Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Issues with 75rd drum - thoughts?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2013, 03:27 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Issues with 75rd drum - thoughts?

Picked up a S. Korean 75 round drum and when attempting to chamber, the bolt gets stuck on the top of the round. Won't go any further. Played with the spring tension on the drum, etc. and it doesn't matter. With zero tension the bolt will go all the way back (of course no round is being chambered). I've tried it both on my Norinco and my M10, and it sticks in exactly the same spot on both of them.

It DOES seat perfectly into place on both rifles. I have several different flavors of mags that work perfectly, so this is unique to the drum. Any thoughts on how this might be remedied? Appreciate any input.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-16-2013, 11:37 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Only thing I could suggest is to look at the lips of the mag. Are they still in the proper position. Does it have a really thick coating where the bolt moves against it. are they taller then your other mags. Is the gap between them tighter then your other mags that work. Just compare the entire portion that fits into the rifle against the other mags you have that work and see what is different between them.

That is about the only thing I can think of without getting my hands on it.

Last edited by sgthooah04; 12-16-2013 at 11:44 AM.

Old 12-17-2013, 03:39 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Appreciate your reply. Lips appear the same as my other mags (angle/spacing, etc.), but I don't have a caliper or any way to precisely measure. I've now tried it on 3 different AK's and they all have the exact same symptoms. I'm going to return it, try another and roll the dice. They said they hadn't run into this issue before. We'll see. I was just wondering if anyone else had run into a similar issue with their drum. Thanks again.

Old 12-17-2013, 01:12 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5464 Times on 2854 Posts
Likes Given: 354

I'm assuming you have the one with the flip cover that is held closed by two latches. Before loading all spring tension has to be released. Can't have any winds on the key. Every hole in the drum has to have a round and each hast to be full. If any are missing it will bind and lockup or if spring has tension on loading.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-20-2013, 04:26 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yep, that's the one. Loaded correctly, just couldn't get the bolt past the top shell. Almost like the drum extended slightly too far into the receiver. Hopefully the replacement doesn't have the same issue.