Just curious..... - Page 3


Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Just curious.....

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2012, 11:50 PM   #21
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Sniper03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 5,220
Liked 2563 Times on 1251 Posts
Likes Given: 1287

Default

I am also a vet and I respect NM-LEOs feelings and question since each of us have our own quirks as we might call them. It seemed he was just asking our views to see if any of us here felt the same as he. I agree with the other vets there is a distinct sound that an AK 7.62X39 makes compared to other weapons that might remind us of situations. But like most here, I do not blame or hate the weapon. Kalashnikov did a fantastic job on designing a great combat weapon made for only one purpose. It is not my choice over the M-4 or AR platform but since I own one it is one H of a weapon. I just have to respect NM-LEs feelings I have some in other areas but not directed toward the AK. Unless I am sadly mistaken I believe he meant no issue other than to get feedback regarding our opinions and how each of us individualy felt. I would not hesitate to pick one up anytime for defense!
God Bless America!

03



__________________

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Sniper03 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:39 AM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
NM-LEO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 135
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03
I am also a vet and I respect NM-LEOs feelings and question since each of us have our own quirks as we might call them. It seemed he was just asking our views to see if any of us here felt the same as he. I agree with the other vets there is a distinct sound that an AK 7.62X39 makes compared to other weapons that might remind us of situations. But like most here, I do not blame or hate the weapon. Kalashnikov did a fantastic job on designing a great combat weapon made for only one purpose. It is not my choice over the M-4 or AR platform but since I own one it is one H of a weapon. I just have to respect NM-LEs feelings I have some in other areas but not directed toward the AK. Unless I am sadly mistaken I believe he meant no issue other than to get feedback regarding our opinions and how each of us individualy felt. I would not hesitate to pick one up anytime for defense!
God Bless America!

03
Thank you for that thoughtful answer!


__________________
"Never for one second think that I am peaceful because I have forgotten how to be violent. And never mistake my kindness for weakness."
NM-LEO is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:05 AM   #23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default

Been shot at with them, have actually been hit in my body armor by them, I do not own one, but one day I will. I have no hate for them. I know a lot of people do, but I also know a lot of vets who love them BECAUSE of what they've seen them do.

I look at it like this- if your best friend dies in a car accident, will you hate cars? IMHO, that would just be silly.

__________________
trip286 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:15 AM   #24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
NM-LEO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 135
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
Been shot at with them, have actually been hit in my body armor by them, I do not own one, but one day I will. I have no hate for them. I know a lot of people do, but I also know a lot of vets who love them BECAUSE of what they've seen them do.

I look at it like this- if your best friend dies in a car accident, will you hate cars? IMHO, that would just be silly.
Thank ya. Where did you get hit I the armor? I took one center mass, afterwards I had a stop sign shaped bruise and 4 broken ribs. Haha
__________________
"Never for one second think that I am peaceful because I have forgotten how to be violent. And never mistake my kindness for weakness."
NM-LEO is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:09 AM   #25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: waco,tx
Posts: 65
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default

Don't hate them - they are an eerie sounding gun - I will be getting a Saiga soon -

__________________
KHickam is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:49 AM   #26
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM-LEO

Thank ya. Where did you get hit I the armor? I took one center mass, afterwards I had a stop sign shaped bruise and 4 broken ribs. Haha
Three in the chest, one in the back, one in the head
__________________
trip286 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:29 AM   #27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
NM-LEO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 135
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286

Three in the chest, one in the back, one in the head
Damn! What did the plates look like? TBI??
__________________
"Never for one second think that I am peaceful because I have forgotten how to be violent. And never mistake my kindness for weakness."
NM-LEO is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:10 AM   #28
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Quentin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,548
Liked 1004 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Default

Been shot at in Vietnam and saw others die, left Nam in a C141 cargo plane with 25 coffins, a very somber flight to Okinawa. Back then I doubt I could have owned a communist gun but now 40 years later I have a Mosin, SKS and AK. A buddy who saw a lot more action than I did can't believe I have them and flat out will not go shooting if I bring one. Of course I respect his wishes but myself, I just see them as tools that can be used for good or bad. Even a Colt 1911 or AR can be used for bad.

And as c3shooter pointed out a lot of Lugers that shed American blood were brought back from the World Wars. I have two of them. One I expect did draw blood, the other is almost unused. Maybe that's another topic, how many of us have guns that likely have killed someone. How many lives did your old Mosin or SKS end? Sobering thought.

__________________

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.
________________________________________
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek


Last edited by Quentin; 06-05-2012 at 05:16 AM.
Quentin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:57 AM   #29
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM-LEO

Damn! What did the plates look like? TBI??
The front one was broken, the rear one wasn't bad as that round came in at an almost grazing angle (may have been a ricochet).


__________________

Last edited by trip286; 06-05-2012 at 12:02 PM.
trip286 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Just Curious Harleygunner The Club House 9 02-28-2011 02:37 PM
Curious on what you would do danf_fl 1911 Forum 41 02-17-2011 07:52 PM
Curious about a gun I have Vakarian Curio & Relic Discussion 11 07-05-2010 01:21 PM
curious as to why - hdwrench .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion 5 03-01-2010 10:43 PM