Just bought my first AK
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Just bought my first AK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2014, 11:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

Default Just bought my first AK

Just got it at an Auction for $600. It's a Norinco NHM91. Was graded in "excellent condition" and definitely appears that way.

http://bauerauction.auctionflex.com/showlot.ap?co=63832&weid=38493&weiid=13737336&lso= lotnumasc&pagenum=17&lang=En

I'm wanting to learn a little more about - from trusted sources - what do you AK guys/gals think of Norinco?

It came w/ synthetic stock, so I absolutely want to remove that and buy some wood furniture for it to sit in - any recommendations there?

And last question - I assume probably a dumb one - but will any "Ak47" magazine fit? Was thinking of buying some Magpul AK47 magazines, since I have such good luck w/ the pmags for my AR.

As always, thanks in advance! Looking forward to picking this baby up and having some fun!

Last edited by PrimePorkchop; 01-02-2014 at 12:06 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-02-2014, 12:09 AM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3296 Times on 1596 Posts
Likes Given: 1659

Porkchop,

The Norinco AKs are decent rifles and usually work very well. Of course in 1990 (I believe that was the year), they stopped being imported into the USA by Clinton. * Another "Democrat" inspired Anti-Gun maneuver! But I believe you will be very happy with it.

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy
PrimePorkchop Likes This 
Old 01-02-2014, 12:28 AM   #3

Liked 2449 Times on 1435 Posts
Likes Given: 559

In 1990 Bush 1 approved restrictions on imported guns from China. They ended up being imported without bayonet lugs, muzzle devices, and had to have thumbhole stocks. It was closer to 1996 When Clinton Banned import if "non-sporting" guns, which ended the Chinese commercial SKSs and AK clones. Also stopped Russian/European Dragunovs and AKs in non-sporting configuration.

When folks remove the thumbhole stocks from the Chinese guns one needs to make sure that they have enough US parts to put it in pistol grip configuration in accordance with 922r regulations.

Ironwood designs has US wood furniture that would keep up US parts count.

Any AK mag should fit the Chinese guns. The NHM91 is a longer barreled version so its not quite as compact or "handy" as your standard guns. But the longer sight radius helps with accuracy a bit. The one in the pictures has an aftermarket muzzle break/flash hider. It also looks like someone removed something from the barrel behind the front sight block (possibly a bipod, or a bayonet lug sleeve). The action cover is also an aftermarket piece that replaced the standard rear sight.
People Like This 
Old 01-02-2014, 12:41 AM   #4

Quote:
When folks remove the thumbhole stocks from the Chinese guns one needs to make sure that they have enough US parts to put it in pistol grip configuration in accordance with 922r regulations.

Ironwood designs has US wood furniture that would keep up US parts count.
Apologies, but can you elaborate on this just a tiny bit more? This one obviously has the pistol grip instead of the thumbhole, so should I be able just to purchase any AK model wooden pistol grip/ wooden set?

Or does it have to be for "Chinese AK variants" specifically?

Old 01-02-2014, 01:07 AM   #5

Liked 2449 Times on 1435 Posts
Likes Given: 559

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimePorkchop View Post
Apologies, but can you elaborate on this just a tiny bit more? This one obviously has the pistol grip instead of the thumbhole, so should I be able just to purchase any AK model wooden pistol grip/ wooden set?

Or does it have to be for "Chinese AK variants" specifically?
Any of the non-sporting guns imported after whichever date (1990, 1991,1992, 1994, I can't remember exactly which year) are required to have a certain number if US parts in order to be in a non-sporting configuration.

Easier to give you a link to the info on compliance parts than regurgitate it a here.

Linky:
http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance
PrimePorkchop Likes This 
Old 01-02-2014, 01:18 AM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3296 Times on 1596 Posts
Likes Given: 1659

Porkchop,

Yes there are companies out there selling wood kits for the AK Style Rifle. It is always best to call them and advise of your particular rifle make and model. Most will require a minor amount of fitting but nothing major. For example you may have to get another pistol grip screw due to the length required on your rifle and you might have to make a slight wood adjustment. But mine was not difficult to fit.

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy
PrimePorkchop Likes This 
Old 01-02-2014, 03:31 AM   #7

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 2021 Times on 1116 Posts
Likes Given: 6020

A great place to learn about the stock fit of various models and variants of the AK is at http://www.ironwooddesigns.com/IWDHome.html

On the Chinese Models there are several receiver cuts to think about.

Also, since most of the Chinese models are 1.5 mm stamped steel, rather than the cheaper 1.0 mm from former soviet union, you may need to work with the fit a soviet stock.

Another great resource for research. . (shhhh other sites)
http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdisplay.php?8-AK-And-SKS-Collector-Discussion-Board&

Also: since auction sites tend to delete photo's, and since people will be reading this thread for years . . . I submit to this thread a photo, to persist after the link is gone.
28902773.jpg  
People Like This 
Old 01-02-2014, 03:37 AM   #8

KG7IL, excellent post and thank you for the resources.

Been reading up on everything I can get my hands on since I got home from the auction

thanks for immortalizing the photo too
KG7IL Likes This 
Old 01-30-2014, 12:46 AM   #9

Liked 30 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

For $600 you did well, the NHM's are excellent RPK style rifles.

Definitely return it to the wood look, all those rails look odd on that one.