Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   AK & SKS Discussion (
-   -   It's time to make the switch... (

Highpower 11-01-2009 08:46 AM

It's time to make the switch...
Question for the group:

I have a NIB Arsenal SA-93 (Bulgarian / milled) that I bought back in 1996. ($309.00) :D

I've always hated the look of the stupid "ban" style thumb-hole wood stock and want to change it over to a regular military stock and hand grip. Along with all the other "compliance" bits of course....

I haven't looked lately for parts, so does anyone have a good source for a regular stock that will fit? And what will I need to attach a pistol grip to this rifle - hardware wise? Anything special? I haven't played with any AK's for awhile now. :o

Ram Rod 11-01-2009 07:08 PM

It's been a while since I've searched into this subject as well. I pretty much like my Arsenal SLR-95 as is with the thumbhole stock and not too concerned about going to the standard pistol grip AK configuration. The thing about the milled receivers like both you and I have is that you'll need to cut the stock tangs off the rear of the receiver to do the swap for standard AK buttstock. I don't know of any other way, or any other products out there on the market to avoid this. Since I seem to be such a vast amount of knowledge on the subject, I have in the past taxed the resources of a few suppliers over the years that might be of help. Arsenal Inc, K-Var, and Global Trades LLC. I think Global Trades (out of Texas) has changed names and/or sites, but a search should still yield some results for you to pursue. Good luck with it all.

diggsbakes 11-22-2009 04:59 PM

These first two are great for furniture replacement as well as trigger groups and sights/optics. You shouldn't need much additional tools or hardware other than a lug for the pistol grip which may or may not be included w/ your furniture set. If its not, your local hardware store will have something that will work.

Tactical Accessories Rifle and Gun Accessories and Parts

AK-47 Parts ? AK-47 Kits, Accessories & more at MidwayUSA

Highpower 11-22-2009 05:28 PM

Thanks, but I'm after wood AK furniture.
Plastic AR stocks & grips belong on AR's, not AK's AFAIK. :)

diggsbakes 11-23-2009 05:04 AM

Good luck then!:D I've got plenty of wood and no desire to part with it. My only suggestion is to contact the company that built your rifle. Arsenal/AK USA right? Tell them you bought it during a ban period and wish to convert from a thumb-hole stock (import friendly) to a typical pistol grip style AK and wish to purchase/exchange original furniture. I'm sure they have left overs from parts kits that went directly to the polymer/tactical style.

I personally love the raw wood and the freedom to stain and luster it to my liking.

Google is your friend!

canebrake 11-23-2009 06:11 AM

Try these:


Avtomats in Action!

Russian Wood Furniture Products Section


AK Stock Sets pictures by jadnil - Photobucket

slowryde45 11-23-2009 06:22 PM

another site to try, too:

K-VAR Corporation :: Stock Sets

diggsbakes 11-23-2009 10:08 PM

Just note before buying any replacement stock set, your milled receiver most likely has two tangs (top and bottom) that are welded in place in order to mount the stock. These may differ in length (to the hole on the tang) from that of a stock that was pulled from a stamped receiver parts kit. This won't cause you any problems with the bottom tang as a stamped receiver has no bottom tang, so you will simply have to carefully map out and drill your holes on your new stock. However, if the hole on the top tang is slightly off to the front or the rear you will not get a good fit. This can be remedied by drilling a new hole through the tang and the stock. In addition, the inside diameter of your milled receiver is most likely smaller than that of a stamped receiver due to the greater thickness, so if the receiver your stock came from was from that of stamped receiver, you will have a bit of sanding to do on the front of the stock. Again this is not a difficult task, just be sure not to remove too much wood from any one side. You will find trying to put back wood is about like trying polish a turd. ;)

But if you're really trying to be a purist then you would research the type/how much lamination, color dye and contour of handguard that mil-spec furniture was given during the time period of issue of your rifle.

Highpower 11-24-2009 01:38 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. With all the different AK receiver designs out there - stamped / milled / straight cut / angle cut / 1 tang / 2 tang / NO tang, ad nauseaum ..... it certainly makes me appreciate the standardization of the AR receiver platform that much more. :p

I could MAKE just about any stock work, but I don't know that it would be worth the effort. There comes a point where I might be better off just selling / trading the rifle for one already made in the configuration that I want.

I have a message into K-VAR to see if they can come up with what I'm looking for. If not I guess I'll be faced with trying to find a pre-ban ($$$$) rifle or picking up a stock set for a stamped receiver and playing Dr. Frankenstein.... :eek:

Thank goodness for end-mills and bedding compound. :D

Highpower 11-24-2009 01:47 PM


Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 189652)


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:59 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.