Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > It's time to make the switch...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2009, 03:15 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well.... that was a fast response.

Quote:
To: <Highpwr>
Subject: RE: K-VAR Corporation: User filled in Contact Us form!
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 08:02:31 -0800
X-Mailer: Microsoft Office Outlook, Build 11.0.5510

We do not have any wood furniture for an ak.

Wer anderen etwas vorgedacht, wird jahrelang nur ausgelacht.
Begreift man die Entdeckung endlich, so nennt sie jeder selbstverständlich.
-- Wilhelm Busch

Old 11-24-2009, 03:59 PM   #12

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpower View Post
it certainly makes me appreciate the standardization of the AR receiver platform that much more.

I could MAKE just about any stock work, but I don't know that it would be worth the effort. There comes a point where I might be better off just selling / trading the rifle for one already made in the configuration that I want.
Everyone has their flavor of choice. Some may view these issues as a hassle, I look at them as all part of the AK fun and an excuse to hang out in the garage, listen to music and learn. (oh yeah and drink beer)

Old 11-28-2009, 03:11 AM   #13

I think with that particular rifle you will have to attach a lower tang to the receiver either by rivets or by welding. I changed one out years ago, but I simply cut down the old stock and made a steel plate that fit in the receiver through which I screwed a bolt into the stock. I refinished the stock blonde, picked up some blonde Hungarian handguards and a grip and it turned out very well.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:38 PM   #14

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

How solid is it? I know wood better than I do guns and it seems something like that would just work itself loose over time and a couple of drops. Maybe I'm not getting the whole picture though.

But you are right about it possibly not having any tangs. There are several receiver stock variations and each one would require a different method of attachment. One more reason to have a plan before throwing away cash.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:06 AM   #15

It turned out very secure as it was a rather large screw. You can drill through the entire stock and put a stock bolt through it. Just make sure the block you mill in the back of the receiver is strong enough. All I used was a grinder, a good file, and a drill press. If I was going to do it again I would simply remove the recoil pad and drill the hole through the stock and put a stock bolt through it. That, with the screw through the upper tang will hold it very securely.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:01 AM   #16

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Interesting. Can you post some pics? I'm very curious to see the result as most AKers would not be as inclined to do this to a stock as you were.

Thanks,
D

Old 12-02-2009, 04:16 AM   #17

Sorry I can't get pics because I got rid of the gun many years ago. I had no qualms whatsoever about cutting up the thumbhole stock. I disliked it that much. I got lucky with the furniture. I picked up the front end of a cut Hungarian AK cheap at a gun show that had the blonde handguards, then picked up one of the fat Hungarian blonde checkered pistol grips from K-var. (I seriously doubt if you can find them any more) When I sanded down and stained the wood with golden oak the rifle looked really good. If you really want a wood PG then it is really not too hard to make at all. I've made 2 or 3 of them.