGAZINE WABBLE-ACCURACY-BOLT HOLD OPEN FEATURE IF POSSIBLE.

I hear Yugoslavian magazines have a ''Bolt Hold Open'' type of thing from what i have been told.

I know i sound like a picky ass lol i am willing to spend $3K i have been saving for a bit for this.

What AK would be perfect for me based on my wants what AK'S do you guys own???

I saw this one here AK-47 Rifle for Sale Atlantic Firearms.com

It is Romanian but what is the model number and company name???? I emailed them on the Sep 2nd haven't heard back. I think it looks like a Sweet deal but maybe not i don't know anyone bought or own this AK???

I am also looking for a Astra A-50 .380 or Astra Constable .380 If you got one i am interested i got an FFL Agent.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-09-2011, 05:52 PM   #2

After taking what you were looking into consideration I would suggest an arsenal. If you go cheap the chances of getting good quality are a lot slimmer but definitely achievable. I have a Romanian wasr10 I know those are considered to be the bottom of the barrel but if you know what to look for you can't go wrong. I don't think youll need to spend all that cash on an ak maybe 1300 and the rest you could use for goodies

Old 09-09-2011, 06:18 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Czechpoint - Product - Rifles - 7.62 x 39 mm - Sa vz. 58 Military

If i had that much to spend on an AK-type rifle, i would get a VZ58. I have lusted after one for some time now--better safety lever & bolt hold open & lighter weight. You can duct tape a bayonet on if you really feel the need.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:48 PM   #4

Arsenal AK is the way to go. Very beautiful great shooting rifle.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:27 PM   #5

Liked 1416 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I think you need to do some(much)more homework before you buy your AK.

You have $3K your willing to spend and yet a entry level CIA WASR-10 Romey catches your eye??

I'll tell you what, for that $3K you can have my Zombie Slayer Scout rifle below including 1K ammo, optics and spare parts. I'll even include shipping!

Just send me the cash and a copy of your FFL.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-10-2011, 04:21 AM   #6

Liked 61 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I'll tell you what I would do if I were you.
You said "Now i am Original kind of guy." so if you are wanting an AK & wanting to keep it original just to enjoy the basic beauty of the AK.
But still want all that you asked for "GOTTA HAVE WELL BUILT QUALITY-BEAUTIFUL WOOD FURNITURE-RELIABILITY-CHROME LINED BARREL- NO MAGAZINE WABBLE-ACCURACY-BOLT HOLD OPEN FEATURE IF POSSIBLE."
All except the bolt hold open feature can be found in the Polish Tantal AK74.
It has a wire side folding stock that can be changed out to a wood stock by removing two screws and two pins.
The Tantal fires the 5.45x39 round that is as accurate as most ARs & is dirt cheap if you buy in bulk.(as low as 10.8 cents per round)
5.45x39 Ammunition
And if you buy it here it is only $389.99 you could pay for the gun with the money saved over the 7.62x39 on the first few cases of ammo.
Unadvertised Specials
It is a little more than half way down the page.
Here is a picture of my Tantal and a few more from my arsenal.
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/ak-sks-picture-thread-21039/index11.html
It is post # 106 and here it is with a wood stock.

This is a Chinese stock it is all I had to throw on to show how easy it is to change.

Old 09-10-2011, 04:57 AM   #7

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Problem with the 5.45x39 is there arent as many makers for the ammo so you are limited to where you can buy it. If I hadnt gotten such a good deal on my AK74 I would have gone with the 7.62x39.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:20 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Good point, but Hornady and Federal have now dove into this Russian cartridge too! As long as the demand keeps steady for a couple more (5) years, then this cartridge will be on the same availability level as 7.62 x 39.

But I'll agree and say that you need to do much, MUCH more homework. Look on Gunbroker and Atlanticfirearms and Centerfire, there are many options. My Dad recently bought a Saiga conversion from Arms of America, they called it "Russian Red AK" I believe from Koryankovich (or close to that) Armory and it is SWEET. Groups right about the same as my most recent build and 1/2 the size of a WASR. For $3K you can buy one of those (nickel plated, custom furniture, etc.) 2 cases of ammo and 20 mags. . .. Oh, don't forget a drum.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:10 AM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

W/ that kind of budget you can have a Fuller built AK or purchase a historically correct collectors item.

Old 09-11-2011, 01:25 AM   #10

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62 Man View Post
I'll tell you what I would do if I were you.
You said "Now i am Original kind of guy." so if you are wanting an AK & wanting to keep it original just to enjoy the basic beauty of the AK.
But still want all that you asked for "GOTTA HAVE WELL BUILT QUALITY-BEAUTIFUL WOOD FURNITURE-RELIABILITY-CHROME LINED BARREL- NO MAGAZINE WABBLE-ACCURACY-BOLT HOLD OPEN FEATURE IF POSSIBLE."
All except the bolt hold open feature can be found in the Polish Tantal AK74.
It has a wire side folding stock that can be changed out to a wood stock by removing two screws and two pins.
The Tantal fires the 5.45x39 round that is as accurate as most ARs & is dirt cheap if you buy in bulk.(as low as 10.8 cents per round)
5.45x39 Ammunition
And if you buy it here it is only $389.99 you could pay for the gun with the money saved over the 7.62x39 on the first few cases of ammo.
Unadvertised Specials
It is a little more than half way down the page.
Here is a picture of my Tantal and a few more from my arsenal.
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/ak-sks-picture-thread-21039/index11.html
It is post # 106 and here it is with a wood stock.

This is a Chinese stock it is all I had to throw on to show how easy it is to
change.
There are not chrome lined barrels at all