Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Just plain foolish...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2010, 06:32 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Just plain foolish...

I bought an used SAR-1 about 5 years ago. It came with one 40 round magazine. I then replaced the fire control group with the G2 group and the piston to a domestic ss type. I found a good price on an original Romanian side folder stock and a laminated handgrip. Then I sent the whole package to Jason at IGF and had the muzzle threaded, replaced the gas block with the bayo-lug type original and had the whole thing parkerized and envirotech coated...bought a slew of magazines...30's in steel...more 30 round Bulgy polymer mags...20 round Hungarian mags...pouches and spare parts...and ammo...damn I have a load of ammo! So now I have about 2 grand into a third world type rifle. I could probably never afford to sell it...Oh it's a beauty, has the appropriate parts count to keep her legal...an really quite accurate...I guess the point is. The original rifle cost me 350.00...and then I went stupid...

Are you sure it isn't time for a "colourful metaphor"?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-27-2010, 06:45 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7591 Times on 3304 Posts
Likes Given: 1123

Nice. BTW, I know a guy that took a Vega Station Wagon (subcompact from the 1970s for those of you that have chronological shortcomings) and managed to get a big block V-8 with a blower stuffed inside.

He had a lot of fun with it- but in the end, was still a very pricey Vega station wagon. At least you can shoot yours!

Just kidding. I put about 75 hours into restoring a Mossberg .22 rifle. When I finished, it was still a Mossberg 22. Worth about $150 on a good day. I just had not PLANNED on spending nearly two weeks on it- but one thing leads to another............

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:51 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So, what's wrong with having a dependable rifle with lots of ammo and mags?
I'm doing the same thing to my WASR-10. Just because terrorists use the base gun doesnt mean you cant make the same base gun better or more personal, right?
I mean its basically the same thing as building an AR-15 from an assembled reciever, I'd be proud of it if I did all that.
Hell, you might be able to sell the spare parts if you really wanted some of the money back.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:05 AM   #4

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I have a MK III Ruger with about 550.00 in it all together. Yeah, never be able to sell it maybe but it is fun to shoot.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-27-2010, 03:39 PM   #5

Pardon the ramblings...I was reading something somewhere about the value of AK's...I heard you can buy 'em over in the middle east for 100-200 bucks and I got to thinking about what we, over here put into our semi-auto type rifles. I'm actually toying with the idea of sending my Marlin 1895 GS to WWG for a work over...You never know when your gonna be in bear country and need a reliable 45-70 lever rifle...truth is, I was in Montana once walking in the mountains with my wife...we were stunned by the most ferocious growl I'd ever heard just behind a hedge of bushes along the trail we were walking...very disconcerting. I had a Chinese Norinco AKM with me at the time and somehow felt at a disadvantage due to the proximity and the suprise of this presence....obviously a bear but fortunately he/she never came out of the bushes...we back-stepped cautiously back down the trail to our truck. Anyway, I don't plan to sell these "projects" but wanted to share my amusement that we do these things...like the Chevy Vega...we put way more then the market value into these things because we enjoy it...and yes, even though an AK semi-auto is really not an AK as it were...she will still schuck the lead downrange!

Old 06-27-2010, 11:12 PM   #6

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks for sharing brother! I too have done that with many an AK over the years. My last was a WASR 10. Put about a grand into it total not including mags and ammo.

I never consider mags and ammo in the total cost of a gun since they can be used in other similar weapons as well.

Nice gun.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:53 PM   #7

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts

My 1911 started out as a $400 stock gov't model, i lost count of how many $ I've put into it. I love it, and shoot the blazes out of it. I don't give a hoot about the $ either. My MAK -90 has Ironwood furniture, tech sights etc. I'll never sell any thing.

You've got one of the finest AK's I've seen. You can't please everyone, but you have definitely pleased yourself. I'd say you did real good. Enjoy the rifle and sleep well my brother.

Beautiful job!

Steve

Old 07-01-2010, 09:53 PM   #8

Liked 315 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 426

"Third world type rifle"?

The original design was certainly not conceived of in a third world nation.Not to defend Russia,and certainly not to defend the Soviet Empire-as they were and are many undesirable things,but 'third world' they were and right now are not.

The people of the third world that use AK type rifles would just as soon use any other type rifle they could get their hands on,but it just so happens that AKs are the most prolific rifle ever,so they are everywhere.Besides helping many industrially-capable Communist-friendly nations to produce their own variants,when the Soviet Union upgraded their arsenal from the AKM 7.62x39 to the AK-74 5.45x39,they literally hemorrhaged AKMs onto the world market.
Alot of what is over there in those third world s**t holes that couldnt actually produce their own versions for lack of technological and industrial ability comes directly from Soviet military surplus.

And just because a rifle is surplus,does not make it a 'third world' rifle.

You can still find k98s and Enfeild rifles in the hands of third worlders and those aren't 'third world rifles' either-but are some of the finest infantry rifles ever fielded.

Some of the most industrially and economically advanced nations in the world have even adopted the AK in some variant or other as well,just look at the Galil and Valmet rifles.

And the AK design continues to be improved upon to this day,with the AK 107 and 108 rifles that feature an advanced 'counter-mass' gas system that,IMHO,bests both the direct impingement system of the AR design and the piston system of the original AK design.
Rather than the AK designers adopting a gas impingement type system and compromising the reliability of their design,or the often encountered gas piston system being adopted for AR type rifles compromising its superior controllability-this 'counter mass' system is truly the best of both worlds.
It keeps the superior reliability of the piston system by eliminating the 'craps where it eats' problems of direct impingement found in the AR, while reducing its major drawback-the hindrance in accuracy of fully automatic fire because of the recoil impulse of having a heavy bolt group slamming around,which the AR designs gas impingement did not have.

This is a technological innovation you can hardly expect to come from a third world nation's ordnance and arms designers.

Check it out-

Modern Firearms - Kalashnikov AK-107 AK-108 assault rifle

Quote:
..........counter-mass to compensate the recoil impulse, generated by massive bolt group, slamming against the receiver in its rearmost and forward-most position during the reloading cycle. The counter-mass is linked with second gas piston and moves in opposite direction to bolt group. Synchronization is achieved using a simple rack and pinion system. In this system, only the impulse of the fired cartridge is transferred to the receiver, and through the buttstock to the shoulder of the shooter. The impulses of the heavy and fast-moving bolt group are compensated by the counter-mass, and do not affect the shooting, unlike the AK where the moving bolt group produces a lot of additional recoil and vibration.
There is absolutely nothing foolish about owning an AK and putting money into it to make it a better shooter for you.
In fact,that looks like a pretty good setup you have there,and as I have a SAR-1 myself and have been considering new stocks I am taking note of yours.
"You assist an evil system most effectively by obeying its orders and decrees. An evil system never deserves such allegiance. Allegiance to it means partaking of the evil. A good person will resist an evil system with his or her whole soul."
-Mahatma Gandhi

http://jpfo.org/
III%

Last edited by KalashnikovJosh; 07-01-2010 at 09:58 PM.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:04 PM   #9

I stand corrected sir...You passion is apparent

Old 07-01-2010, 11:15 PM   #10

Liked 315 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillmillenia View Post
I stand corrected sir...You passion is apparent
No correction intended,just elucidation.
"You assist an evil system most effectively by obeying its orders and decrees. An evil system never deserves such allegiance. Allegiance to it means partaking of the evil. A good person will resist an evil system with his or her whole soul."
-Mahatma Gandhi

http://jpfo.org/
III%