Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AK & SKS Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   I want to get an SKS--need info please (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/i-want-get-sks-need-info-please-20412/)

Hey-you-guys 11-24-2009 09:19 PM

I want to get an SKS--need info please

I have been looking around for classic rifles. I love M1's, Mausers, AK's, and stuff like that. I had the opportunity to buy an SKS a while back but I waited too long and it was sold. Now I am in the market for an SKS again but I don't know much about them. I know they are inexpensive, most come with bayonets, and they are made in a lot of different countries. Here are my questions:
1) Are they reliable and accurate?
2) Does it matter what country they are made in?
3) How much should I spend? (I was thinking around $250-300 for a worn one.)
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jpattersonnh 11-24-2009 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hey-you-guys (Post 190288)
I have been looking around for classic rifles. I love M1's, Mausers, AK's, and stuff like that. I had the opportunity to buy an SKS a while back but I waited too long and it was sold. Now I am in the market for an SKS again but I don't know much about them. I know they are inexpensive, most come with bayonets, and they are made in a lot of different countries. Here are my questions:

1, Yes and depends on 2.
2, Accuracy is best w/ Russian from what I have found. Izhevsk is the most common, very accurate. Tula is much less common. You can do a Soviet arsenal stamp search to see what they look like.
3, Well I saw a 1953 Izhevsk in perfect condition and matching at a local shop for $140.00. That was a $400.00 rifle. 10 years ago it was a $125.00 rifle. They had no Idea what they had.

For a real nice SKS you need to look at local shops. That is where the deals can be found.

Hey-you-guys 11-24-2009 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpattersonnh (Post 190295)
1, Yes and depends on 2.
2, Accuracy is best w/ Russian from what I have found. Izhevsk is the most common, very accurate. Tula is much less common. You can do a Soviet arsenal stamp search to see what they look like.
3, Well I saw a 1953 Izhevsk in perfect condition and matching at a local shop for $140.00. That was a $400.00 rifle. 10 years ago it was a $125.00 rifle. They had no Idea what they had.

For a real nice SKS you need to look at local shops. That is where the deals can be found.

Thanks man. That last SKS I wanted to get was at my local pawn shop for $300 and I should've jumped on it. He said it was Yugoslavian but I'm not sure what to believe at pawn shops. Some of the guns they have cost more for a rusty one than if you buy it brand new.

res45 11-25-2009 12:42 PM

Quote:

Being your first SKS I would recommend you look for one of the Chinese variants,there not as expensive as the Russian and less problematics as some of the Yugo's with the grenade launchers can be,but I wouldn't turn down any version I ran across as long as it was in excellent condition and in my price range. In general any SKS in very good to excellent condition and being in it's original imported state will be reliable,accuracy varies from rifle to rifle,from my years of shooting SKS rifles I have found no one particular countries version that is more or less accurate than another. The condition of the bore,trigger and ammo used as well as your own shooting ability will have more to do with accuracy of the rifle than where it came from.

Right now SKS prices vary alot, expect to pay more for a quality Russian or the Chinese SKS M or D version that use detachable magazines. The Chinese standard 10 rd. fixed mag SKS and Yugo's run pretty close together price wise,If I had the choice and was comparing apples to apples between the Chinese and Yugo I would take the Chinese,get some experience with the working and quarks of the SKS and then find myself a nice Yugo later.

The main thing is to try and find one that is as close to original import condition,hasn't been bubbed and was somebodies else's problem,look for one with all matching # on all the main parts,overall condition of the rifle will tell you alot about it's past history and far as how well it was taken care of. Just load yourself up with as much info as you can before you spend your money so you know what your getting before yo take it home.

I gave $200 in Jan. of 08 for this Chinese factory 26 rifle that was new in box,there still out there and you should be able to get a nice rifle for $300 if your patient. This site has lots of pics and info on the various SKS rifles Yooper John's Gun Information

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j1.../Ammo008-1.jpg

robocop10mm 11-25-2009 01:21 PM

The Russians are reputed to be the best. The Yugos have a cool factor, but can have issues. Both are used surplus from their home countries. They may or may not have been cared for. The Chinese just work. Most of the Chinese versions (if not all) imported into the US were new manufacture, not used surplus. They were pretty consistant in their quality (not the highest quality, but consistant).

I have a Chinese version, I bought new in the early 90's for about $95. It has never given me a bit of trouble with over 1000 rounds fired down range.

Hey-you-guys 11-25-2009 06:58 PM

Thanks for all the help guys. I think an SKS would be a good choice for the zombie apocalypse.

jpattersonnh 11-25-2009 07:17 PM

Not enough rounds for a Zombie type killer! You'll need to line 'em up!

Laufer 12-09-2009 06:19 AM

You gents state exactly what I've seen in very many observations, among numerous topics at "SKSboards".

As stripper clips are pretty easy to insert, the extra money for the D or M, other than for the combat appearance looks, might not be worth it.
Was the so-called short "Paratrooper" mentioned? This was a series commercially designed for better export sales.

res45: Yours is a very nice duplicate of mine. Don't original looks have much more appeal?

res45 12-09-2009 12:21 PM

Quote:

Don't original looks have much more appeal?
For me personally yes I like mine original,in general terms they work the best the way they were made,I did replace the front sight post on both my SKS rifles with a TechSight target post about $7 shipped. Being my eyesight isn't what it use to be I ended up scoping my Yugo a few years ago so I can see what I'm hitting better at longer ranges than normal backyard shooting allows.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j1...Picture009.jpg

Stangman 12-11-2009 04:45 AM

Sks

I have owned a chinese sks for 10 years and it has always shot accurately! Mine is a pinned barrel instead of a threaded and it has always performed flawlessly. Easy takedown for cleaning and inspecting purposes. I would highly recommend one to anyone who wants a reliable rifle. :)