Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AK & SKS Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   Looking to buy AK (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/looking-buy-ak-30291/)

Hendo 08-11-2010 02:26 AM

Looking to buy AK
 
I've recently joined here and I've been reading a whole ton of threads already up on the site. I guess I'll start with what my intended uses are. Primarily I really wanted a gun to shoot at the local range, and to have the gun double as home protection (only if it really ever came to that, I live in pretty nice suburbs). I've looked into AKs and I know I don't want a WASR. My budget is around 4-5 hundred, but I will push it to 600 if it is really worth it for the gun. I don't think I have a particular preference in regards to 5.45 or 7.62, but I think I'm probably going to end up with 5.45. I really like the Yugos I've looked at and I really want to find one with a chrome lined barrel. Here's a few I've considered buying... anyone with experience with these I would greatly appreciate the feedback/help!

M72 RPK Sporter 7.62x39 Rifle

AKM74 M74 Sporter Rifle, 5.45x39 Caliber w/ Side Rail. By CAI.

Tantal Sporter Rifle Cal. 5.45x39mm Century Arms

AK 47 Assault Rifle Sale

Bulgarian AK-74 Rifle - 5.45x39 - With 3 Mags #AKAGUN74

Also, are recoil buffers a good idea to put on? Thanks!

Mannster 08-11-2010 11:46 AM

Hey, good luck with your purchase. Good decision to go with the AK. I have a Yugo and a WASR-10 and I love them both. The WASR has a chrome lined barrel while the Yugo doesn't but it has a heavier barrel. I've put a bunch of rounds through both and haven't had a single jam or misfire. I can't say which I prefer, maybe the Yugo as it's an underfolder, but I love the look of the wood on my WASR.

Personally, I prefer 7.62x39. Bigger round with a bigger punch. It's pretty close ballistically to the 6.8 - not an exact match, but pretty close. I think you'll find the ammo generally cheaper, and you can fire wolf/tula ammo through it all day. It loves that stuff, and cleaning isn't a big issue with the AK as it breaks down very easy.

One other thing about my Yugo... It has some off size items on it - maybe it's just the underfolder (not sure - I'm not an AK expert). But I know I ordered some addons for it and while they fit the WASR, the Yugo had a gas tube that was longer than standard, and a lower handguard that was longer. I didn't do an exhaustive search, but I wasn't able to find too many accessories for the non standard Yugo.

Good luck!

Hendo 08-12-2010 02:54 AM

Thanks! Now I'm looking to get a .22 rifle also for shooting lol. Im looking at some arsenals but theyre a bit over my budget.

Hendo 08-12-2010 02:57 AM

Also. how are IOs in quality? they seem ok for the price

diggsbakes 08-12-2010 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mannster (Post 329713)
Personally, I prefer 7.62x39. Bigger round with a bigger punch. It's pretty close ballistically to the 6.8 - not an exact match, but pretty close. I think you'll find the ammo generally cheaper, and you can fire wolf/tula ammo through it all day. It loves that stuff, and cleaning isn't a big issue with the AK as it breaks down very easy.

The 7.62 is the Russian version of the 30-30. The ammo is close to double the price of the 5.45 x 39, especially in respect to surplus. Many American ammunition companies manufacture this round, so supply is not totally dependent on import/surplus The 7.62 x 39 is also known for it's ability to penetrate solid objects,

The 5.45x 39 is known for it's wounding potential, flatter trajectory, lower recoil and greater accuracy. It's availability is based solely (maybe an exception I don't know of?) on importation.

Quote:

One other thing about my Yugo... It has some off size items on it - maybe it's just the underfolder (not sure - I'm not an AK expert). But I know I ordered some addons for it and while they fit the WASR, the Yugo had a gas tube that was longer than standard, and a lower handguard that was longer. I didn't do an exhaustive search, but I wasn't able to find too many accessories for the non standard Yugo.
Yugo and Romanian parts aren't usually compatible. You might want to reconsider a WASR. Nothing wrong with them.

The AK does not "DOUBLE" well as a "home defense" weapon. It is a powerful rifle that penetrates walls, car doors and many other solid objects. DO NOT USE IT FOR A "HOME DEFENSE" WEAPON, ESPECIALLY IN THE SUBURBS! ! !

Hendo 08-12-2010 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diggsbakes (Post 330398)
The 7.62 is the Russian version of the 30-30. The ammo is close to double the price of the 5.45 x 39, especially in respect to surplus. Many American ammunition companies manufacture this round, so supply is not totally dependent on import/surplus The 7.62 x 39 is also known for it's ability to penetrate solid objects,

The 5.45x 39 is known for it's wounding potential, flatter trajectory, lower recoil and greater accuracy. It's availability is based solely (maybe an exception I don't know of?) on importation.



Yugo and Romanian parts aren't usually compatible. You might want to reconsider a WASR. Nothing wrong with them.

The AK does not "DOUBLE" well as a "home defense" weapon. It is a powerful rifle that penetrates walls, car doors and many other solid objects. DO NOT USE IT FOR A "HOME DEFENSE" WEAPON, ESPECIALLY IN THE SUBURBS! ! !

I dont intend on using it for that purpose. Maybe I should rephrase what I meant. I meant for target shhoting and more along the lines of SHTF in my area. I have neighbors every side of me, I wouldn't use a gun that could rip through steel for a burglar lol. If myarea became bad I would just go to gun shop for a 12 gauge. But I do appreciate the warning and concern.

How are bulgarian 74s? Correct me if Im wrong, but the WASRs dont come with chromed barrels? The ones Ive looked at I dont remember seeing that. Im hoping to get some feedback on IOs, bulgarians, and polish tantals before I make a run out to the gun shop.

7.62 Man 08-15-2010 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diggsbakes (Post 330398)
The 5.45x 39 is known for it's wounding potential, flatter trajectory, lower recoil and greater accuracy. It's availability is based solely (maybe an exception I don't know of?) on importation.
![/SIZE][/B]

Hornady is starting to make a varmint round in this cal.
Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Rifle :: Choose by Caliber :: 5.45X39 :: 5.45X39 60 gr V-MAX™ Steel Case

This guys have some good prices on AKs & other guns.
Classic Arms Inc.

TennesseanStuckInCali 08-15-2010 05:35 PM

The only way someone should use it as a home defense weapon is if its their only choice and even then its iffy.if you had to,HP would have to be the round of choice.But a shotgun is the best home defense weapon

diggsbakes 08-15-2010 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7.62 Man (Post 332095)
Hornady is starting to make a varmint round in this cal.
Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Rifle :: Choose by Caliber :: 5.45X39 :: 5.45X39 60 gr V-MAX™ Steel Case

This guys have some good prices on AKs & other guns.
Classic Arms Inc.

Right on! That's good news.

I would, however still like to see Winchester, Remington or any other (preferably even lower class) mass commercial manufactures, come up a target/mil-spec line for this cartridge, just to know that the continued supply is available domestically.

But it's a start!

robocop10mm 08-16-2010 03:13 PM

Future availability has always been a major concern for me in regards to the 5.45. All it will take is a stroke of the (Presidential) pen for imports to cease.
The 7.62 has an established manufacturing and fan base. With Winchester, Federal and Remington all making ammo its future availability is more assured.


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:02 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.