Ironwood Designs
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Ironwood Designs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2010, 02:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 355 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Default Ironwood Designs

Can anyone give me an idea of Matt's typical turn-around time?
Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-03-2010, 10:11 PM   #2

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpower View Post
Can anyone give me an idea of Matt's typical turn-around time?
Thanks.
I ordered a laminated slant cut MAK-90 set. It was exactly 6 weeks, but well worth the wait. Finishing was a lot of fun and fitting was relatively painless:

Old 03-03-2010, 11:36 PM   #3

Wow. 6 weeks and it requires fitting?

Not what I expected from a shop with CNC routers. He told me if he didn't have something already made up, he could crank it out in 1 or 2 days. But I guess when you are the only game in town you tend to get a little backed up, eh?

Nice job you did on your MAK90 crockett. Definitively looks like it was worth the wait. I just hate the wait part.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Wow. 6 weeks and it requires fitting?

Not what I expected from a shop with CNC routers. He told me if he didn't have something already made up, he could crank it out in 1 or 2 days. But I guess when you are the only game in town you tend to get a little backed up, eh?

Nice job you did on your MAK90 crockett. Definitively looks like it was worth the wait. I just hate the wait part.

Sometimes Matt gets backed up on large commercial orders, for the houses that import parts and sell complete AK's. He usually posts on his sight about waiting times. If he tells you by e-mail or phone he can do it in two days, he will do it. My order fell in an extremely busy time for him. I knew my wait time up front, and he delivered exactly when he said he would.

He does use CNC but, the dimensions are slightly oversize to accomodate all the AK models and variations, tolerances, etc. A little sanding here and there and some trial fitting is all that is required. I had mine done in three hours. Two days for the Polycoat to cure (6 layers) and badda-boom-badda-bing!

Best $109 bucks I ever spent!

You should go for it dude, you won't be sorry.

regards,
Steve

Old 03-05-2010, 05:18 PM   #5

Already went for it as I sent him my order and payment about a week & 1/2 ago. I guess you got off easy - my stock set was double what you paid.

I didn't know he did orders for the importers. I guess the little guys go on the back burner. (j/k)

I emailed him asking for an ETA, but no response. I'm sure he's probably up to his elbows in work right now. I know the web site doesn't get updated with any regularity. I also wanted to order a RPK set, and asked him when they would be available. The only response I got was "soon". Meanwhile, I guess I'll be listening to the "Jeopardy" theme music for another 5 - 6 weeks....

Old 03-05-2010, 08:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Already went for it as I sent him my order and payment about a week & 1/2 ago. I guess you got off easy - my stock set was double what you paid.

I didn't know he did orders for the importers. I guess the little guys go on the back burner. (j/k)

I emailed him asking for an ETA, but no response. I'm sure he's probably up to his elbows in work right now. I know the web site doesn't get updated with any regularity. I also wanted to order a RPK set, and asked him when they would be available. The only response I got was "soon". Meanwhile, I guess I'll be listening to the "Jeopardy" theme music for another 5 - 6 weeks....
Just curious, what make / model is your rifle?

Did you get walnut or laminated? makes a difference $$$$$$$
He usually catches up on his correspondence on Sunday...be patient, quality stuff is worth the wait.

Make sure you treat us to some juicy pics when you get your rifle finished!

Good luck brother

Old 03-05-2010, 11:10 PM   #7

Liked 56 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Awsome looking 90. can somebody give me a link to his sight.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:27 AM   #8

Here you go: IWDHome

Old 03-06-2010, 02:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockett007 View Post
Just curious, what make / model is your rifle?

Did you get walnut or laminated? makes a difference $$$$$$$
This rifle is a Bulgarian SA-93 (milled) and I decided to go with the walnut just for the look. I'm going to do a military style oil finish. I have another rifle I want to do as well - a Norinco NHM-91, (RPK clone ) that will probably get a laminate set. If and when Matt is ready to start producing those....

Old 03-06-2010, 02:29 PM   #10

Liked 56 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Thanks, HP.....

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.